PDA

View Full Version : In a casting slump

MaryB
10-11-2013, 02:02 AM
Been fighting with my back pain and trying to get the house ready for winter. Casting and reloading have really taken a back seat the last month. Haven't even made it to the range...

sthwestvictoria
10-11-2013, 07:07 AM
I was getting frustrated with trying to get one rifle to shoot and was reluctant to fire up the pot. The fix was a new rifle - a cheap Savage 340 in 30-30 and now I am all fired up again and back into things! Hobbies do wax and wane a bit like this.

blikseme300
10-11-2013, 07:27 AM
I echo our Australian friend in that I had the same experience. Went out and bought a used Marlin 308MX and am now pleased with the CB results from this rifle. Deer season soon here in Texas and can't wait to blood this rifle.

The spells of drought between activity does allow the hobbyist to savor the enjoyment once he/she returns to it.

MaryB I hope you feel better soon and get back to the range.

USAFrox
10-11-2013, 08:59 AM
MaryB,

Sorry to hear about the back pain. That's some of the worst there is - there's not much movement you do that doesn't involve your back in some way. Hope you get feeling better. I had that problem a while back - had a bulging disc after a car accident. Had to get those steroid shots in my back to ease the constant pain. After a series of those, and taking it very easy, I'm pretty much back to normal (whatever that is). Hope yours gets better, too!

runfiverun
10-11-2013, 10:38 AM
things get in the way, you just need something to spark the interest again, but something that works with the pain.
maybe researching lube ingredients and making small test batches of lube will kick things off without taxing the back muscles.

youngda9
10-11-2013, 12:43 PM
I always find that a new rifle re-sparks my interest. I really enjoy load development with cast boolits. There are so many variables to tinker with.

MaryB
10-11-2013, 11:46 PM
My back pain is a bit beyond the average... collapsed discs, fractured discs, mega bone spurs, narrowing of the spinal canal, arthritis... 1 surgery to try to help (didn't). Makes getting things done tough some days. Had a CT Myelogram Monday where they remove spinal fluid and inject dye. Been fighting a spinal headache since. Get results on the 22nd to see why my left leg is starting to get worse and why my right sometimes just quits working.

tweigenant
10-12-2013, 06:29 PM
My back pain is a bit beyond the average... collapsed discs, fractured discs, mega bone spurs, narrowing of the spinal canal, arthritis... 1 surgery to try to help (didn't). Makes getting things done tough some days. Had a CT Myelogram Monday where they remove spinal fluid and inject dye. Been fighting a spinal headache since. Get results on the 22nd to see why my left leg is starting to get worse and why my right sometimes just quits working.

Hey MaryB, Did you read my medical records or what? I am dealing with almost the exact same issues for the last 18 years except I have had 3 surgeries including a three level fusion. None of the fusions healed properly so I am dealing with the results permanently. My legs are somewhat the same except both of my legs go numb at the same time and can't move or feel them. Will last for a few seconds up to ten minutes and I am very worried that one of these times they won't come back. If you get an answer to your problem from the results of the Myleogram, please let us know. My doc's are at a loss of what to do except drugs, and I hate it. I had a Neuro-Stimulator implanted several years ago but it doesn't work too well now as my pain keeps getting worse and is located out of the effective range of the stimulator All of this keeps me from doing almost all the things I love to do. Can do a lot of reloading and casting but not much shooting.

Let us know what the test results show would you please? Best of luck to you from one that knows all too well what you are going thru.

Take care,

Tom

btroj
10-12-2013, 06:49 PM
things get in the way, you just need something to spark the interest again, but something that works with the pain.
maybe researching lube ingredients and making small test batches of lube will kick things off without taxing the back muscles.

Dang man, are you trying to get him divorced? Suggesting a guys start experimenting with lube?

