PDA

View Full Version : Stack-On Metal Gun Security Cabinet.

W.R.Buchanan
10-12-2013, 04:16 PM
I have a nice gun safe that I have had for nearly 30 years. It has been full for maybe 29.9 years.

I have several other guns that I want to lock up and CA has recently passed a law that if a gun is stolen from you because it wasn't locked up, and the person commits a crime with it, you go to jail and he goes free! or some BS like that.

I really only wanted to deter any amateur theft attempts since we live out of town and police protection is spotty at best.

I started looking for some kind of a locking metal cabinet instead of another safe that I had no place to put.

I found an outfit that makes a pretty good product that I'm going to tell you about.

The companies name is Stack On, and their products are well made in the US and affordable by anyone who shoots.

http://www.stack-on.com/categories/security-cabinets-gun-cabinets

I really wanted two cabinets, one for my garage shop so I could lock up my project guns, and another one for inside a closet to lock up my less expensive guns. All the really good stuff stays in the safe.

I found out that "Dick's Sporting Goods," a large Sporting goods chain, carried this product so I drove over to Oxnard and checked them out.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=4414541

I was totally and pleasantly surprised at both the quality of the product, and the prices. I got two cabinets, a 10 gun (17" wide 13.5 deep and 53" high) for $119.95, and a much larger 18 gun cabinet (21"w 18" deep and 55" high) for $199.95. ( I couldn't have bought even a small cheap gun safe for $350.

Both of these have Regular Key Locks so they are easy to get in and out of, and they are made out of 18 ga steel and powder coated black. They are both very good looking cabinets and the workmanship is excellent!

One thing that must be said is that 18 ga steel is just under 1/16" in thickness, so these cabinets could be breached if some one knew what he was doing, however they will keep just about any less determined amateur out for sure.

The other thing I found was that the cabinets are not designed to be free standing The small one only weighed about 25 lbs. and the large one was around 50 lbs. so you could conceivably pick one up and run with it. However as I said above they are not designed to be free standing, they are designed to be lag bolted to a wall or floor, and all hardware to accomplish this is included. You could also put a bunch of lead shot bags in the bottom to deter any junior weightlifters new to the burglary business.

I mounted the small cabinet on a wall in an available space in my Machine Shop. I chose to mount the cabinet about 6" off the floor in case there was any flooding in the shop which can occasionally happen. I have to tell you once this thing was stuck to the wall it became pretty solid. IE; it ain't going anywhere! Any flimsiness was gone since the stud wall now is a part of the cabinet. I was really impressed.

The larger cabinet is in one of my closets. It has a lot more to it than the smaller cabinet does as far as configurations, gun racks and shelving options. All are included. You can have one shelf at the top with gun racks all around, which is what I chose to do. Or you can have multiple shelves on one side with a vertical partition and long guns on the other side, they have got you covered however you decide to go.

I have got to tell you, "These things are really worth the money!" They are affordable to anyone who is a shooter. You can get into them pretty quickly because of the key lock, and they will deter all but the most determined thieves, not to mention your kids.

This is a really good product and you should have a look. :bigsmyl2:

Randy

jmort
10-12-2013, 04:32 PM
I agree, and they are CA DOJ compliant. I'm saving up for this and the Home Depot free delivery to store price is sweet, $322.00:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stack-On-Convertible-Double-Door-Cabinet-GCDG-9216-DS/100660120#.UlmxsdJONas

markinalpine
10-12-2013, 06:06 PM
You might also place one of these in the back of a closet so 1.) no one sees it at first, and 2.) it's harder to get at it with a pry bar. I think Stack-on makes a security cabinet designed to be mounted between standard wall studs, so it isn't very deep or wide, but has enough room for a couple of rifles, and an even smaller one for handguns.
Mark :coffeecom

WILCO
10-12-2013, 08:13 PM
A good product indeed.

dbosman
10-13-2013, 04:19 PM
If you put a storage cabinet in a closet, remember to "store" a fold up card table in front of the cabinet. Some of them are 18" x 48".

imashooter2
10-13-2013, 05:39 PM
I own basically the same thing made by Homak. I have no illusions that they will protect against anything other than a quick smash and grab type break in. A two pound hammer and a 12 inch wonderbar and that door will be open lickety split.

dbosman
10-13-2013, 05:53 PM
I wonder how much money the security cabinet companies put up for lobbying congress and state legislators?

If your house is locked, wouldn't that mean the contents are locked up?

