PDA

View Full Version : Got my custom 6" bbl back from bluing for my DW 714

kweidner
10-14-2013, 11:26 AM
Had my smith create me one from a douglas premium. Douglas recommended against SS because of how fine the threads were? At first I didn't want to put a blued bbl in a SS shroud but really you can only see where the bbl nut goes. Douglas was the only barrel maker I could find that makes a 41cal bbl.
Did some load research this AM as the old load was not going to cut it for a custom bbl. It was printing about 1 inch at 20yds. I started at minimum with 2400 and went all the way to suggested max. The barrel exhibited an accuracy node between 18 and 19 grains with 18.5 coming in at .538 at 20 yards rested iron sights. I think I will take it. I just can't do much better than that with irons and a 6". This is using HT gold and felix lube as well. New RP brass and cci LP primers. Acww plus 1lb superhard and 9oz tin. It makes for around a 14bhn. 84285

Whiterabbit
10-14-2013, 11:37 AM
you pulled one shot high there :kidding:

wish I could shoot a pistol like that.

kweidner
10-14-2013, 03:53 PM
Sad thing was deciding on load was tough. Groups so Daggum tight the variance could very well be me. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/15/a8eny6u6.jpg here's 18, 18.5 and 19 gr groups.

williamwaco
10-14-2013, 05:11 PM
Worthless piece of junk barrel!:mrgreen:

missionary5155
10-14-2013, 07:07 PM
Greetings
What barrel twist is that ?
I do not know your background with DW so have you tried using no more than .0015 barrel gap ?
How tight are you installing the barrel nut ? My barrel nuts are "tight".
What boolit is that one ?
I ask all this because I have a caliber 41 mag DW. I found the 210 to 240 grainers very accurate in the 8 inch. 296 performed the best with mag loads. I also only neck size the brass.
Mike in Peru

kweidner
10-14-2013, 08:06 PM
Greetings
What barrel twist is that ?
I do not know your background with DW so have you tried using no more than .0015 barrel gap ?
How tight are you installing the barrel nut ? My barrel nuts are "tight".
What boolit is that one ?
I ask all this because I have a caliber 41 mag DW. I found the 210 to 240 grainers very accurate in the 8 inch. 296 performed the best with mag loads. I also only neck size the brass.
Mike in Peru

Yes it is a tight nut. .0015 gap. Twist is a 16 and the mold is Tom's 220k dropped at .413 sized to .411. Cylinders have been match honed and checked with pin guages. Trigger was touched up a bit. He made me an 8" too but I prefer the 6. I had him make one for each shroud. The 6 is a full underlug shroud and the balance just feels right in my hand. I have 3 sets if grips but currently have the hogue rubber on it. Under stout recoil it just feels better. I pretty much only hunt with handguns these days. Took three deer with it last year open sights with the 6". Furthest was 101 yds ranged and witnessed. DRT! I just couldn't find a decent load with no leading thus the new ones. I have shot hundreds through the 8 and about 100 through the six with zero leading.

I still have about a foot of bbl left. The two he made me already shoot so accurate really no need for another. Maybe if I find another shroud. Douglas will not warranty the stainless in this application as they were afraid of chatter on those tiny threads. Standard CM is fine with me. Here is the gun with 6" shroud prior to new bbl, hogue grips, and EWK fiber front sight in green.84325