PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use a TruGlo red dot sight on a 30-30

bayjoe
10-11-2013, 11:37 PM
I traded for a red dot sight, wanted to put on a M4 but it is to low. So I was looking at the thing and thought that might be pretty cool on my Marlin. Just wonder if anybody has tried it and if it works

Denver
10-15-2013, 11:53 PM
I have a Tru Glo red dot that has been on a couple of my handguns and on a Marlin 336. I think it was less than $50. It's held up very well even on my M29 44 mag.

44minimum
10-18-2013, 10:06 PM
I had one of their red/green dot sights on an AR 15. I bought it new for $80 or so and it had a reticle that you could change to one of 4 settings. It died somewhere between its 2nd and 3rd shooting session and I will not be getting another truglo. And I'm pretty sure that it didn't even get banged around enough to matter.

Garyshome
10-18-2013, 11:08 PM
Nope the tru glo went on the sks. The Marlin came with it's own scope.

W.R.Buchanan
10-20-2013, 03:06 PM
Instead of a Truglo try a Bushnell TRS 25. I have 5 of them on various guns and none of them have had any problems whatsoever. They also have a lifetime warrantee not that you would need to use it.

The fifth one is going on my Ruger GSR and I will use it out to 300 yards.

For a 30-30 levergun it would work very well, and be superior to just about any other sighting system for the intended purpose of that gun.

Randy

badguybuster
10-20-2013, 03:08 PM
I have two of the bushnell trs red dots and they are worth twice what tge price is. Had one on a 50 beowulf and it held up so you cant beat them

TXGunNut
10-20-2013, 03:41 PM
Thanks, guys. Was looking at the TG sights @ Cabelas yesterday. Midway has the Bushnell sight on sale, free shipping!

jh45gun
10-21-2013, 01:24 AM
I have a BSA on my 94 Winchester and have had no issues.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/jh45gun/WP_000151.jpg

W.R.Buchanan
10-21-2013, 09:40 PM
Tx GN: I just bought 2 more at the beginning of the month. They were on sale with free shipping can't beat that .

One is for my Kel-Tec Sub 2000 and the other is for my Ruger GSR to interchange with the Leupold 3x9.

Just buy it,,,You'll like your purchase, or else you can yell at me for talking you into it!

Randy

Ben
10-21-2013, 10:08 PM
Instead of a Truglo try a Bushnell TRS 25. I have 5 of them on various guns and none of them have had any problems whatsoever. They also have a lifetime warrantee not that you would need to use it.

The fifth one is going on my Ruger GSR and I will use it out to 300 yards.

For a 30-30 levergun it would work very well, and be superior to just about any other sighting system for the intended purpose of that gun.

Randy

I just checked this item ( Bushnell TRS 25 ) on Midway's site.
They say it has a 2 yr. limited warranty ? ?

Ben

Speedo66
10-22-2013, 11:29 AM
Bushnell home site says 2 years on products with electronics, these included.

NSB
10-22-2013, 12:06 PM
I had two of the Bushnell TR25 red dots and sent them both back. Each one had a lot of parallax. Easy to tell...sit it on a steady surface and put the dot on an object and then move your head around. The dot won't stay on the target. My other red dots don't do this. I currently had an UltraDot Match Dot and two Burris FF3 red dots with no noticeable parallax. Also, there are no lens covers available for the TR25 sights. The TruGlo's are probably a little worse in this regard than the TR25 sights. You pretty much get what you pay for with red dot sights. Sorry to say it, but I have yet to see any of them under a hundred bucks worth owning.

TXGunNut
10-22-2013, 11:05 PM
Tx GN: I just bought 2 more at the beginning of the month. They were on sale with free shipping can't beat that .

One is for my Kel-Tec Sub 2000 and the other is for my Ruger GSR to interchange with the Leupold 3x9.

Just buy it,,,You'll like your purchase, or else you can yell at me for talking you into it!

Randy

Saw that, thanks. Already ordered it based on your feedback. Will try it out this weekend, may need to order another for my black rifle if it works out. I'm not a fan of red dot sights but my presbyopic eyes are overriding that longstanding veto.

