PDA

View Full Version : Searching load data for Falcon Bullets 240 LSWC .44 mag SRH

Animal
10-11-2013, 09:59 PM
Hey guys,

I picked up a box of Falcon Bullets boolits to try out in my Ruger SRH. I have not loaded for this firearm yet. I'm expecting my Lee 3 die set to show up on Monday.

I've got a few good slow powders to choose from, Alliant 2400, Blue Dot, Win 296 and IMR 4227. Falcon Bullets doesn't provide load data for their boolits, but I have a few manuals to draw info from.

I don't have a mold for my SRH yet. I bought these boolits because I wanted to sort them out by diameter to determine the best fit and to see if my SRH likes the SWC design before I commit to a mold.

The boolits are a traditional SWC design, but with a bevel base. Would I be fine if I used SWC load data that would be based off of an RCBS, Lyman or Lee mold? I'll roll crimp in the cannelure as always, but not knowing if my seating depth with the Falcon boolits is taking up too much or not enough case capacity is bothering me... especially with powders like Win 296.

Any info you have on the subject would be great. Thanks.

454PB
10-11-2013, 10:13 PM
Yes, you should do fine with any of those powders, just work up from below. A SRH is a brute, you don't have any worries about gun strength. I prefer to seat boolits a long as the crimp groove and cylinder length will allow.

Larry Gibson
10-12-2013, 09:48 AM
Try 18.5 - 19.5 of the 2400 or 15-17 gr of the Blue Dot.

Larry Gibson

MT Gianni
10-12-2013, 02:12 PM
If you are concerned measure the bearing depth of your bullets against a 429421. If it is less or similar use those recommended loads.

bmortell
10-14-2013, 03:59 AM
I load 22gr 4227 under 240 swc beveled base in my sbh for all purpose woods carry round, listed as max load although srh's eat strong loads for breakfast

Animal
10-15-2013, 11:55 AM
My dies should be here tomorrow. I don't know how soon I'll get to load up some test loads, but I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks guys.

Ben
10-18-2013, 01:16 PM
Animal

You may eventually find that the bevel base really isn't your friend.

Many on this forum much prefer a plain base bullet vs. the bevel base.

Ben

felix
10-18-2013, 01:25 PM
Ben is right on, Animal! Yes, some loads work OK, and those that do typically produce low pressure when compared to the more typical for the round. That would be your 4227. 22 grains would be a full load with that powder, and might do allright after some trials with a much lower load first. I would suggest starting with 18 grains or so with that bevel base jobbie, expecting some unburnt powder. If accuracy is acceptable, so what! Keep increasing by a grain at a time, looking for accuracy to fall off as your limit, and then subtract a half grain for the keeper load. ... felix