PDA

View Full Version : Some Sam Yang info

melloairman
10-11-2013, 02:59 PM
I have a 909 that I have put a .312 barrel on and a Recuse . I had always used silicon grease on the loading port o ring and never had a problem . For some reason I started using silicon oil on them and the o rings quickly gave out on both rifles . I emailed a tuner and he said he used 012 hard o rings . I ordered some 012, 70 buna o rings , installed them and went back to the grease . But with both rifles I was still having failure between 350-400 shots . So I ordered some 90 buna and installed them on 1 rifle .Took 1 shot and split the rear o ring . I emailed a warranty air smith and he said he used 12mm o rings with a cross section of 1.5 and he would send me some . I remembered that I had never changed the o rings on the 45 barrel so I removed one and measured it . It was a 9.1mm with a cross section of 1.6 . I found some of them with a 75 buna so I ordered them . I received them and the 12 mm about the same time . I was tired of pulling barrels to change o rings so I went with the 9.1 on the 909 with the .312 barrel since I had had good results with them in the past . I stuck with the one rifle to make sure it was doing well . I have been righting down my number of shots and today made 1800 shots on the 9.1 mm with a cross section of 1.6 o rings . I used the silicon grease as well . I think the rifle is back to normal now and I can change the o rings on the Recluse now and not have to experiment with the 12 mm o rings . Marvin
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn55/melloroadman/001_zps57ad5c96.jpg (http://s301.photobucket.com/user/melloroadman/media/001_zps57ad5c96.jpg.html)

MT Chambers
10-11-2013, 09:04 PM
Marvin: Aren't those Korean guns known for leaks? I'd like one myself but there is so much talk about leaks on the "Net".

melloairman
10-11-2013, 10:03 PM
The issues with them are not really leaks . They are sealed in a why that only the Koreans know but normally they hold air well . It is there 10-12 pound trigger pull, bolt handle breakage , and low energy level that hold them back . The single tubes are more powerful for sure because they have a larger valve . You almost have to have them tuned to be happy with one . Will Piatt tuned my Recluse and installed the un breakable bolt handle for me . The bolt handle was the first one he did and it turned out well . He also got the trigger down to 1 pound for me . It is a good rifle now but I bought it used so I do not have a ton of money in it . The 909 I have more money in it after the tune and barrel swap that a sane man should ever have in a Korean . But it is a good shooter now for a twin tube . I have a 201 that has a 28 inch .250 barrel on it now that is a nice rifle as well . I have 4 Corsairs that right out of the box for less than a Korean can produce more energy and have triggers that I can adjust to less than a pound pull . And I can detune them and drop the psi and air usage down to a good usable target rifle as well .But they have not been made in over a year now . Marvin

melloairman
10-23-2013, 02:10 PM
With the 909 and the 9. X 1.6 o rings I ended up with 2340 shots on one set of o rings that are still sealing the port . So I put a set on the Recluse and they never did seal right today . Came home pulled the barrel and measured the groove for the o ring at .528 OD for the ID of the ring . And .086 wide . The 45 cal 909 barrel is .536 and .084 . Put a set of the 12 x 1.5 MM o rings on the Recluse barrel and will try again . Marvin

melloairman
10-30-2013, 01:44 PM
I did not have much hope for the 12 X 1.5 mm o rings. with a groove wider than 2 mm but it was worth a try . At shot 480 the front o ring let go . I will have to try something else with this rifle I guess . Marvin

Pepe Ray
10-30-2013, 07:27 PM
melloairman;
can you describe the reasons why your having so much trouble finding parts and/or "O" rings.
I'm definately 'On the hunt' for a big bore hunting air rifle. I'm not going to drop anchor 'till I know how deep is the water.

Little Doc
10-30-2013, 08:09 PM
Pepe
Dennis Quackenbush opened his list for the next 50 rifles. check out his web site. he makes big bore and if you are concerned he is easy to contact and I am sure will fix or repair or get parts to you. I hear many try for years to get on his list and he has more request than he can fill. His guns shoot cast bullets that are the same size as what we use in ctg guns. Lotsa info on his web site give it a looksee it may answer your questions.
m

melloairman
10-30-2013, 09:38 PM
melloairman;
can you describe the reasons why your having so much trouble finding parts and/or "O" rings.
I'm definately 'On the hunt' for a big bore hunting air rifle. I'm not going to drop anchor 'till I know how deep is the water.
If you followed this thread you can see that I have 2 factory barrels with 2 different groove sizes . And a after market barrel with the same size groove as the 45 caliber barrel . Which seems to be doing ok now with the same o ring as the 45 barrel . Which leads me to believe that the factory is not holding their tolerances well . Or making changes that are not being relayed to the importer . Or the importer is not keeping up with the info . I ordered some 011 and 10.1x1.6 mm o rings today . Will see how it goes . And yes DAQ has opened his list up again but it is hard to get on . But once you are on you know that you will get a rifle in a reasonable period of time . But it might take years to get on the list .In this price range there is not much out there any more . These do have a 10-12 pound trigger pull and a weak bolt handle that needs help if you shoot a lot as I do . So a tune will more than likely be need . I have been shooting 180 shoots , 3 days a week . Marvin

melloairman
11-02-2013, 12:03 PM
Installed the 011 today . Will try again this week .Marvin

melloairman
11-08-2013, 02:15 PM
Made it a full week with a total of 540 . See what happens next week .Marvin

rattletrap1970
11-08-2013, 02:25 PM
Try here: http://www.mcmaster.com/#o-rings/=pajakc

I'd get Viton myself.

melloairman
11-08-2013, 10:30 PM
Try here: http://www.mcmaster.com/#o-rings/=pajakc

I'd get Viton myself.

That is were I have purchase these Viton o rings as well as the ones for the .312 barrel . But thanks for the info .Marvin

rattletrap1970
11-09-2013, 07:23 AM
Also, if you go to Apple Rubber they make o-rings and have a lot of odd sizes in all materials.

melloairman
11-15-2013, 02:36 PM
Made it though another week of enjoyable shooting . For a total of 1080 shots . See what happens next week .Marvin

melloairman
11-22-2013, 02:51 PM
Had some rain this week but I did get the total up to 1440 .Marvin

melloairman
11-29-2013, 02:47 PM
I am at 1980 now . Will use the rifle next week again .Then I will let it rest .Marvin

melloairman
12-06-2013, 04:54 PM
Was able to get the number up to 2520 today . And the o rings are still doing their job . I believe I can say that the rifle is dependable now . Will give it a rest and shoot something else for a while .Marvin

melloairman
11-21-2014, 01:01 AM
I ended up with 2880 shots on the 9.1 rings with the 909 . Pulled the barrel today and changed them . Ended up with air tube leaks . And I pulled it back a part measured the rings . Installed new rings of measured size . Still leaked . Pulled it apart 3 more times and replaced the rings each time and it still leaked . Found a my box of 909 parts and found some used rings . Measured them and the ones that were really giving problems measured 12x2.5 not 15x2.5 as the ones I removed did . I had some 12x2.5 rings and installed them with all new rings and it is now sealed again . I believe I now know why there is so may size loading port rings being used . Even some of the factory techs are doing what I did . Remove measure and install . Some times it works for a while some times not . In the past when working on cars I have done this with out a problem . But these rings are taking a set and not returning to size when they have been in use for a extended time . I ended up with the 9.1x1.6 port rings and 17x3, 12x2.5 and 16x2.5 on the air tubes . Marvin