Why not tell him to play with fire or play in traffic? Those would both be safer.......

leeggen
10-12-2013, 09:21 PM
Dang women have no sense of humor when it comes to ruin'n their kitchen and or utensils. Mary B might just as well go out side and make some good black powder, whew make homemade lube!
Mary B, I got back problems too so mizory likes company. VA is helping mine with ster. shots, degenerative disc and pinched nerves. Doc kept trying dif meds and finally hit one that really helped with the radiating pain. Hope things get better.
CD

Old Caster
10-12-2013, 10:22 PM
Neuropathic pain can be cause by a lot of things and sometimes the wrong thing is chased. Lately the biggest breakthrough in this area is that Lyme disease may make a person feel leg pain because the disease allows certain types of mytoxins like Borrelia to aggravate an individual. Have someone test you to make sure you don't have it and remember that the test for it can be a false negative.

runfiverun
10-12-2013, 11:05 PM
okay, okay the lube thing was just a suggestion. :lol:

finding a young person to mentor could very well help too.
you know someone with young eyes that could do the shooting part of the projects.
you can get a lot of enjoyment seeing your "work" pay off..

MaryB
10-13-2013, 03:02 AM
They tried to implant the neuro stim test leads and couldn't get the needle into my spinal canal to implant the leads, to many bone spurs. One doc thinks my spine is fusing itself together, arthritis doc doesn't... and like you all they do is toss meds at it. Oxycontin, percocet, lyrica...

Hey MaryB, Did you read my medical records or what? I am dealing with almost the exact same issues for the last 18 years except I have had 3 surgeries including a three level fusion. None of the fusions healed properly so I am dealing with the results permanently. My legs are somewhat the same except both of my legs go numb at the same time and can't move or feel them. Will last for a few seconds up to ten minutes and I am very worried that one of these times they won't come back. If you get an answer to your problem from the results of the Myleogram, please let us know. My doc's are at a loss of what to do except drugs, and I hate it. I had a Neuro-Stimulator implanted several years ago but it doesn't work too well now as my pain keeps getting worse and is located out of the effective range of the stimulator All of this keeps me from doing almost all the things I love to do. Can do a lot of reloading and casting but not much shooting.

Let us know what the test results show would you please? Best of luck to you from one that knows all too well what you are going thru.

Take care,

Tom

kbstenberg
10-13-2013, 07:09 AM
Mary B for a person with so much pain to focus your attention from what you are doing. Your woodworking is excellent!
I will include you in my prayers along with the others I care for. Kevin

trys357
10-13-2013, 07:59 AM
I have Cervical Myelopathy and am scheduled for CT Myelogram at West Roxbury VA on Oct15.
Since I have a Defibulator an MRI is not possible.
I don't know anyone that has had this procedure and not looking forward to it.

MaryB
10-14-2013, 01:40 AM
trys I have had it twice. First time was pure hell, took an hour to get the needle in past the bone spurs. They hit nerves about every 5 minutes. They finally had to strap me to the table because I kept moving to much from involuntary nerve stimulation when they hit one with a needle. Second one was done in minutes but they had a brand new fluoroscope that they could rotate and get more of a 3d view. Once the dye is in you get to wait 45 minutes to an hour for it to disperse(at least for the lumbar one). Then 5 minutes in the CT scanner and done. Bring a book for the wait.

trys357
10-14-2013, 06:49 AM
Thanks for the update ... at least I have an idea as what to expect during the procedure.

Old Caster
10-14-2013, 01:46 PM
Sometimes it is easy to get the needle in and sometimes it is not. Also severe headache will follow if the hole leaks when the needle is removed. While this doesn't sound good and it isn't, most of the time there are no problems and goes easily. To me prayer is the best because I don't believe in luck or lack of it.

MaryB
10-15-2013, 01:35 AM
Oh yeah I had a 4 day spinal headache after this last one. Plan on drinking lots of fluids, caffeine can help.

shoot-n-lead
10-15-2013, 08:56 PM
Life tends to dictate what I do and when...much like you have described.

freebullet
10-15-2013, 09:03 PM
Sorry about your pain. When I'm hurting i lay down the brass molds and use the lee 2cavs, they are light enough to get in some short sessions.

trys357
10-16-2013, 06:29 AM
My spinal myelogram was tolerable yesterday at the VA.
Took longer than usual due to lot of arthritis.
No headaches yet ... drinking a lot of black coffee.
Waiting on results now.