TXGunNut
10-22-2013, 11:14 PM
I had two of the Bushnell TR25 red dots and sent them both back. Each one had a lot of parallax. Easy to tell...sit it on a steady surface and put the dot on an object and then move your head around. The dot won't stay on the target. My other red dots don't do this. I currently had an UltraDot Match Dot and two Burris FF3 red dots with no noticeable parallax. Also, there are no lens covers available for the TR25 sights. The TruGlo's are probably a little worse in this regard than the TR25 sights. You pretty much get what you pay for with red dot sights. Sorry to say it, but I have yet to see any of them under a hundred bucks worth owning.

Thanks for the "head's up", think it may suit my needs anyway. I'm accustomed to getting a good cheekweld so doubt I'll notice the parallax issues you encountered. I don't much care for red dot sights so won't be spending much on one until I figure out if I can make it work. If I needed one for heavy-duty patrol or comp use I'd step up to the Trijicon or something similar but for occasional hunting or plinking I think the Bushnell sight has real potential. Bushnell has made some cheap junk but they also make some pretty decent stuff sometimes and the price is right on this item. We'll see.

W.R.Buchanan
10-23-2013, 07:29 PM
AS I have stated many times I now have 5 of these sights, I wouldn't have more than one if they were junk.

As far as the parallax goes how is this a problem? I have not experienced this issue and I have been shooting these extensively for 2 years now with no failures or shifts in zero.. You have to look directly thru the thing to see your target. You are not looking thru it sideways, If you have a cheek weld and are looking thru the sight and have a full round image, Just like on a scope type optic, then the dot is on. Parallax is not a factor.

I might be wrong about the warrantee, but if it failed I doubt they would kick you in the teeth. I think they would just send you another one.

NSB: I think your results are non typical, and as far as moving your head around who does this when shooting a rifle? The reason why I say your results are non-typical is because the reviews on this product are almost universally 5 stars from virtually every major outlet.

The optics you are comparing these sights to are all $500+ optics. I fail to see $410 worth of difference for the intended purpose. The TRS-25 does what it is supposed to do for a very reasonable price, and that is the whole point of the product.

Note: lens covers on sight. Not flip ups, but they work just fine. There are no small flip up lens covers below about 26MM for anything.

Randy

NSB
10-23-2013, 08:45 PM
AS I have stated many times I now have 5 of these sights, I wouldn't have more than one if they were junk.

As far as the parallax goes how is this a problem? I have not experienced this issue and I have been shooting these extensively for 2 years now with no failures or shifts in zero.. You have to look directly thru the thing to see your target. You are not looking thru it sideways, If you have a cheek weld and are looking thru the sight and have a full round image, Just like on a scope type optic, then the dot is on. Parallax is not a factor.

I might be wrong about the warrantee, but if it failed I doubt they would kick you in the teeth. I think they would just send you another one.

NSB: I think your results are non typical, and as far as moving your head around who does this when shooting a rifle? The reason why I say your results are non-typical is because the reviews on this product are almost universally 5 stars from virtually every major outlet.

The optics you are comparing these sights to are all $500+ optics. I fail to see $410 worth of difference for the intended purpose. The TRS-25 does what it is supposed to do for a very reasonable price, and that is the whole point of the product.

Note: lens covers on sight. Not flip ups, but they work just fine. There are no small flip up lens covers below about 26MM for anything.

Randy

Randy, regardless of the reviews you say you've read, it's a simple check to see if parallax is present. In the two I had it was very present and to a point of not being acceptable. The two sights I suggested are no where near the prices you quoted. They can be had for a little over two hundred dollars and that includes shipping. If you're happy with what you have, that's great. You feel you got your moneys worth. When I received the two I got and checked them out I didn't feel they were good enough for me to keep. I've been using red dot sights for over twenty years and I've owned a lot of different brands. I shot competition for many years and the quality of the cheaper sights just isn't there. You NEVER see these bargain sights being used by competition shooters (the ones that win anyhow). They are commonly referred to as "a red light in a tin can". Different strokes for different folks. If you like yours, you got your moneys worth.

TXGunNut
10-23-2013, 11:37 PM

I think I can make this work. Sorry about the hijack, OP.

W.R.Buchanan
10-24-2013, 12:55 PM
NSB: Sometimes disagreement is part of intelligent conversation. I applaud your civil tone. So many get bent out of shape when someone disagrees with them.

I do feel strongly on the Value of these optics based on my personal experience. However I realize that others may feel differently and that's fine.

I was trying to steer others to a product that will deliver for them, and not break the bank, and give them better service than the other lesser brand mentioned by the OP. Also if the thing does cack under the warrantee the company will stand behind it. Also if it is broken by dropping the gun or some other heinous act, you're only out $90.

