PDA

View Full Version : Nose angle on the Lee Modern Minie ?

turbo1889
11-04-2007, 04:11 AM
Okay, I'm doing some design and prototype testing for a heavy 410 slug design. I need to know the nose angle used on the Lee "Modern Minie" molds in order to intigrate it into my next series of prototypes destined for testing. According to Mr. Lee the nose angle of this particular muzzle loading minie design is optimized to give maximum accuracy at typical muzzle loader velocities. Velocities that just happen to be very similar to that of shotgun slug loads. For further information on the particulars of this nose angle development reference page 119 and 200 of the Lee 2nd edition load manual.

This mold is offered in both .50 and .58 caliber. I own only .45 caliber muzzle loaders and thus do not have said molds and have no other reason to buy one except to meaure said nose angle.

Would one of you kind souls out there who has one of these molds be kind enough to measure that angle and tell me what it is? The Lee product numbers are 90471 and 90475 for .50 and .58 caliber respectively.

I just need to know the angle measurement and how you measured it. That is (a) or (b) below:

http://forums.handloads.com/uploads/turbo1889/2007-11-04_010734_Lee_Modern_Minie.jpg

Oh, yah, before anyone asks. Yes, I can kind of guestimate the angle from the picture but "guess" is the root word in that phrase. And, no, I don't trust the picture to tell the truth, for one it looks like a computer graphical representation rather then an actual picture.

Onlymenotu
11-04-2007, 08:55 AM
Humm sorry I can't help you on the minies nose angle ....& I'm sure you all ready know this..but just a friendly reminder.... shotgun reloading is not nearly as friendly as rifle( pitstola) reloading... the use of a wrong wad can send the presures through the roof.... make sure you have some load data,,, for what your doing... Good luck with your project....... and be safe

Rattus58
11-04-2007, 11:09 AM
I'm sure you are not going to have to have an exact replicated angle to have a good flying bullet of this type... straight sides the length of the bullet is more important to stability... in other words, a good bearing surface to ride the bore. Trash cans have always been good target shooters, but almost any bullet that has similar shape such as wad-cutters are good target bullets as well.

Aloha.... :cool: :drinks:

shooter575
11-04-2007, 06:45 PM
Using a mitutoyo protractor head and blade,A 2x magnfier and bright light I come up with
36 deg for angle A That is on a .578 version of the lee ashcan. I have the .50 version mould but could not find any cast ones around to measure.

turbo1889
11-04-2007, 07:32 PM
. . . 36 deg for angle A . . .

Thank You, I now have the information I need !!! Back to work I go.