Dutchman
10-14-2013, 04:22 PM
When I lived in northern Indiana there was a "surplus" store in North Judson, Indiana called Bailey's Discount Center. Cool place to go and wander around during winter.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Baileys-Discount-Center/228708141082

So they had a truck load of StackOn safes that were scratch-and-dent. I got there early as it was about 10 miles from where I lived. The one I bought had only the StackOn name place removed. No scratches or dents. $100. I bought the pistol safe for $40 that bolts to the top of the other safe. I have a 500 lb gunsafe but for the money I couldn't pass them up. Darn nice. This one below is the one I got and still use.

http://www.amazon.com/Stack-On-10-Gun-Convertible-Security-Cabinet/dp/B005K8DS6K

Whiterabbit
10-14-2013, 07:30 PM
I have one and I love it. I keep rifle cases, powder, extra primers in there. Sits right next to the real safe. It was a great investment.

They also go for sale on craigslist for <50 bucks every now and again.

wv109323
10-15-2013, 07:17 PM
For the one in the shop, I would take precautions to keep all crowbars,sledgehammers,axes and prybars....etc. out some distance from the safe. There is no reason to keep the tools to breech the safe in sight of the safe.

grumman581
10-15-2013, 07:40 PM
I can see maybe having something like that for storing gunpowder in as long as you leave an oxy-acetylene rig stored right beside it... Maybe reinforce the sides, top, back and bottom with 1/2" steel and just leave the door with the 18-gauge stuff... Kind of make a shaped charge out of it... <evil-grin>

Whiterabbit
10-15-2013, 09:21 PM
For the one in the shop, I would take precautions to keep all crowbars,sledgehammers,axes and prybars....etc. out some distance from the safe. There is no reason to keep the tools to breech the safe in sight of the safe.

From this cabinet? Better store screwdrivers out of sight.

Springfield
10-15-2013, 09:38 PM
I'd rather have my 2 safes. A safe should cost more than 1 gun, especially if you expect it to protect 10 or more.

jmort
10-15-2013, 10:02 PM
No safe will keep a determined thief or two out. Best idea is to keep them away from the last line of defense.

Silverboolit
10-17-2013, 12:44 AM
As Dad used to say "locks keep an honest man...honest"

Lloyd Smale
10-17-2013, 05:06 AM
ive got lots of rifles and my fire safe is only big enough for about half of them. Ive got 3 of the 12 gun stack ons for the overflow. I keep my most prized ones in the firesafe and the rest go in the stack ons. I bolted them to the floor and the wall so they wouldnt be any easier to carry out of the house then my fire safe is. A big advantage to me is the key lock at least for one of the safes. I keep all my ars in one safe in my bedroom and there all loaded. I keep the key by the bed. This way i can keep them all locked but dont have to fumble around in the middle of the night or under the pressure of a home invasion with trying to unlock a tumbler.

mold maker
10-17-2013, 10:40 AM
The best safe in the world is only an inconvienece to a determined thief.
While there is very little fire protection with stackon, it will keep snooping eyes and young fingers out of trouble, while meeting most ins and gov demands. It's price is extremely reasonable compared to any "safe".

snaketail
10-17-2013, 11:17 AM
My buddy came home one night and saw a set of wheel tracks across his front yard. The bad guys simply put his StackOn safe on a dolly and wheeled it away. If you are using a light weight safe make sure it is attached to something - like the floor, or wall, or pitbull.

M

Tdart
10-17-2013, 11:23 AM
If your house is locked, wouldn't that mean the contents are locked up?

My thoughts exactly. Makes sense, but the state of California is anything but a slave to logical thought.

W.R.Buchanan
10-17-2013, 07:54 PM
My Box in the garage has nothing but project guns and my two air rifles in it. Whereas I would prefer to not lose the airguns and my Springfield and a Mauser or two, I think they are safe enough for where they are located none of these guns are even remotely functional and anyone who actually got to them would be able to figure it out pretty quickly (no trigger , no bolt, no barrel etc.) and leave them behind. Believe me that lock box is one of the last things they'll be carting out of my shop since there is much more valuable stuff laying around.

Plus there's me with my shotgun at the exit door.

The intention is to keep out amateurs.

The one in the house is for less expensive guns. The good stuff goes into the safe.

The whole point to these cabinets is to have your stuff locked up and pretty much out of sight, out of mind.

Randy

Love Life
10-18-2013, 12:12 AM
I've had one for years...since 2007 I think. It works for what it is, but it is flimsy. Worth the $100? Yes. A solid gun storage container? Sort of.