PDA

View Full Version : paperpatching mini's?

NSP64
11-04-2007, 09:17 AM
has anyone ever tried paperpatching a mini? most mini lubes are soft and messy and was thinking of trying patching to eliminate the lube.

dnepr
11-04-2007, 10:35 AM
I use a paper patched 425 grain 54 cal minnie in my hawkens with good results. works good from a clean barrel but fowling affects the accuracy after 3 or 4 shots. I use these for hunting where accuracy from a cold clean barrel is more important that accuracy after a couple shots.

StrawHat
11-04-2007, 12:34 PM
I had an article on paper patching a 54 Minie bullet but am no longer able to find it.

It was written by a Canadian fellow and he seemed to have good results.

If I dig it up I will post it.

StrawHat
11-04-2007, 03:34 PM
Read this, it might be interesting.

http://members.shaw.ca/bobschewe/

Buckshot
11-05-2007, 01:48 PM
.................I tried some 500 gr PP'd Minie' boolits in my P58 Enfield and they were nothing spectacular. May not have been fully upsetting into the somewhat narrow grooves? The cast Minie's were cast of the correct diameter to be patched with 20lb paper.

................Buckshot

piwo
11-05-2007, 10:24 PM
So far, following the above posted link this past winter, I had 0, zip, nada luck in paper patching my .54 flint...... Just shot meatball groups no matter what powder amount I tried. I was hopeful, but didn't work out for me. Tried a few different "bees wax lube" based recipies... Perhaps a different lube would have helped, but I'm not inclined to push my investigations right now.

Digital Dan
11-05-2007, 11:16 PM
Way I understand Minie design they were never meant to be patched.

JeffinNZ
11-06-2007, 04:39 AM
Well not such much. Remember the paper cartridges for the big 58's? The paper capsule was loaded on an undersized Minie so the surplus paper was torn off at loading and the remaining formed a paper jacket.

Lots of things in shooting weren't meant to be. Lee Enfields were never meant to be target rifles, Garands were never meant to fire cast bullets, etc, etc.

shooter575
11-07-2007, 02:12 PM
Only the english imported and one confederate mfg used the two paper wraped cartage during the C/W
All federal and most of the confederates use the single paper cartridge.The powder was dumped then the paper was discarded and the lubed minne ramed home.
Yah I know I am nickpicking...