Sure they are an inexpensive optic and maybe not as good in some ways as higher priced optics, but they will do the job, and do it well enough to satisfy a lot of people. Like I said I have 5 of them and they are all being used in competition so well see how long they hold up. The one on my Kel-Tec already has 1400 rounds thru it with no shift in zero or malfunction of any kind. The one on my MINI14 has 400 rounds thru it and the AR has about 400 thru it as well. The other 2 I have are in process being mounted. One is on my Ruger GSR .308 awaiting a trip to the range for site in.

The point being sometimes good enough is good enough.

Randy

TXGunNut
10-24-2013, 09:03 PM
I like disagreeing with you, Randy! That generally means I'm about to learn something. ;-) I'm not opposed to spending $200-600 on optics, just don't like doing it very often. One of the goals of this particular rifle was low-budget, fits in nicely. Just spent a similar amount on a trigger for another Marlin, takes half that to fill my gas tank. I think the value is there. I may move up to the Aimpoint, Eotech or Trijicon someday but just can't do it today. I'm pretty impressed with the little buggar so far, hope I get to check it out this weekend. Thanks for the tip!

W.R.Buchanan
10-26-2013, 11:35 PM
Tex: don't get me wrong here, I'm basically a *******. I just have a decent grip on reality. What that means is I have the ability to see what's actually there, as opposed to others who see what they want to see.

This is how I know that our President is a lying SOB.

In the history of this country we have never had a better example of,,, "the King has no Clothes!"

Many see the Messiah... All I see is a naked half black man with small pee pee.

Randy

jh45gun
10-27-2013, 08:23 AM
Maybe your eyes have parralax :) Just joking I have never had an issue with cheap dot sights they work for me. I have a Bushnell Trophy red dot on my 22 pistol and it works fine. Not the small one talked about here one of the larger one inch models with multiple reticules. I never used to like them when they came out figured they were not as precise as a scope but I gave them a second chance and for fast getting on target they work great and easier to use than open sights.

TXGunNut
10-27-2013, 12:41 PM
Tex: don't get me wrong here, I'm basically a *******. I just have a decent grip on reality. What that means is I have the ability to see what's actually there, as opposed to others who see what they want to see.

This is how I know that our President is a lying SOB.

Randy

Randy, we all know you're not a ******* and furthermore you know what works for you and generally know why. That's why I value your opinion. We can probably both afford better scopes but I'm amazed at the level of quality and function in these inexpensive red-dot sights. Nursing a bad back today or I'd be out putting that sight thru it's paces, may slip out there for a while later if the weather stays agreeable.

W.R.Buchanan
10-27-2013, 04:09 PM
Tex: Thanks for the kind endorsement.

The first step in becoming smart is to realize that you aren't. Then you can work on getting better.

The ones who think they are smart, have to get over this first. This takes valuable time away from their education.

Those who "don't know" that they,,, Don't know,,, are a big problem for our society.

Look at what they are doing right now. Never before has our country been is such a state of chaos.

It will take a long time to fix it .

Randy

PS... As I recall the weather in Texas changes about every 20 minutes? Hopefully you'll be able to shoot some today.

TXGunNut
10-27-2013, 08:52 PM
No, didn't make it to the range but I got a little loading done. Back hasn't done this in awhile but it's making up for lost time. :-(
I've been doing what I do for a living for 35+ years but somehow manage to come across as a country bumpkin to most "internet instant experts". It's kinda fun sometimes, other times it makes me tired.
I'll never learn anything from someone who agrees with me 100%. There was a time I didn't think much of Richard Lee but I bought his reloading manual anyway. Will still disagree on some stuff but the list is getting shorter. I've been reloading over 30 years and between this site, Richard Lee's manual and Fryxell's book & articles I've learned more in the last couple of years than I did over the last several years.
This thread is another good point. When we started carrying patrol rifles I stood firm against putting optics on my rifle. As-issued sights worked, my eyes worked, I took pride in doing well-usually beating-officers with dot sights and other mail order junk in our monthly matches. I figured the rifle bounced around in the trunk of a squad or behind the seat of my pickup in a soft case, I figured when it came out of the case it had to work, no excuses.
Now I want a plinker or a quick, low-light feral piggy exterminator so I've had to change my tune, especially since peeps aren't as sharp as they used to be. ;-)