PDA

View Full Version : gas checking 9mm

jacobslagle018
10-13-2013, 03:13 PM
Hey everyone! I have another entry level question for you all. I plan on casting 9mm rounds soon. I want to stay in the 124 grain range. I will be using hodgdon hs6 powder and plan on using PC for lube. My question is if I should use a gas check? I if I do need one, am I better off buying them or should I invest in equipment to make them. Thanks again everyone.

Wally
10-13-2013, 03:21 PM
I have used the RCBS 82025 124 RN in my Taurus 99AF... most don't feel they are necessary--the only way to know is to try with and without. I shoot PB in mine but it does lead up. After 20 shots I pass through a bronze brush with Chore Boy and it cleans up with a few brush strokes. Most would agree that shooting cast bullets in a 9mm SA pistol is a bit challenging... I found it to be.

LynC2
10-13-2013, 03:26 PM
I don't feel it is necessary in the majority of cases. I load for a 9mm EAA Match and a M&P using cast between 124 and 147 grs and never felt the need for GC's. BTW, HS6 shoots really well in both pistols. If you experience any leading, you may need to change your alloy, diameter or lube.

trapper9260
10-13-2013, 03:29 PM
I shoot PB in my 9mm and have no problem with leading.For what I know and works for me. I have use the lyman ones that you can also use for 38/357 also in PB .I do use gas checks in my 38/357 that is what I started off with years ago and then got the 9mm and went with PB and no problem.

jacobslagle018
10-13-2013, 04:29 PM
Thanks everyone. If it matters I am going to use a lee mold to start my casting. Is there a difference between the roynd and flat nose other than the shape and 1 grain in weight? Any suggestions on which to get between the two amd why? As said above I will load for my M&P so that is reassuring.

454PB
10-13-2013, 04:57 PM
I suggest you make up a few dummy rounds and check fit and function. I strive to load 9mm with the maximum OAL that passes the "plunk" test and feeds flawlessly. Nose shape does affect this seating depth (for proper feeding), and seating depth has a huge influence on cartridge pressure. So, find the proper OAL for the bullet (or boolit) to feed and fit correctly, then begin working up a powder charge that stays within acceptable pressure limits.

VHoward
10-13-2013, 07:41 PM
You also have to make sure the round will fit in your magazine. I had a SA pistol that would allow an OAL to fit in the barrel that was too long to fit in the magazine. I stayed with the published OAL's and was fine.

MUSTANG
10-13-2013, 08:59 PM
I have shot many thousands of rounds of cast boolits (RCBS MOULD 9MM-124-RN - Gas Check) with aluminum gas checks in my Beretta 92FS, and two Lugers (one a WWI made in 1918, and the other a WWII made in 1942). All shot & functioned well. The Lugers take a little hotter load to cycle, no leading with WW alloys. They make (made?) this mold in both a flat base and gas check base version.

Mustang

beagle
10-13-2013, 11:25 PM
I bought one of Pat Marlin's .35PB checkmakers when he first started delivering. I'm loading for four 9mms. Two HPs and two Blackhawk convertibles. I was running the Blackhawk bullets about .001" over the ones for the HPs. I started GCing all my 9mms and sizing .3575" and I can shoot in any of them with no leading. Primarily 358242 and 356402 in the HPs and 358430s in the Blackhawks. No leading. For me the PB GC is the way to go in the 9mms./beagle

Mike Hughes
10-14-2013, 08:08 AM
You might take a look at the Hi-Tek coating. There is a large thread for it in the boolit lube section. I coat boolits for my 9mm M&P. Push em through a Lee .358 sizer die and have had excellent results. Have shot over 2000 rounds without a spec of leading. No messy lube build up in your dies, no smoke when shooting, clean hands when loading, It's some good stuff

jacobslagle018
10-14-2013, 01:02 PM
You might take a look at the Hi-Tek coating. There is a large thread for it in the boolit lube section. I coat boolits for my 9mm M&P. Push em through a Lee .358 sizer die and have had excellent results. Have shot over 2000 rounds without a spec of leading. No messy lube build up in your dies, no smoke when shooting, clean hands when loading, It's some good stuff

Do you gas check your rounds?

Mike Hughes
10-14-2013, 03:27 PM
I make gas checks for all my rifle loads, but none for pistol caliber. I am loading mine with 4.2 gr of Unique. Your original post says you will be useing pc for lube. Is this powder coat? If so, you will not need a gas check. I like the Hi-Tek for pistol and PC for rifle

jacobslagle018
10-14-2013, 05:38 PM
I make gas checks for all my rifle loads, but none for pistol caliber. I am loading mine with 4.2 gr of Unique. Your original post says you will be useing pc for lube. Is this powder coat? If so, you will not need a gas check. I like the Hi-Tek for pistol and PC for rifle

Yeah PC was powder coat. I will also look at the Hi-Tek method post. What do you use as far as lead hardness on pistol rounds. The lead I recently purchased was around 10 or 11 for hardness.

Mike Hughes
10-14-2013, 07:07 PM
Yeah PC was powder coat. I will also look at the Hi-Tek method post. What do you use as far as lead hardness on pistol rounds. The lead I recently purchased was around 10 or 11 for hardness.
11 or 12 is what I usually use. I water drop them out of the mold and that hardens them up to about 14. But after baking the coating, they anneal down to around 8.

DrBill33
10-20-2013, 04:40 PM
I shoot 9mm and .380 cast. BHN of 14.5-16 (each batch of alloying varies a little). As of now, no GC (though I am exploring this). I have no leading problem.

If you are experiencing such a problem. I suggest that you look at PB BLOCKER. I use this in my .45/70 with cast bullets (same BHN as pistol).

blikseme300
10-21-2013, 12:02 AM
GC's are not needed for 9mmP and most other pistols. Hard cast is not needed either. The 9mmP can be frustrating to get right but the combination of proper sizing, lube and charge will work without leading and good accuracy. PC is interesting but as I have excellent results using traditional lube sizing I don't feel the need to pursue this.

I load and shoot about 10K/year in 9mmP through a mix of pistols with no leading and good accuracy. I typically only clean my pistols after about 1K through them and this is to get the soot and wax fouling out and to inspect the action.