PDA

View Full Version : First rifle. First NEW rifle........

mikeym1a
10-11-2013, 02:24 AM
Not quite done, but, it's shootable. My first brand new rifle. Dennis at SubSonic was the vendor for upper and lower AR receivers, as well as a barrel. Noah at Extreme Tactical (think I got that right) provided me with the other bits and pieces that I needed. And I got a funky fake suppressor off fleabay. Looks tacky, but, I actually like the weight it gives the piece. Feels more balanced. Still have to get a forestock, but, I can live without one. I plan to carve up an old walnut blank that been on the porch for 10 - 12 years, and have me a thumb-hole stock. Then I'll figure out how to make the forestock. So, I now have a functional firearm. About 100 loaded rounds. Now I need a warm, dry day so I can get to the range. Can only shoot J-words presently. Gotta make sizing dies. AND, I wanna try to paper patch these. It may prove to be an exercise in futility, but, I'm gonna try. With my new rifle, in the picture is my first rifle, bought with my own money, circa 1975. It looks like it did the day I got it. A 1909 Argentine Mauser. It has always shoot better than I could. It still does. A good, honest rifle. And still my favorite. Thanks, Dennis and Noah!!

mikeym1a
10-11-2013, 02:29 AM
That photo didn't look so dark when I had it up on the photo manipulator. So, here is one that has been lightened up. :grin:

Jack Stanley
10-11-2013, 12:46 PM
A day at the range is supposed to be warm ??? dry ???? Not so much this year , but hey , just happy to get out regardless of the weather .

Neat looking old rifle ya got there , the black rifle should be interesting when finished .

Jack

carolina556
10-13-2013, 01:05 AM
Nice mauser, and good luck with the at build...they are a lot of fun!

mikeym1a
10-13-2013, 11:51 AM
Yeah, I have the urge to shoot it. But, it's still raining. Unfortunately, the range I use is very 'primitive', as are the roads leading to it. I only have a two wheel drive truck, and will probably need to put chains on to get to the actual range. Seriously. The road is so rutted that you need chains, and weight in the back to get up the one section that is about a 30 degree slope. I like it because only the really dedicated go there to shoot. If I get there Mon - Wed, I have it to myself, and any range brass that's left from the weekend! I've accumulated almost 1000 .223 cases that way, 2/3 of them brass boxer cases.

carolina556
10-13-2013, 02:08 PM
Yeah, I have the urge to shoot it. But, it's still raining. Unfortunately, the range I use is very 'primitive', as are the roads leading to it. I only have a two wheel drive truck, and will probably need to put chains on to get to the actual range. Seriously. The road is so rutted that you need chains, and weight in the back to get up the one section that is about a 30 degree slope. I like it because only the really dedicated go there to shoot. If I get there Mon - Wed, I have it to myself, and any range brass that's left from the weekend! I've accumulated almost 1000 .223 cases that way, 2/3 of them brass boxer cases.

Sounds like you got it figured out :) I like to do the same but its a 45 minute drive to the range, and lately people are getting wise to farming the trash for the brass...

mikeym1a
10-15-2013, 02:05 PM
The rifle is ready. Got a 30 rd mag. Have 200rds loaded, two different powders. I have the urge. But I have this water line to fix. It finally finished raining, so i can see where the leak is! Now for the 'fun' part of digging it up, and replacing the broken parts. Shooting will have to wait til next week. Besides, with all the rain last weekend, there probably isn't too much brass laying around. Maybe next Monday......:grin: