PDA

View Full Version : .45 ACP magazine problems!

km101
10-11-2013, 07:53 PM
I recently bought 3 new 1911 .45ACP mags in stainless steel. When I tried them in my full size .45 they will not lock into the gun. They go in all the way and there is a "springy" feeling as they bottom out in the magazine well, but they will not lock in place with the slide closed.

With the slide locked back, they will all lock in place, but when I drop the slide they will fall out of the gun without touching the mag release! The appear to be about the same dimensions as my other mags but I have no exact dimensions to check against. Does anyone know what the dimensions of a 1911 mag should be.

I have 5 other mags (Wilson, Colt, GI) that work fine in the gun and do not have this problem.
Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. I have never seen this problem before and I am stumped!

ReloaderFred
10-11-2013, 08:41 PM
What brand are the new magazines, Ken? It sounds like the slot for the magazine latch was cut in the wrong place. I've seen some like that, and you either send them back, or get out a file and enlarge the slot. After doing one of them, I sent the rest back and got my money back.

Hope this helps.

Fred

KCSO
10-11-2013, 09:30 PM
You have three faulty mags. Send them back where they came from and never buy that brand again.

Shiloh
10-11-2013, 11:06 PM
Can't go wrong with anything that says Wilson Combat, Chip McCormick, or Colt. There are others.

SHiloh

km101
10-11-2013, 11:28 PM
Fred, I think they are Mec-gar mags. I don't know for sure, no packaging.
KCSO: They were a gun show purchase, so return is not an option. I will have to get out the files and see if I can make them work. (I knew $10 for a SS mag was too good to be true.)

The thing that really stumps me is that with the slide open, they lock in place, but when I drop the slide the mag comes out. I have never encountered this with any gun/mag combination. I wonder if these are not 1911 mags?

waksupi
10-12-2013, 01:16 AM
Can't go wrong with anything that says Wilson Combat, Chip McCormick, or Colt. There are others.

SHiloh

Can't agree with that. I got some of the McCormick 8 round mags. They started to malfunction in a short period of time. I contacted the company several times. Finally ended up with a message from Chip. Told me they were only designed for certain bullet configurations, and I couldn't leave them loaded. WHAT? Hell, these are for my daily carry gun. Replaced the followers and springs from Brownells stock, and swore Ol' Chip would never see another nickle of my money for worthless competition goods, that don't work in the real world. I got sucked into an 8 round magazine buy on this board, and I bestow a curse upon the nimrod who gave them high praise to suck us in. I ended up ordering four at that time. Turned out he must have been a recreational shooter, and not someone interested in defending theirself. As you can tell I still have a real bad taste in my mouth over this. I almost want to track down the thread, and ban the guy now! :mad:

MtGun44
10-12-2013, 02:49 AM
McCormack mags are sometimes substandard, IMO.

You got taken if you can't return the mags, they are made wrong.

Bill

NSP64
10-12-2013, 06:18 AM
Is this happening when they are loaded, empty or both?

btroj
10-12-2013, 07:39 AM
Anyone else think this is why they were unpackaged on a table at a gunshow?

If you can't make them work I would trash them.

My mags are all either Checkmate or the Colt mags that came with the gun. All work flawlessly. Mine were 17 bucks each, stainless, 7 round. Can't complain about that and I didn't spend 40 bucks to buy a name.

Dan Cash
10-12-2013, 08:23 AM
I learned the hard way that Chip Mccormak mags are less than 100% reliable and MecGar are too light for boat anchors. Sealed mil spec with NSN on the the package or Wilson are the only mag I will rely upon.

ReloaderFred
10-12-2013, 10:20 AM
Ken,

They are more likely USA magazines. I've never had a bad Mec-gar magazine in any of my guns, and I've got a bunch of them (both guns and magazines). I own two Chip McCormick magazines for the 1911, and won't own another. I've never seen 1911 magazines with such weak springs!

Mec-Gar magazines are marked on them in most cases, but USA magazines aren't. At least the ones I got suckered into buying weren't marked.

I've had excellent luck with Checkmate magazines in both .45 acp and 10mm in my 1911's. They're good quality and stand up well. And you can leave them loaded, waksupi.......

Hope this helps.

Fred

km101
10-12-2013, 11:56 AM
Is this happening when they are loaded, empty or both?

It happens both ways! If they are loaded, they will kick out on the first shot. If empty, they will kick out when the slide closes.

Thanks for the info guys!

km101
10-12-2013, 12:08 PM
Obviously everyone but me has heard about Checkmate mags! I went to their website and they are out-of-stock on everything I checked! I will have to wait until they catch up I guess.

