PDA

View Full Version : annual 200 yd outlaw sniper match

mike in co
11-03-2007, 05:41 PM
well normally about this time of the year, i'm pounding my chest for winning our annual sniper match. the main group is vintage mil surplus rifles with up to a 4x scope. we shoot various matches all year long without scopes, and then just this one match at the end of the year with scopes. honestly i have kicked butt in the past, but saw the writting on the wall. at my 100 yd sniper match last sunday.....two guys shot 100-7xand my best was a 98.
well i was correct. was beat buy both of those guys and one other...putting my first gun in FOURTH place. i do not know how i did with the other three rifles. i shot a mosin /finn m39, a yugo 98 8mm mauser, a swiss k31 and a 7.62 98 mauser.
the difference in 3rd and fourth was x count, my 190-4x being beat with 190-6 x's. we shoot a 100 yd mil target at 200. my 7.62 98 mauser was beat by two k-31's, not sure what the 2nd place shooter was shooting.

the winning score was a 196-?x......last year i shot a 199 and a 197........i could not get any of my rifle to shoot like they had in the past. must be time to re-do the load development.

all in all a great morning of shooting....there is always next year.

mike

Ken O
11-22-2007, 10:12 PM
What posisions do you shoot these matches? I'm guessing prone or kneeling, the scores seem high for standing. What target?

mike in co
11-23-2007, 07:39 PM
for this one match we shoot my favorite position....that would be bench with front and rear rests!
spotting scopes!
its a 100 yd. mil target..not sure which nra it is...but x is about an inch, ten ring two inches.

we shoot 100 yd bench spring summer fall( military bolt action bench rest)....iron sights till the last match of the yr, then same rule stock gun with up to a 4x scope.

mike

RU shooter
11-23-2007, 07:56 PM
for this one match we shoot my favorite position....that would be bench with front and rear rests!
spotting scopes!
its a 100 yd. mil target..not sure which nra it is...but x is about an inch, ten ring two inches.

we shoot 100 yd bench spring summer fall( military bolt action bench rest)....iron sights till the last match of the yr, then same rule stock gun with up to a 4x scope.

mike A "sniper's match" shot from a bench ! and with front and rear supports!! Say it aint so.......:(

Ken O
11-23-2007, 10:07 PM
Sounds like a benchrest match. I'm curious why they call it a sniper match. The sniper matches around here are shot from 100 to 600 yards, unknown distances, and off the ground with no mat allowed to lay on.

Larry Gibson
11-23-2007, 10:44 PM
Probably called that because they put a scope on the rifle. As to the match being shot from the bench, seems fine to me and I wish i could have been there. Some are more interested in the shooting than the play acting. No flame there just saying you don't have to play act to enjoy shooting. I've been to numerous "sniper" matches and most were just a "I can lay out more trick **** equipment on the line than you can and my ghillie suit is neater than yours,!" type matches. Simply shooting from the ground without a mat, even at longer ranges, does not a "sniper" make, sounds more like a prarie dog shoot to me. Now we'll hear from the bench trailer PD shooters I 'spose.

Got to say shooting the 100 yard target at 200 yards with only a 4X scope is a challenge with a milsurp rifle. Was this shoot with cast bullets?

Larry Gibson

trickyasafox
11-24-2007, 12:10 AM
regardless of what its called it sounds like fun! good shooting!

Ken O
11-26-2007, 12:22 AM
Thats kind of my point in a different way Larry, the guys that shoot sniper matches usually shoot off the ground. In other words, it would be like a match shot off the ground called a "benchrest match".
I havent shot a sniper match, I maybe will, but also dont get into the dressing up and such, just the shooting. The Cowboy matches look like fun, I would like the shooting part, but dont want the dressing up either, but I get an idea what they are by what they call them.
I would more likely to show up for a match for what it is, and don't need/want the "sniper" label. Thats just my opionion.