PDA

View Full Version : Springfield xd sights

jcameron996
10-14-2013, 05:20 PM
Has anyone out there successfully replaced the sights on a xd. I just surrendered my first attempt at swapping the sights on my wife's subcompact 9mm. I was using a universal sight pusher that came highly recommended, but the rear sight seemed to be pretty happy where it was and I quit before I completely destroyed the tool. Is there something I am missing? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I would like to do this myself, but I may have to turn it over to a professional.

Smoke4320
10-14-2013, 05:39 PM
XD sights are extremely hard to remove..
I usually take the slide off put inside a Ziplock freezer bag and put in the freezer for 3 days .. Then They are still hard to remove... just less so

wrinkles
10-14-2013, 05:50 PM
I've done several XDs. A good vice, cardboard from a 12pk to wrap the slide so it wont scratch a metal punch, hammer and a few good strong hits is all it's taken. You can also try spraying canned air on them to freeze them.

Cactus Farmer
10-14-2013, 07:29 PM
I had one that refused to move. A hack saw applyed to the center of it( not quite thru the whole sight) relieved the pressure. Came right out then. I'm wondering how big a steam hammer they use to instal them.

Postalpaul
10-15-2013, 10:25 PM
X2 ^^^ I had to hacksaw mine also
Broke two very well built site pushers when I installed my TFO sights

Willbird
10-17-2013, 08:57 AM
I have the luxury of a milling machine, so I just ran an endmill down the center of the sight into the dovetail, they came out easily then.

Bill

jcameron996
10-17-2013, 10:37 PM
I haven't decided what I am going to do yet. I appreciate all the suggestions. Glad to see that I am not the only one that has ran into this problem.