HNSB
10-12-2013, 12:10 PM
I had a Kimber 8 round mag that would do that in my Springfield 1911. I think some mags just don't work with some guns.

ReloaderFred
10-12-2013, 12:50 PM
Here you go, Ken: http://www.topgunsupply.com/check-mate-1911-magazines/

They're in stock here.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Mack Heath
10-12-2013, 12:52 PM
Colt's magazies are either Checkmate or Metalform (I believe). Checkmate for sure. There will be either a "C" or an "M" on the toe of the floorplate right at the front. Also, you can tell a Checkmate 1911 mag for certain if the follower has a patent number on it. The patent only belongs to one person and that is the owner of CheckMate.

btroj
10-12-2013, 01:31 PM
Here you go, Ken: http://www.topgunsupply.com/check-mate-1911-magazines/

They're in stock here.

Hope this helps.

Fred

That is where I got mine. The feed lip and follower design make a difference. I got the ones with hybrid feed lips.

garym1a2
10-12-2013, 05:04 PM
Wilson Mags!

prs
10-12-2013, 05:37 PM
I appreciated the site posted above. They offer three versions of feed lips. Is there a site where clear distinct pics of these are illustrated so an idjit like me can finally learn which is which. I have three different types for my 1911s, they all seem to function wtih SWC, TC, or RN boolits. They all have very rare feed errors with any of those boolit designs; almost always on the last one or two rounds. Thay has not happened for quite a spell, now. Would still like to know the rest of the story.

prs

Clay M
10-12-2013, 05:55 PM
I have had problems with Mec-Gar mag in my Kimber Ultra Carry. I wont buy anymore of that brand.

btroj
10-12-2013, 05:58 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?134428-FTF-with-SW1911SC&highlight=1911+magazines

Try this. Look at post 15, it gives an idea of the difference. I got the hybrid lips, they work well with both RN and SWC bullets. The extra power springs help too.

Take a hard look at post 21 too.

Those two guys know 1911 mags.

Checkmate mags are far less money than many others but are very worth the money. What isn't to like, saving money and getting a superior product.

2AMMD
10-12-2013, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the information. Always thought/heard Chip Mc Cormick products were consistently reliable.
Will research more before buying anymore mags.
2AMMD

btroj
10-12-2013, 06:19 PM
Names and marketing hype are often just that, advertising and marketing hype.

Buy what works, not what has a flashy name or packaging.

375RUGER
10-12-2013, 06:19 PM
That is where I got mine. The feed lip and follower design make a difference. I got the ones with hybrid feed lips.

What's different about the hybrid? I opened the pics and best I can tell the lip tapers. Is that it?

btroj
10-12-2013, 06:45 PM
Yep. That alters when the magazine releases the round.

Read the discussions in the two posts I pointed out, they explain very clearly why the release point matters.

Try this, remove the recoil spring from a 1911. Using dummy round cycle the action slowly by hand. Watch how and when the round release from the magazine and how it enters the chamber. It should have the rim slide under the extractor as it releases from the magazine. Yep, a controlled feed action.

I am hardly an expert on 1911s but learned a huge amount from the guys who made those posts.

km101
10-12-2013, 06:50 PM
prs: If your feed problems are on the last one or two rounds, it is probably due to a weak spring. If you leave your mags loaded, (as most of us do) you need to change the springs every couple of years. I use Wolff Springs and have not had any fail to feed or stovepipe problems since changing them.

375RUGER
10-12-2013, 07:41 PM
I guess I could have read page 2 before posting:groner:
I'm getting some of those hybrids since I can't get these anymore. Thanks for pointing us to those.

ColColt
10-12-2013, 08:23 PM
I've had great luck with Checkmate or Tripp mags...mostly their 7 round mags in GI and Hybrid versions. Nary a bobble in either and fit about as good as it gets in three different autos.

