PDA

View Full Version : 307/7mm Winchester Encore barrel

lathesmith
11-03-2007, 05:54 PM
Here's another project I recently completed on my little lathe. I currently have a
7mm/08 SS 24" barrel for my Thompson Encore. I really like this caliber but...darn it, a single shot needs a rimmed cartridge. So, being the stubborn type, I decided to add one. Midway currently has 307 Win brass, so I ordered a couple hundred, probably way more than I'll ever need, but better safe than sorry. Anyway, using one of these cartridges after running it thru my 7mm/08 sizer die, I carefully fitted it to the barrel. I chucked the barrel using a 4-jaw chuck with some sheet lead, and spun it very slowly.
I am quite happy with the results. No more fooling with that darned spring-loaded extractor! No more scratched cases! The 307/7mm has a bit less capacity than the 7mm/08 case, so I backed my load of IMR 4350 back about 2 grains. I haven't crono'd it yet, but it shoots great. I guess this means my 7/30 Waters Contender barrel is now obsolete!
I can't take credit for "inventing" this idea. I saw it several years ago in a mag article by Layne Simpson, I believe. He used this cartridge for converting his lever gun to 7mm, and I think he called it something like the "7mm Shooting Times Easterner". Whatever it's called, I love it! Long live single shots (and lever guns!)
lathesmith