PDA

View Full Version : Question On XDs Handguns

44MAG#1
10-11-2013, 04:38 PM
How much of a hit do you guys think the owners of the XDs have taken on trade in value or resale value of these guns?
Will gun shops be leery of all XDs handguns or just the ones in the serial number range of the guns on recall?

dragon813gt
10-11-2013, 04:47 PM
Only time will tell what the value turns out to be. If its a well thought out fix and not a hack job I see no reason why it wouldn't retain a higher value. A pistol like that is not going to retain the value of a fine hunting rifle so resale would be one of the last things on my mind.

44MAG#1
10-11-2013, 04:54 PM
dragon813gt
"A pistol like that is not going to retain the value of a fine hunting rifle so resale would be one of the last things on my mind.
Do you own an XDs?
When I trade or resale I want all I can get regardless of the gun. I don't want to lose anymore than I have too.
I fully realize it isn't a Weatherby, Rigby, Holland and Holland, rifle.

cwheel
10-11-2013, 04:55 PM
First off, Springfield says that all of the XDs's are part of the recall, so all are effected, all will need the mod. Guess it's going to take a couple of years to get to the Blue Book of Gun Values, but my wild *** guess is half of the value could get lost here due to bad press and a lack of consumer confidence. Bad press can go a long way. And I guess that comes down what sort of damage control Springfield does with the press. If they discontinue production once the old stock is sold, could get even worse on resale value. It's a **** shoot, but my guess is half of the value lost, $300. Only time will tell. Springfield just updated their FAQ site. Problem found, new parts ordered, parts will come to them early next week. Start shipping the first pistols back to owners the week of Oct. 21st. I'm with you 44MAG#1 on the loss, some sort of a loss is a sure thing. Don't think a free 2 pack of mags is going to off set this loss much. And don't look for that to happen either, don't think the bean counters would ever go for it. Don't think there is much we can do here, we will end up holding the bag to some extent, no matter what.
Chris

44MAG#1
10-11-2013, 05:05 PM
They said they were going to send an extended mag with each gun.
If they send one with mine they will get it back.

cwheel
10-11-2013, 06:54 PM
I'll sure appreciate the 7 round mag, but this isn't going to offset the lost value much. Extra mag would end up handy for range use. I bet by the time this hits the Blue Book of Gun Values in a couple of years, that's when we will see the other shoe drop. If the fix doesn't render any different handling qualities, I'll still use mine for the intended CCW. If not, will have to dump it like the Kel-Tec PF9 before it. ( PF9 would not hold up in normal practice sessions, it went back to the factory 3 times, couldn't count in it when needed ) Out of curiosity, 44MAG#1, If you don't mind me asking, why would you send the free 7 round mag back ?? I personally don't think we can expect much more out of Springfield than this gesture. We both know that this isn't going to come close to covering the loss.
Chris

44MAG#1
10-11-2013, 07:34 PM
I will tell you why. I feel I have taken a hit that is much greater than a mag will replace. I could have bought one at the gun shop where I bought my XDs for about 4 dollars less than retail. That means the gun shop was making a profit so was the distributor they got it from and Springfield was sure making a profit too. I bet Springfield doesn't have 16 /17 dollars if that much in a mag. More likely 11 or 12.
To me it is like adding insult to injury
I can hear the stockholders and Reese saying we will send a free mag with that gun and the owners will be appeased since they can be soothed and manipulated by tossing them anything that will make them think we care.
Insult to injury plain and simple. They know the gullible can be either bought off or soothed by a whine or a piddling gesture.
I had a custom gunsmith do the same thing to me by jerking me around and then he whined around about it.
Ruger gave me trouble too on a 45 Colt and then one of the repair guys tried to make me look like a fool.
At one time you couldn't find a more understanding and lenient person than me and I still am if one will just start out right with me.
If you are one that like insult to injury go for the new mag. I could see maybe a 100 gift certificate which they won't have 100 dollars in the products one would order from them.
But one mag. A cheap insult to a more expensive injury.

cwheel
10-11-2013, 07:55 PM
Your point is well taken.
Chris

LUCKYDAWG13
10-13-2013, 05:38 PM
i didn't buy my XDs to resell i bought it for a carry gun. i just want it fixed
and back home. its a joy to shoot and vary accurate i just hope i get the
same good little shooter back if not i wash my hands with springfield
if things were fixed right a XDm in my future

idahoron
10-13-2013, 09:42 PM
I am another one that didn't buy one for a investment. I haven't sent mine back yet. I am going to wait for a while to make sure they have everything right. I don't care if they sell for 200 dollars, except I might get another one. Fact is they shoot great for a small gun, and they are easy to carry. In fact I carried mine all weekend and don't plan to stop. Ron

cwheel
10-13-2013, 10:48 PM
Mine was specifically bought for use as a CCW. Before I had the Springfield, I had a Kel-Tec PF9 as one of my CCW firearms, it didn't hold up in use, got the XDs to replace it. Mine worked well, shot surprisingly well for a short barrel 45. I'll keep mine if it performs as well after the recall. Only time resale will come in to play would be if the modification somehow makes a negative change to the operating features we had before the recall. If I had to dump it after the recall because of the changes, then the used value would come into play. I'd like to think positive, hope we get a improved pistol retuned to us. If not, I'll deal with it then. Best case for me is gun comes back repaired and as good or better than when sent back. I will appreciate the free 7 round mag as well. Never did find anything published that said they are sending a free 7 round mag back with the gun. We will see what comes in the package.
Chris

