PDA

View Full Version : Knob creek machine gun shoot

Pb2au
10-11-2013, 09:06 PM
Just spent the day at the Knob Creek machine gun shoot with my wife and some other friends. I got to see some really interesting historical pieces operating in all their glory. What a very good time.
If anyone can get the time, I would definitely suggest you attend.

KYShooter73
10-11-2013, 09:14 PM
Doh, missed it again. Ive been 3 times, but not for a few years. It was always a good show.

gew98
10-11-2013, 11:36 PM
This is my 15th/16th year...be there in the am , and likely stay for the night shoot. Too many friends and too much fun to miss. And being 30 miles from the place helps a little. I usually make it there friday..but had to work today.

Bzcraig
10-11-2013, 11:47 PM
Will they let a Californian come, cause I sure as heck won't find one here!

Got-R-Did
10-12-2013, 11:22 AM
I went with my Daughter and a couple of her classmates from H.S. All are either National Honor Society or Senior Beta Club and are equally passionate about shooting. First M.G. Shoot for the other students and they are hooked. As usual the American Huey 369 Group was there and I put my Daughter and her buddy on a flight around the area. It was their first time on a helicopter and the first time flying for her friend. Like GEW98 I have attended many years since it's inception, missing a few years due to either travel or living elsewhere.
All are welcome here, and you should make the trip at least once. I, too, think the night shoot is the highlight of the entire weekend.
Ammo was plentiful with pallets of 5.56 M855/SS109 going for $450 per K tax included. Pat's Reloading had 100s of thousands of primers and Hornady component bullets for common calibers. Primers were $35 per K in all flavors. Propellant choices were limited, but most of the popular ones like IMR-4895, RL-15, AA#5 and H-335 were running $180 per 8 lb jug.
Got-R-Did.

MT Gianni
10-12-2013, 01:58 PM

Yes, I chaperoned my Nephew for his Senior trip [of one]. We had a great time though when you ask me to be a chaperone you are down to the bottom of the bbl.

gew98
10-12-2013, 02:26 PM
I went with my Daughter and a couple of her classmates from H.S. All are either National Honor Society or Senior Beta Club and are equally passionate about shooting. First M.G. Shoot for the other students and they are hooked. As usual the American Huey 369 Group was there and I put my Daughter and her buddy on a flight around the area. It was their first time on a helicopter and the first time flying for her friend. Like GEW98 I have attended many years since it's inception, missing a few years due to either travel or living elsewhere.
All are welcome here, and you should make the trip at least once. I, too, think the night shoot is the highlight of the entire weekend.
Ammo was plentiful with pallets of 5.56 M855/SS109 going for $450 per K tax included. Pat's Reloading had 100s of thousands of primers and Hornady component bullets for common calibers. Primers were $35 per K in all flavors. Propellant choices were limited, but most of the popular ones like IMR-4895, RL-15, AA#5 and H-335 were running $180 per 8 lb jug.
Got-R-Did.
Came home for lunch , back there at nightfall.
I loaded up on primers and some IMR powders. Got a load fo 7,62 & 5,56 tracers. I even splurged on soem 22 rimfire tracer again. The 55 gn 223 bullets available were a wee bit overpriced and most were badly pulled. I noticed that the few available 8lb jugs of surplus 846 powder went from last years $75 to $130 this time around...not a deal there. Stood by the cannon and had a blast with the concussion wave...little man loved that the best...managed three times close up for that black powder monster barking. The kid loved the short barreled 1919 as it had one helluva muzz blast - flash & sound.
Gotta load some up now and then take the mini-me out to the stand for youth hunt till dusk...then back to knobber.

Rick N Bama
10-12-2013, 03:55 PM
My Daughter, SIL & 3 grandsons are there. So far I know they've shot a MG42, Uzi, MP5 as well as a BAR. The last I heard my Daughter was about to board the Huey.

Rick

Bad Water Bill
10-12-2013, 07:00 PM
What I have always wondered is "WHO GETS THE BRASS":bigsmyl2:

Got-R-Did
10-12-2013, 07:34 PM
The 12 Pounder Parrot Rifle was indeed a blast! Got to see it for the first firing from the fence behind it and yes the shock wave will flatten your shirt to your chest. Missed the second firing due to wandering around in the gunshow area. Watched the third firing from the bleachers and still felt the concussion from 30 yds away. I think Jack, one of the kids with us, got it on his IPhone. If I can get a copy of the video, does anyone know how to post it in this thread?
Got-R-Did.

