PDA

View Full Version : New CharGriller Smoker Grill

Shiloh
10-12-2013, 09:53 PM
We drove to Killeen Texas to visit my son. He stationed at Ft. Hood. Brought back a CharGriller Wrangler and added the Texas Style side firebox for smoking.

Tried it out today with a 3+ pound pork loin. It turned out GREAT!! Took under two and a half hours to cook. From what I have read, it should have taken about over three hours. Does this sound right?? It was my first time with my own barrel type smoker. My previous experience helped a lot, but the majority of that was done with a Weber type grill.

Next time I will put the rub on the night before, but it was juicy, smoky and flavorful. I did one of the pork fatties with a one pound sausage chub at the same time. That had a better smoke ring than the loin did.

It is late in the season here in the upper midwest, but would like to try a small brisket. Suggestions are welcome from those of you experienced pit masters. Thanks.

Shiloh

MaryB
10-13-2013, 02:41 AM
Get some aluminum flashing and roll it into a tube, slip it into the chimney so it extends down to grate level. Will help with heat and smoke control. Use a large hose clamp around the bottom or toss a rivet in it. Sealing the lid better would help too but not sure how you would do it, last time I looked at one of those it had way to many gaps.

Rick N Bama
10-13-2013, 08:31 AM
Tried it out today with a 3+ pound pork loin. It turned out GREAT!! Took under two and a half hours to cook. From what I have read, it should have taken about over three hours. Does this sound right?

Shiloh

Shiloh if a recipe states a certain amount of time, etc that is only a guideline. You should judge the doneness of the Loin by the internal temperature. I highly recommend a Thermometer from Thermoworks

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/?gclid=CMSm76Tnk7oCFasRMwodC24A4w

I never put anything on my smoker without making sure my thermometer is in good working order, unless it's Ribs that I'm smoking.

Rick

Shiloh
10-13-2013, 10:26 AM
Great Idea with the aluminum flashing Rick!!

Got a thermometer. From the grocery store for less than $20. Read 210˚ with boiling water which is pretty darn close for our 1200' elevaton.
As stated, this is my first experience with it. Things will improve. Yes it leaks smoke and therefore heat. I looked it over, and some tweaking fill fix the worst area's. The grill was $100 and the firebox another $65. Ya get what you pay for. I have seen and tasted great food from similar type smokers.
There are holes drilled at the factory for attachments and accessories. These extra holes are going to get plugged.

I'm pretty dedicated as a griller and have been doing it with a long time. Just like CastBoolits Forum made me a better caster and shooter of cast boolits, BBQ forums will do the same. I am stoked about doing a brisket. That may have to wait until next year. The Minnesota fall has arrived. Beautiful weather right now, but it will fade. Followed by winter.

Shiloh

MaryB
10-14-2013, 12:51 AM
I started out with the Brinkmann Smoke N Pit Pro, similar but the older ones had better and tighter construction. Upgraded to a Horizen offset and then a Klose mobile pit when I was catering. Downsized now that I am disabled into a Traeger pellet pit.

The Klose pit

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/maryalanab/bbqparty003-1.jpg

Shoulder bacon made on the traeger

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/maryalanab/bacon-003.jpg

Shiloh
10-14-2013, 06:12 AM
Looks Great!!
Eventually I'll get there. Tighter construction would help. Gonna work on tweaking it. First thing I do is add a support beam for the side firebox. To much weight on the side of the main chamber. Then close the accessory drill holes.

Shiloh

gwpercle
10-14-2013, 01:03 PM
Smoke a meat loaf some day, be sure it is a nice big one cause the first day's dining is great, but the next day it gets better and this makes the best meat loaf sandwhich you ever put in your mouth. This was not my idea, one of the other member's posted it and I tried it.
Now you done got me thinking of "smoked meat loaf sandwhiches" time to get the smoker out.

Gary

Shiloh
10-14-2013, 05:59 PM
Gonna do some scallops soon.
Meatloaf sounds GREAT. I love meatloaf anyway.

I bought a 5 foot piece of 3/4" steel electrical conduit today. That is what I an going to use to
brace the side firebox. Too much stress on the side of the main chamber. Going to put a cross piece by the wheels, then angle another
section up to the end of the firebox.

Shiloh

MaryB
10-15-2013, 12:58 AM
Meatloaf on the smoker is awesome and a standard for me. Make it about twice a month in summer. Should make it a couple more times before it gets to nasty to cook outside. I add a little BBQ sauce to the meat mix and then coat the outside.

Shiloh
10-15-2013, 05:23 AM
Raining here in our part of the country. Running out of time.

Shiloh

Moonie
10-15-2013, 09:48 AM
Wish the wife liked meatloaf, I'd smoke them more, smoked meatloaf is amazing. Doing some chuck roasts today or tomorrow. Some for pulling, some for making a smoked pot roast, smoking it for a little while, then into the pressure cooker for the pot roast bit of it. Going to do some baby backs this weekend, got an 11 year old daughter that loves ribs.