PDA

View Full Version : whats this stuff

guncheese
10-14-2013, 02:00 PM
found 3 9mm rounds laying on the ground at the range this morn
they had 125gr TC in them (very hard alloy and no lube) are they powder coated?
all had different headstaps and they did not have a primer strike on them
i pulled them as im sure not shooting a booby trap (not that i really expected that
and they had almost 5gr of this in them (it smells like powder)

im pretty new at this but i havent seen a grey powder
at least i get 3 primed cases out of the deal

old beekeeper
10-14-2013, 07:51 PM
What you got there is Trail Boss powder. Works great in a lot of my loads, note the little holes which makes them look like little donuts. They are designed for CB shooters, fill the case pretty well, they burn about the same as bullseye, burns clean, great for shooting light loads in large capacity shells, like 45 colt, etc. I usually use about 5 grains in a .357 case under either a 125 grain or 158 grain cast boolits, pretty much precludes any chance of a double charge, shoots great, I don't shoot heavy loads in my Marlin or any other gun unless it is for hunting, which is why my guns are such good shape. I shoot it in my 1894 .357 and .44 mag, as well as my 336 35 Rem.

Beekeeper

guncheese
10-14-2013, 08:25 PM
hummm....
i had thought about trying some of that
been fiddling with loading for dad's 1894 and got some blue dot to mess with first off
if i see some ill have to give it a try

thanks!

runfiverun
10-14-2013, 11:02 PM
that powder looks more like clays than trail boss, either way it'd be fertilizer.

geargnasher
10-14-2013, 11:08 PM
Yup, Clays or Universal, depends on the grain size, Clays is larger and not greenish, Universal is greenish. Need a size reference for your fertilizer. Not sure on the bullets.

Gear

adrians
10-14-2013, 11:33 PM
No not TB ,
If you blow up (pun intended) that picture you won't see any holes.:twisted:.
Well I don't anyway,,,,[smilie=s: