PDA

View Full Version : Soy wax

Starvnhuntr
10-11-2013, 01:24 AM
I found a bunch of soy wax for sale today.directions on the lable said to heat to 180 degrees for making candles. does anyone know if there is any use for soy wax in bullet lube. they were asking 10.00 for 25 lbs.

runfiverun
10-11-2013, 11:03 AM
soy wax has a silky smoothness bees wax doesn't.
it is a great mixer with beeswax also as the soy wax pores are a bit different size so hold and release lube just a bit differently.
i'd start with a mix of the soy and bees wax [about 3b to one-s] add an oil or grease to the mix and use it up.
I use a mix of 50-40-10 b-wax/soy/paraffin in my favorite lube and it works over a broad temperature span.

Char-Gar
10-11-2013, 11:53 AM
Do you realize that in Spanish "Soy wax" means "I am wax". :-)

montana_charlie
10-11-2013, 12:05 PM
"I am beans."
"I am sauce."
"I am meat."

eljefeoz
10-11-2013, 07:04 PM
I'm nuts, but I shall endeavour -to read more about CB lube ;) am now upto my 6th formulation...

Starvnhuntr
10-11-2013, 11:26 PM
"I am beans."
"I am sauce."
"I am meat."

I am honcho

fryboy
10-12-2013, 08:50 AM
sometimes you guys crack me up ( thanx fer that !! )

i actually use some soy wax, my biggest use for it is in a adaptation of dick dastardly's pearl lube i call pearl lube plus , it also works well for smokeless and i and a friend use it for up to mid range smokeless loads , like R5R states it is a bit different but has some interesting properties , also be aware that there are several different grades/blends of soy wax ( not as many as paraffin but... ) and it tends to be softer than either paraffin or beeswax , used in candles it's usually used in container type ones as it doesnt have the body/stiffness normally associated with many of the paraffin blends

country gent
10-12-2013, 10:29 AM
WOuld replacing the beeswax in emmerts improved make a good black powder lube ? what do you guys think?
50% beeswax 40% crisco 5% canola and 5% lanonin

Hip's Ax
10-12-2013, 10:49 AM
Pearl Lube and Leadpot's Lube are two that come to mind that contain soy wax.

runfiverun
10-12-2013, 11:29 PM
you could possibly replace some of the Crisco and b-wax with soy wax and make a blend that is smoother, it could also allow you to lower the canola oil content.

Hip's Ax
10-13-2013, 10:31 AM
Hey Run, would you have a gut feeling for how much beeswax and Crisco to replace with soy? Also, how much less oil?

I know experimentation is key but it will be a while before I can and just thinking about this stuff is very interesting to me.

I am shooting Emmert's Modified with 50% beeswax, 40% Crisco, 5% jojoba oil and 5% lanolin. I use this for paper target competition from 200 to 1000 yards in both a 45-70 and 45-90.

Thanks in advance! :D

runfiverun
10-13-2013, 11:52 AM
try replacing 10% of each to start, using 20% of the soy wax as the replacement.
add the lanolin as usual,see how that compares and wet it back with the oil.
you'll quickly get a feel for how the soy acts in the lube and how it does when fired with that amount.
it has a melt point quite close to bees-wax but it flows differently under pressure, you can judge this by just squeezing and rolling it between your fingers compared to the b-wax.
this is why the lower amount of oil is generally needed.

Hip's Ax
10-13-2013, 10:58 PM
Thanks! Interesting....

I feel my alloy and fit are good, when I get time I'll shoot some groups and see if this soy modification will make a good load a great one.