There's a guy on the AmericanClassic1911 forum that goes by 1911 Tuner who is a guru when it comes to the 1911 and all aspects including magazines.

wv109323
10-12-2013, 09:20 PM
km101, Once the magazines truly locks into place they should not come out. When the slide comes forward on a 1911 ( loaded or unloaded) there is a downward force on the magazine. With the magazine coming out, when the slide goes forward, that tells me the magazine lock is not fully engaged into the slot, the magazine is too narrow to allow the lock to engage or the slot in the magazine is too small or in the wrong place. Another problem could be the spring in the mag release assembly. Does the mag release button fully return when the mag seems to lock in place. This could be observed on the opposite side of pistol from the mag release button.
My bet is the slot in the mag is too small and the mag is not locking into place. I have seen this before.

prs
10-13-2013, 09:28 AM
Thanks BTROJ & KIM101!

prs

btroj
10-13-2013, 09:34 AM
You are welcome. I am just passing on info that was of help to me. I just got a 1911 3 years ago and I had many of the same questions.

prs
10-13-2013, 08:11 PM
So, what I have learned is; of the three types I have ALL appear to be variations of the hybrid style. The 4 I have as OE with my 2 Ruger SR1911s are Check-Mate. I have 4 Wilson Combat mags. Then 7 Mec-Gar that have the hybrid sidewalls, but a different style of feed lips that are short, in effect, and right angle downward. Check-Mate GI seem to be nonobtanium right now, but my next purchase if they are made available.

prs

ColColt
10-13-2013, 08:20 PM
You might want to let these guys know you're interested when they get them in. They do have them usually.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/check-mate-.45acp-7rd-blue-gi-full-size-1911-magazine.html

Shiloh
10-13-2013, 08:29 PM
Can't agree with that. I got some of the McCormick 8 round mags. They started to malfunction in a short period of time. I contacted the company several times. Finally ended up with a message from Chip. Told me they were only designed for certain bullet configurations, and I couldn't leave them loaded. WHAT? Hell, these are for my daily carry gun. Replaced the followers and springs from Brownells stock, and swore Ol' Chip would never see another nickle of my money for worthless competition goods, that don't work in the real world. I got sucked into an 8 round magazine buy on this board, and I bestow a curse upon the nimrod who gave them high praise to suck us in. I ended up ordering four at that time. Turned out he must have been a recreational shooter, and not someone interested in defending theirself. As you can tell I still have a real bad taste in my mouth over this. I almost want to track down the thread, and ban the guy now! :mad:

McCormack mags are sometimes substandard, IMO.

You got taken if you can't return the mags, they are made wrong.

Bill

Never had an issue gentlemen. Have two loaded for better than a year before I fired them. Worked fine. These would be the Shooting Star magazines. Sorry about your bad experience. What are you using now??

Shiloh

35remington
10-13-2013, 09:20 PM
Neither the regular Wilsons nor your Mec Gars are hybrid type. The ones that came with the Ruger are. Currently only Checkmate is making them.

Wilson is now offering them with extra power springs but these are Checkmate made and not the same as their 47's or their ETM. These use the Browning idea of tapered feed lips with a defined release point while the other magazines do not have tapered lips. They are straight lipped.

The 1911 was designed to use a tapered lip magazine.

ColColt
10-13-2013, 09:22 PM
The 1911 was designed to use a tapered lip magazine.

And, unless you're shooting 200 gr semi wadcutters they're still the best. JB knew what he was doing.

Some good info here.

http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com/forumsii/showthread.php?275-Magazine-Design

http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com/forumsii/showthread.php?287-Hybrid-vs-Wadcutter

35remington
10-13-2013, 09:30 PM
Tapered lip magazines are fine with 200 SWC's of the HG 68 type. They are not as good with very short nose SWC's that result in short overall length rounds.

Think about 1.200" and over as being more optimal.

btroj
10-13-2013, 09:34 PM
Excellent reading there ColColt. If you own a 1911 you should read that.

35remington
10-13-2013, 10:00 PM
That picture of mine with the two magazines side by side was a first run hybrid lipped Checkmate on the right and a McCormick Power Mag on the left as pictured in his post on hybrid versus wadcutter. My thumb in the photo. The other pictures are from the "how I did it" post by Kabuki regarding magazine function. I did not take those.

Those Checkmates cost us only about 8 bucks apiece as we were the beta testers, but we ordered 3 thousand of them to get a big group discount. Now the weld mark is brushed out with a wire wheel and the magazine is immaculately finished in blued or stainless. Ask for extra power springs when buying them. All now come with a "D" shaped dimple which is considered a little more retentive than the round dimple.

ColColt
10-13-2013, 10:05 PM
Excellent reading there ColColt. If you own a 1911 you should read that.

Oh, I've read in many times and adhered to his knowledge. I've had good luck with the CM GI mags in everything from FMJ to Federal's 230 gr HP. I'll have to try the 200 gr SWC's in those as 35 Remington mentioned. I've usually used the Hybrids for those with nary a problem. With the lone exception of a few ETM 8 rnd mags I have I've been using 7 rnd mags. Original style and count mags, n'est pas?:)

btroj
10-13-2013, 10:07 PM
Those photos, and the thumb, made me decide on the hybrid mags from Checkmate. With an HG68 style bullet they just keep feeding and feeding. They just don't jam.

