PDA

View Full Version : AR 15 Question

Hickory
10-12-2013, 08:16 AM
If I buy a AR lower, can I build a pistol with it?

lancem
10-12-2013, 09:41 AM
My understanding is that it must be registered as a pistol when you purchase it, otherwise if registered as a rifle it would be considered an SBR in pistol configuration.

As an aside I've always wondered what the legalities would be of a pistol lower built into a rifle, I'm sure this would be a no no for some reason or another.

Larry Gibson
10-12-2013, 09:56 AM
Be best to get a written answer from BATFE on this one.....just to cover your *ss. Opinions from this forum will mean absolutely nothing in court if the question arises there.

Larry Gibson

blpenn66502
10-12-2013, 10:25 AM
Here is a ATF response that I believe answers your questions on page 2 with respect to stripped lowers.

http://princelaw.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/atf-response-ar15-type-pistols-name-removed.pdf

Hickory
10-12-2013, 11:21 AM
Thanks for that information.
I've never own an AR and never wanted one.
Although I have shot many a AR none ever impressed me.
However, I have had the opportunity to shoot an AR handgun and had a lot of fun.
And, to me owning guns are to have fun with-correct?

Jailer
10-12-2013, 11:29 PM
As long as it's a virgin lower and transferred to you on the 4473 as "other" you can make it into a pistol or a rifle.

carolina556
10-13-2013, 12:46 AM
It also depends on your state.....I know you can actually have a pistol length barrel but have to have a arm stock on it to make it legal without sbr paperwork being done, but if you put a rifle stock on it it needs to have paperwork....not sure if going from rifle to pistol is the same way. But I know in some states you can't have pistol ars.

woody13
10-15-2013, 12:13 AM
In California it had to of had the pistol on it before our ban. Or a lot get the lower single sled it then go with converting it back and shoot the ten round mags again. We can also make one from an 80% lower and build it up but we can not have a stock on it or the forward grip. You do need to check your laws for your state thats what will hold you back.

R.Ph. 380
10-15-2013, 12:29 AM
Can you build an 80% lower in California? I know you couldn't build an SBR or Pistol because you have to have a serial to notify for the tax stamp.

Bill

freebullet
10-15-2013, 12:34 AM
You can add a serial # also.

badge176
10-15-2013, 12:43 AM
Cannot ever go from rifle to 'pistol', only to Short Barreled Rifle with paperwork and approvals

badguybuster
10-19-2013, 11:32 PM
Remember tho, once it is built into a pistol lower it cannot be converted to a rifle afterwards

Jailer
10-20-2013, 09:56 AM
Remember tho, once it is built into a pistol lower it cannot be converted to a rifle afterwards

Yes it can.

http://www.atf.gov/files/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf

woody13
10-22-2013, 01:25 PM
Bill yes you can build from an 80% lower but you as the builder must do it, sled it then convert it as the guidlines say. The ATF is closing build parties here now because they have deemed putting it in the machine and pushing a button is not you the builder doing all the work. You can later sell the lower if you choose it must have a serial number, the manufacture info on it then sold through an ffl. I have made a few that I have milled myself and own. Also it cannot have more than a ten round mag or a forward grip on it are a few of the restrictions here.

xacex
11-01-2013, 12:11 AM
Quite a few things have changed regarding stripped lowers and converting back and forth from pistol, to rifle then pistol again since Thomson vs BATF. That case made a few changes to how kit guns, or convertible guns can be configured. Basically now any virgin stripped receiver or 80% unless transferred in a "special" state like California can be built as a pistol first if transferred on the 4473 as "other", and reconfigured as a rifle, and back to a pistol (as long as you you follow the steps to not create a SBR by having combined a stock with a short barrel). It is all laid out on the BATF website, as well as a thread on AR15.com with scans of letters from the BATF regarding this.
You can always write the BATF with your question, and what you would like to do to have on record for yourself, but since it has been covered, and letter are already out there the same laws apply to you. You can use those letters to inform the uninformed.