44MAG#1
10-13-2013, 11:40 PM
I know everyone on here thinks I'm crazy but I did read this. "We are confident that you will be extremely pleased with your upgraded XD-S™ pistol and we wish to express our deep gratitude to all our valued customers who have demonstrated such patience, support and loyalty to Springfield ArmoryŽ. As a small token of our thanks, we will be enclosing an XD-S™ extended magazine with X-tension sleeve with each pistol we return"
or did I not read it.
I have changed my mind. I am going to keep the mag but I am going to pay them for it. I am going to send an MO straight to Dennis Reese and his brother Thomas.
I got mine to carry too but I have a Micro Compact in 45 Auto to carry to so I am not married to my XDs. So I don't have to worry about a messy divorce from it with the thought of gunimony
Anything I have is subject to go "down the road" if I find something I may like more.

cwheel
10-14-2013, 10:25 PM
All of mine are subject to down the road if something is better as well. Thinking the best thing here is to give Springfield a fair chance to do it right. When I get mine back, will look at it hard, see if there are any functional differences. If not, I'll sure keep it and use it, if not, down the road for that one just like the Kel-Tec PF9 before it. What Micro 45 do you have and what do you think of it. My XDS is my micro 45. Always looking for options if this one doesn't make the cut. I bought 2 holsters for CCW use already so I would definitely choose for it to work out well as the first option.
Chris

idahoron
10-14-2013, 10:45 PM
I was in the same boat. I wanted a micro 45 and this was the only one that I read about that would shoot cast boolits. Mine shoots them great. Ron

hpdrifter
10-14-2013, 10:52 PM
I don't plan on selling mine. Before I sell it, it'll probably have all the melonite rubbed off and be well worn, so I ain't worried about.

HiVelocity
10-14-2013, 11:43 PM
Let the value drop, I'll buy several more.

If you look back, historically, you'll find that there have been recalls by several other handgun manufacturers. Funny how no one seems to remember who recalled what, or when. Ruger, in fact, recalled the LCP within 6 months of releasing the little .380 for sale to the public. I don't see any Ruger LCP's losing their value. I like my XDs, it carries well, shoots better than I can, and I find the quality is there. Just food for thought.

HV

44MAG#1
10-15-2013, 07:40 AM
I have the 1911 Micro Compact 45 auto. As far as I know Springfield doesn't chamber them in 45 ACP now. Now called the EMP in 9 MM and 40 S&W.
I shoot cast.
Ruger also had a recall on the SR9.
No one said, as far as I know, that the XDs isnt a quality pistol.

Tazman1602
10-15-2013, 01:10 PM
This might sound funny but it's a good thing for me..........................as I just bought one......................today.................... from a big box store of whom I know the manager. A customer bought it a little while ago, heard about the recall, and dumped it back to them at a big loss.

I'm a dealer too.............and it was less than my cost. My buddy at the box store told me if I would send the gun back to Springfield for the recall I could have it for..........................$400 even out the door. Any guesses as to what I did? The guy had never even shot it, it's brand spanking new.

Get to pick it up tomorrow and it's going to Springfield ASAP.

Caliber? 45ACP -- is there any other besides .357 mag????

Art

PS -- recall does not involve ALL XDs's, only those with listed serial numbers:

http://www.springfieldrecall.com/

cwheel
10-15-2013, 10:34 PM
Still can't find the passage from Springfield where they state they are sending the free mag with the gun, but don't doubt it. Sounds like sometime mid next week some of us should be seeing them back. Mine loved my cast reloads, and I doubt that part will change. Tazman, you got one great deal, mine was $600 taxed and out the door. About another $100 for a couple of holsters. So I've got some cash in mine, because of that, sure wish it works out.
Chris

Tazman1602
10-15-2013, 10:50 PM
Still can't find the passage from Springfield where they state they are sending the free mag with the gun, but don't doubt it. Sounds like sometime mid next week some of us should be seeing them back. Mine loved my cast reloads, and I doubt that part will change. Tazman, you got one great deal, mine was $600 taxed and out the door. About another $100 for a couple of holsters. So I've got some cash in mine, because of that, sure wish it works out.
Chris

Find it here under the update status page:

http://www.springfieldrecall.com/RecallUpdate.asp

Indeed they WILL send you a new mag.

Art

cwheel
10-16-2013, 08:24 PM
Got it, thanks Tazman 1602,
Chris

palmettosunshine
10-19-2013, 06:55 PM
"Our solution delivers the advantages of a smoother and more consistent trigger feel with just a slightly increased trigger pull."

Is anyone else wondering just how much this "slightly increased trigger pull" affects our guns???