I added extra power Wolff mag springs.

I even let 35Rem talk me into a firing pin stop with a more square lower corner and it makes a big difference in the feel of the recoil.

35remington
10-13-2013, 10:18 PM
Btroj is just "getting back to John Browning" in going with those magazines and the small radius firing pin stop. This was what the pistol originally had and running the pistol the way JMB intended is the best way to get it to work reliably.

ColColt
10-13-2013, 10:22 PM
Amen, and slap those mags in the bottom of a Ruger SR1911 and you can shoot all day without a hiccup.

prs
10-14-2013, 03:34 PM
So the Ruger SR1911 has the desired magazines as OE, how about the firing pin stop? Is the small radius type in use on the SR1911? H377, I would not know the difference if it jumped out and bit me.

prs

ColColt
10-14-2013, 04:34 PM
Filing a small radius on the FPS is something you have to do yourself. I know of no one that sells them as is since it's an individual fit. No big deal, though. Ruger does not install them on their 1911.

http://pistolsmith.com/pistolsmiths/22920-egw-small-radius-fps-benefits.html

carolina556
10-14-2013, 05:26 PM
From my experience MagGar and other factory free with purchase mags are junk most of the time. The stainless of the MagGar is slightly better than the blued but not by much...For the price an extra $10 or so will get you a Wilson Combat. I sware by them and after locking up guns before with the MagGar and factory mags, I don't even mess with those mags anymore, I just leave them in the box.

I don't use anything I can't trust with my life, and to me a finicky mag just isn't worth it no matter if its free or not.

prs
10-15-2013, 01:48 PM
ColColt;

I hope I am not as dumb as my understanding of this "small radius firing pin stop" makes me look. I think I am getting closer. There seems to be a lot of use fairly new to the 1911. I am going to start a new thread to see if I can get a better education. Will title it "Small radius firing pin stop form and function".

detox
10-15-2013, 09:54 PM
I wish i had a Colt 1911 chambered in 9mm......shoots way less lead....sorry.

gwpercle
10-16-2013, 05:29 PM
All of my Mec-Gar are marked and all work exceptional in a AMT Hardballer. Of course the Hardballer is a full size 1911. I have eight or nine gun show specials and cheapo mail order ones that don't. Some worked at first then started getting balky, I had trouble figuring out which ones were good. I got tired of the magazine problems and got a 45 acp revolver....solved that problem and don't have to chase down fired brass.
Thats a win win situation for me.
Gary

gspgundog
10-16-2013, 05:35 PM
Amen to that

SHiloh

geargnasher
10-16-2013, 07:01 PM
I have a pile of SS Mec-Gar 7 rounders, they worked flawlessly in two guns (Kimber and SA) for a few years but eventually the metal fatigued and the feed lips spread, leading to stovepiping. The metal won't hold shape when reformed for more than a round or two. I bought some WC 8-rounders on sale new and have had zero problems through many thousands of rounds, and they all stay loaded all the time. $30 even on sale ain't cheap, but I'll pay a man (company) what he asks if his product does what I need it to do when others don't.

Gear

imsoooted
10-16-2013, 07:37 PM
I bought 2 kimber tac-pro ss 8 rounders for my kimber eclipse and had nothing but ftf and stovepipes. I sent them back to kimber and received 2 new mags that behaved exactly the same. Wilson 47d mags were purchased after that and never had a problem. go figure. I thought buying kimber mags for a kimber pistol would be a slam dunk. I only shoot 200g swc and the kimber mags were advertised as being compatable with that bullet design. ymmv

frankenfab
10-16-2013, 07:39 PM
They have 3 pacs of the WC's 8 round at Brownell's. Dealer price is $84

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/handgun-magazines/magazines/1911-8-round-ss-magazine-3-pack-sku965000149-42979-91061.aspx?sku=965000149

MtGun44
10-17-2013, 08:07 PM
Metalform mags are quite good also, if you want parallel lips and late release "conventional" mag design
which will work in the great majority of 1911s. I have a couple that prefer hybrids or the original
design lips including my carry Commander. I have some ancient milsurp noname pure GI mags and
a beautiful super early nickeled commercial mag with pinned, milled floorplate that feed my carry
Commander. It loves them but find a replacement pinned floorplate nickel factory Colt mag. . . . . .

Bill