PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Melting Pot upgrade possible?

KohlerK91
10-11-2013, 06:39 PM
I have a Melting pot with a 4.5KV 240 single phase heating element. It has an Allen Bradly Contactor in now that runs from a Partlow temp controller.

I would like to put a Solid state relay and a Digital control on it. Any reason this would not work?
I have another pot set up with solid state relay and the Temp controller. Can I set this larger one up the same way. As long as the relay will handle the 20amp load?

No_1
10-11-2013, 06:44 PM
No reason at all. I would suggest a heat sink attached to your relay just for a little additional insurance.

KohlerK91
10-11-2013, 06:48 PM
It just makes me wonder why there was a huge contact relay on this when a little Solid state relay will do the same thing.

No_1
10-11-2013, 06:53 PM
Any number of reasons but most likely the builder got a great deal on a huge stash of contactors. I have converted both my Lee pot and magma pot to solid state PID controlled units with the exact same parts. Both work just fine.

Dale in Louisiana
10-11-2013, 10:15 PM
Electromechanical contactors were (and still are) the standard for switching electrical current on and off. The work quite well, are easy to troubleshoot, and will offer years of service with minimal care. I have HUNDREDS in service right now working on everything from controlling yard lighting to motors up into the several thousand horsepower range. You probably have several in your home, including the ones controlling central air conditioning and such.

They do make noise. They are physically larger. They will withstand momentary and short-term overloads and voltage spikes that will turn a solid state relay into trash.

dale in Louisiana