PDA

View Full Version : bullet question

450 racer
10-13-2013, 02:11 PM
I picked up some fmj bullets for cheap that were pulled from 7.62x54r rounds they mic out at .310 and weigh 147gr other then accuracy not being as good as it should would there be any other issues in loading this for my 303 and 7.65x53?

Scharfschuetze
10-13-2013, 02:51 PM
Nope, no issues that I know of. Just follow normal loading procedures and work up till you have what you want velocity and accuracy wise

I use pulled Russian .310 bullets all the time (several hundred pounds of 'em in the garage) and while not MOA projectiles, they work well in my 7.7 Jap and my Lithgow SMLE. While they are .310, check your bore as they still may be too small to fully fit your bore for best accuracy.

Larry Gibson
10-13-2013, 04:59 PM
Nope, no issues that I know of. Just follow normal loading procedures and work up till you have what you want velocity and accuracy wise

I use pulled Russian .310 bullets all the time (several hundred pounds of 'em in the garage) and while not MOA projectiles, they work well in my 7.7 Jap and my Lithgow SMLE. While they are .310, check your bore as they still may be too small to fully fit your bore for best accuracy.

+1. I also load lots of AK/SKS/ MN pulled bullet in my 7.65 Argies and my .303 Ross M10 but it has a .311 groove depth. As Scharfschuetzer suggests slug the bore of your .303 as it may be too large. I've a bunch of pulled AK bullets that measure .311 which zing off into never-never land when shot out of my SKS/MN/Ross or Argies. Seems the copper coating on the steel jackets isn't holding in the .311 - .312 barrels. They work fine in my FR8 7.62 and my M1A though. They also work fine in any other .308 barrel. As mentioned just work up the load and don't expect other than atypical milsurp accuracy as there is a reason they were pulled and sold.

Larry Gibson