PDA

View Full Version : Coyote buster

armoredman
10-10-2013, 11:05 PM
I am hoping to use this load on coyotes as the weather cools. I have yet to chrono it, but what is the consensus of a spire point hard cast boolit on a coyote, good choice or bad one?

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/casting%20stuff/NOE129bestload_zps8306c453.jpg (http://s16.photobucket.com/user/armoredman/media/casting%20stuff/NOE129bestload_zps8306c453.jpg.html)

Piedmont
10-11-2013, 12:41 AM
The consensus is going to be that unless you exceed the deformation strength of the alloy at impact or are fortunate enough that it tumbles on the way through, it will suck. If it expands or tumbles it should work great.

How hard is it and what is the muzzle velocity?

MtGun44
10-11-2013, 12:44 AM
A flat point will do more damage, but ultimately, a hole through the
heart-lung area will mean a dead coyote. If you want to KEEP the dead
coyote in your possession, it may be less than satisfactory. If you just
want a dead coyote out there somewhere, no problem.

Shot placement is crucial.

Bill

Larry Gibson
10-11-2013, 12:46 AM
You can certainly kill a coyote with that but odds are you won't find it unless it was a brain or spine shot.

Larry Gibson

quilbilly
10-11-2013, 11:25 PM
Last I heard there are no degrees of dead so it will work just fine if that boolit is accurate enough in your rifle. In the few pointed boolits I have cast, they have tumbled almost immediately at the target in my terminal ballistics tests if they didn't expand. Tumbling leaves a vicious wound channel. Since you are in Arizona, even if the coyote runs a few yards you should easily find it unlike up here where if it goes 30 feet, it is gone.

Love Life
10-12-2013, 01:19 AM
I'm sure it will work fine. I use the following formula to figure out killing ability of bullets:

Bullets+organs=Dead stuff.

Holes in stuff kill things. Go shoot song dogs and be happy!!

I've shot yotes with FMJ and SMK from a .223. Amazingly they all died!! I recovered all of them.

I have shot yotes with FMJ and SMK from a 308. Amazingly they all died!! I recovered all of them.

armoredman
10-14-2013, 09:17 PM
I originally was going to use soft points...but the drying up of components meant my soft point loads are kept in reserve for "bad things", and my vz-58 really likes this cast boolit load. Also the 527CSR loves it - plink my 1/2 scale IDPA target all day at 100 yards standing.