PDA

View Full Version : Whoo hoo, I got the H&R Trapdoor tonight.....

303carbine
10-12-2013, 01:59 AM
Santa showed up early this year, I made a trade for the Trapdoor tonight, I swapped a Model 70 30-06 and $180.
I got a box of 405 Remington jacketed ammo, which will be promptly reloaded with big chunks of cast lead.
I also got a box of brass that was fired in the Trapdoor, a trip to the ammo store for some 777 or black to light off in the new purchase.
But in the meantime, I have a schwack of IMR 4198 and about 500 or so gas checked 420 grain cast to shoot in the new H&R Cavalry Model 45-70.
I am stoked and soon the little punkin thrower will be to. :cbpour:

wcavasos
10-12-2013, 03:13 AM
I just recently shot a friend of mines 45-70 for the first time and was blown away. I thought the recoil would kill me but it was actually quite pleasant to shoot. I was surprised at how much fun it was to shoot. I thought those guns were more for heavy-hitter type hunting situations but it turned out to be a blast to "plink" with as well. Congrats and have fun

Larry Gibson
10-12-2013, 09:50 AM
Pictures?

Larry Gibson

303carbine
10-12-2013, 12:54 PM
I can get a couple pics later, first it's off to the range for some testing.
I am loading some 405 cast, I will be trying about 30 gr. of IMR 4198, should I use a filler like cotton or such to take up the space in the case.?

bigted
10-12-2013, 02:11 PM
30 grains shouldn't need filler for just shooting but in my experience the filler will be a bit more accurate as it keeps the powder in the same position and thusely the ignition remains the same shot to shot.

a sumptin to maul tho concerning filler. I ALWAYS ensure that the filler is compressed so I NEVER take a chance on the ruination of a fine firearm with a wrung chamber or worse ... the empty area between the filler and the boolit base is an opportunity for the shock wave inside the case to react as if it has met an obstruction in the bore and when it bounces back from the boolit/obstruction ... it meets the rest of the igniting powder and really smacks into each other causing an immense pressure spike that is very hard on any rifle and at the least can split cases and the worst it CAN split barrels. this is one reason I use corn meal for filler as I KNOW that there would be NO air pocket allowed from the compression of the c/m. I hesitate using cotton or pillow fill or anything else except cornmeal or cream o wheat for my fillers.

I know there are plenty folks that use several "lite" objects for their filler instead of the heavier c/m or com ... so it is not an ONLY that im talkin about ... just a [this is my way] thing.

what saves the bacon with smokless powder is the fact that it continues its power stroke with the boolit going up the barrel so the pressure is contained what with the moving boolit making the space to allow the pressure to build without finding a barrel obstruction to bounce off of. problem with just small amounts of smokless is the different ways it may lay in the case when the primer ignites it ... therefor building pressure differently with every shot.

this very thing is the main reason ... [world according to ME] ... that blackpowder makes such accuracy with so archaic powder with the need for dealing with the fouling ... even tho ... the powder is loaded the same each shot with the same compression shot to shot ... therefor ensuring that the powder is the exact same in position shot to shot ... AND ... therefor the ignition thru the powder making power in the exact same way shot to shot.

Scharfschuetze
10-12-2013, 07:01 PM
You'll have fun with it for sure. I'm looking forward to some photos.

They are easy to load for and they handle almost any weight of cast bullet well. Their modern bore dimensions also contribute to the ease of finding an accurate load for them.

303carbine
10-13-2013, 04:23 PM
I have pics of the Trapdoor if someone can post'em for me, send an email and I will forward the pics, thanks, John

Scharfschuetze
10-13-2013, 10:00 PM
John,

Are they digital photos and are they on your computer? If so, we can walk you through the process of uploading them directly to the sight.

303Guy
10-16-2013, 03:50 AM
303 sent me copies which I have attempted to post but I can't seem to upload them due to their size. Not the pixel size but the file size.

bigted
10-16-2013, 12:02 PM
on my computer I have what is called "paint" and when I right click on the picture ... in the menu that comes up is the "paint" which I left click on ... and then ... in the left corner there is a spot that says "resize" which I left click on ... and... then in the box there is two dimensions which are currently set at 100 %... I take my mouse and holding the left down I 'rub' it to the left over the top 100 and it turns blue. then type in a 15 or maybe a 20 and this will replace the 100 with that number in both box's... now I left click the upper left 'save as' button and save the new size photo in the same file. now when you wanna use the photo it is down to a size that is manageable.

hope this helped some and didn't confuse... im not the computer guru that some are but I catch one every once inna while.

nanuk
10-16-2013, 12:31 PM
I had an original 1873 TD and wow... more fun than should be legal.

I got to handle an H&R TD but never shot... but I surely wanted one of my own, but have never found one yet.

You keep us in the loop as to the fun you have with that firearm, will ya?

Tom Trevor
10-16-2013, 07:45 PM
You can also e-mail the pictures to yourself and that will resize them. Do that on the ASSRA site post there direct from files.

Scharfschuetze
10-16-2013, 09:08 PM
You can also e-mail the pictures to yourself and that will resize them. Do that on the ASSRA site post there direct from files.

One of the easiest programs for sizing and reducing file size and other photo management tasks is "Irfanview." Google it and download the freeware program and you never try to use the MS program that comes with most PCs and lap tops running Windows.

Link: http://downloads.gufile.com/V2/irfanview?mkwid=8UqInqwg&pcrid=3177191728&kword=irfanview%20download&match=e

I'm anything but a computer guru, so if I can use it I think that you'll find it quite usable. I use it all the time to manage my firearms photos for uploading here. My avitar to the left is an example of its output.