Pb2au
10-12-2013, 10:28 PM
What I have always wondered is "WHO GETS THE BRASS":bigsmyl2:

At the April shoot, as we were walking out I noticed about 15 55 gallon barrels filled with either steel cases or brass ones. This was done by the owners I believe. I'm guessing they take possession of it and either recycle it or sell the desirable stuff.
Either way, I saw enough 30-06 brass to keep me in the fight for a looooong time!

KYCaster
10-12-2013, 11:28 PM
I was there most of Friday.....I'll have to start wearing a Cast Boolit hat or something.

The night shoot is always awesome and everyone should see it at least once, but it eventually just turns into lots of noise.

The best part is the people watching.

Jerry

Artful
10-12-2013, 11:44 PM
They will, heck we even welcome them to the Big Sandy machine gun shoot in Arizona - much closer than knob creek to ya.

http://mgshooters.com/Events.php

Sprue
10-13-2013, 07:57 AM
....yeah, been there a few times but its been a few years. Notice anything peculiar about my Avatar....

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/spilihp_2007/DSC02837_zps14f193b7.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/spilihp_2007/DSC02841_zps51ae0fb8.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/spilihp_2007/DSC02836_zpsd208c64d.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/spilihp_2007/DSC02832_zps2f102e9f.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/spilihp_2007/DSC02855_zpsd5090268.jpg

The "egg" has long since gone... talk about a fast little bugger

For more insight search Youtube "knob creek shoot"or "knob creek machine gun shoot".

Yep, everyone needs to see this event at least once. However don't go there looking for cheap prices, buts its a given, to find anything that you may desire.

koehn,jim
10-13-2013, 01:52 PM
When do they have it.

historicfirearms
10-13-2013, 05:05 PM
I have thought about going a few times, it looks like lots of fun. For those that have been there, what is the attitude of the people like? I picture it being like a NASCAR infield party, which isn't my cup of tea. Are the people still good folks there?

KYCaster
10-13-2013, 08:02 PM
When do they have it.

Second weekend in April and second weekend in October. See the KCR web site for event schedule.

I have thought about going a few times, it looks like lots of fun. For those that have been there, what is the attitude of the people like? I picture it being like a NASCAR infield party, which isn't my cup of tea. Are the people still good folks there?

Other than the number of people and the noise, it's nothing like the infields I've seen.

No alcohol, no nudity, no confrontations, no pushing, no bucking lines (an armed society is a polite society). A very family friendly place to be, but can be frightening for very young kids.

About like any other large gun show, but with LOTS OF NOISE.....and slightly higher prices. Plenty of primers at $35/K....good selection of powder at $25/lb....223 55gr fmj at $100/K, plenty of other bullets available and ammo of every description in large quantity. Everything from dog tags to military vehicles and everything in between to scratch your particular itch.

Everyone should see it at least once.

Jerry

MT Gianni
10-13-2013, 10:19 PM
It is one of the few places in America where a super model in a bikini would draw less interest than a table full of AR uppers.

daengmei
10-13-2013, 10:35 PM
There are so many women there...all SuperModels! I am hoping to take my daughter next time, just recently got her to go shooting for the first time and now she wants a handgun, pink Mosquito. Finally she is growing up!

NoZombies
10-13-2013, 10:43 PM
There are so many women there...all SuperModels!

It's only a theory, but I think any woman holding a gun is automatically 70% more attractive than she is when not holding a gun.

Rick N Bama
10-14-2013, 01:00 PM
The 12 Pounder Parrot Rifle was indeed a blast! Got to see it for the first firing from the fence behind it and yes the shock wave will flatten your shirt to your chest. Missed the second firing due to wandering around in the gunshow area. Watched the third firing from the bleachers and still felt the concussion from 30 yds away. I think Jack, one of the kids with us, got it on his IPhone. If I can get a copy of the video, does anyone know how to post it in this thread?
Got-R-Did.

Did you see the first firing? My daughter thinks that someone's ashes were fired from it.

Rick