PDA

View Full Version : Loading 38 spl - need some help / advice for noob

bedbugbilly
10-12-2013, 01:52 PM
I'm new at this and this will probably seem like a bunch of dumb questions but I don't want to screw up.

I am going to use two different cast slugs - the Lee TL358-158 SWC and the Lee 358-150-1R - see photo

In regards to the SWC 158 - just how far does this want to be seated in the case? My Speers #14 Manual shows an overall cartridge length of 1.440. I've also read that due to the tumble lube grooves, it can be seated and different depths and roll crimped on any of the grooves. I have also seen where it can be seated so the top shoulder (towards the end that points out of the barrel) is just below the rim of the casing and a light roll crimp applied. Can some one fill me in on what is the proper thing to do? I'm assuming that if seated too far in, it can increase the pressure?

I'm going to be using 3 different powders. Speers shows

AA2 - min 3.6 gr - max 4.00 gr
Unique - min. 4.0 gr - max 4.7 gr
Bullseye - min. 3.1 gr - max 3.5 gr

I have the AA2 and Unique - want to pick up some Bullseye to try it as well. I will be starting at the minimum charge and slowly work up - load about 10 of each powder in different charges

I'm just a little screwed up on what is proper as far as SWC and I've even had some factory target loads with them seated fairly far down in the case. I know the further the nose it out, the easier to guide in to the chamber but that really isn't a problem or a concern for me.

Can someone fill me in on what is the correct way to seat the 158 gr SWC and what dictates the distance in that it is seated?

Question 2

I regards to the 150 gr round nose - Lee 358-150-1R

I'm having problems coming up with data for this slug using AA2, Unique and Bullseye

I looked on "CastPics" which is supposed to be data for cast bullets. I went to 38 spl. and there are a number of different 150 gr. slugs - none referring to the one I have - they refer to different Lyman, etc. In looking under that page at 150 gr slugs, it seems like the powder recommendations are higher. They list Unique as min. 5 max. 6 and Bullseye min. 5 max 6. Why is that? Why so much higher than the load Speer recommends for the 158 gr SWC?84059

Can I use the data for any 150 gr cast lead slug - such as is shown on "CaastPics" or just how do I establish a min / max load for my powders. Is there that much difference between a 150 gr lead slug and a 158 gr lead slug to warrant that difference in the charges for the powders? I believe they list those loads at around 940 fps or so. Or, do I start with the recommended loads for the 158 SWC?

My plans are to roll crimp in the upper groove on this 150 gr round nose (groove nearest the round nose).

My goal is to work up target and plinking loads. These will be shot out of both 38 spl. handguns and 357 handguns.

Perhaps I am too worried or over thinking on this but would like to get it clear in my mind so I don't do something that will be unsafe. Two of my handguns are vintage - 1910 Colt Army Special and a S & W M & P Target (1920s) and I don't want to end up with a load too hot for them that could do damage. Thanks for your help - greatly appreciated.

fecmech
10-12-2013, 02:02 PM
I crimp the SWC in the second groove from the top just cause I like it that way. The RN I would crimp in the crimp groove. If you stay from the mid range to the low end of the loads you have listed I don't think you'll have any problems with your older guns. You also might want to up the temp on your casting pot, the RN looks cold.

jmort
10-12-2013, 02:05 PM
I use the 158 TL SWC and seat it all the way in to last groove. Unless it compresses your powder, not an issue. You can seat it out in a single shot rifle to get closer to the rifling but in a revolver you obviously don't want to get nose past the end of the cylinder.

btroj
10-12-2013, 02:47 PM
Crimp both in top groove.

Do NOT increase melt temp, increase MOULD temp. Get mould hot then keep a good rhythm going to keep it hot.

bedbugbilly
10-12-2013, 05:10 PM
Thank you fellas. Of all of the boolits I cast - I grabbed the first full ones out of the mold. I use a propane single burner and preheat the mold next to the pot as my lead is melting. Once I get going and get my rhythm, I don't have a problem - all slugs look good. Why I picked these to photograph is beyond me - they went back in to the pot. :-) I have cast RB and .58 Minies for years. I don't have a problem with the Lee molds - good value for the money but I still prefer a steel block. I got the Lees to try the styles/grain wt. out and will probably move on to a good steel block mold once I find what I like. Thanks again for the information - greatly appreciated. I just don't want to start out wrong in seating these - after shooting BP for 50 years this is a lot different than dumping a load of BP down the barrel and ramming a ball or Minie on top. I primarily wanted to re-load due to the price of ammo - nobody told me that this is really a hobby . . . and like most hobbies . . . it just seems to mushroom! :-)

btroj
10-12-2013, 05:32 PM
Oh, it isn't a hobby, it is an addiction. A hobby you can leave, casting won't let go of you.

Be sure to let us know how those bullets work out for you.

Char-Gar
10-13-2013, 06:11 AM
Yep,I would crimp both of these in the top groove and load them over 3 - 3.5 Bullseye or 4.5 - 5 Unique and go shooting with no more concern.

detox
10-13-2013, 04:39 PM
I have discovered that the Lyman 158 Cowboy boollit shape fits best in my revolvers cylinder. The boolits Ogive touches forcing cone of cylinder without extending past opening on cylinder. Verygood shooting boolit.

Larry Gibson
10-13-2013, 04:48 PM
I shoot lots of the Tl358-158-SWCs in my own .38 SPLs. It's pretty much the mainstay for standard 38 SPL loads because of the 6 cavity mould and because it is quite accurate at 38 SPL standard velocities. + another for crimping in the top groove. I'd also crimp in the lop groove of the RN as it looks like a standard crimp groove.

I load my TL358-158-SWCs over 3.5 gr Bullseye as that has been a "standard" load for years with 150 - 158 gr lead bullets in the 38 SPL. Having pressure tested that load it runs right at 14,000 psi which is less than several factory 158 lead bullet loads. It is a pleasant and accurate load.

Larry Gibson