PDA

View Full Version : Hopefully have a new rifle coming my way...

wcavasos
10-10-2013, 09:40 PM
Well, after quite a bit of headache I think I finally have my dream rifle coming my way. A Winchester 1892 short rifle in 357. My journey of course started a long time ago after holding and shooting my first lever gun. My brothers Winchester model 94 in 30/30. I wasn't really impressed with the quality of that particular rifle but definitely the ergonomics. Later my dad bought a marlin 30/30 which I got to play with. I like the look of my brothers winny better but there was no arguing that my dads marlin was of much better quality. So over the next couple of years and many visits to the gun store I realized that since my father and brother purchased their leverguns the marlin and Winchester line of lever guns kind of flip flopped. With the Winchesters being made in Japan now they were of much better quality than when my brother had purchased his rifle. And the two 1894c marlins I was able to handle in the store was of much lesser quality than the 336 that my father had purchased years ago. I then considered the alternatives to the winnys and marlins, there was the rossis, the henrys, and the ubertis. Well I knew I wanted a 357 and since the Ubertis only make them in there much heavier 1873 action, despite there fantastic quality, I had to mark them off the list. The Henrys just weren't pretty enough for me even though I have shot one of there 22 lever guns and thought it was fantastic. Although the Rossi's that I have seen in the stores were perfect for a beater gun they were never near the quality that I have been after(Even though according to what I have read online they modified the 92s lift for straight walled cartridges to allow for better feeding of cartridges than the Winchesters.) It left me with the Winchesters. Of all the 1892's they offer I liked the short rifle the best. I made a phone call to Winchester and they informed me they were no longer manufacturing that rifle and they were already all out to the distributors. So I gave my local sportsmans warehouse the model as well as my fall back model which would be the carbine(still in manufacture) to see if they could find one. Well after a couple days they call back and tell me that they can't get a short rifle(expected) but they could get me the carbine model. So I purchased the carbine model only to get a phone call the next day stating that by the time they tried to order the rifle for me the distributor was out of stock again. So instead on waiting for them to get it into stock I had them cancel the order and started looking at online gun stores and wouldn't you know it I found the short rifle I was after to begin with. After a bunch of back and fourths with my FFL and the gun store I should have it in the mail in no time. I can't wait!!!!!! Time for me to find a 357 Mould that I like. Hopefully the gun will like to feed a round nose as I would think those would be faster to pour because its seems to me they should release from the mould easier than the swc designs. What do you all think?

TXGunNut
10-10-2013, 10:59 PM
I think this may be the start of a wonderful adventure for you! Keep us posted, hope to see some pics when it arrives.

Speedo66
10-11-2013, 02:52 PM
Let us know how you like it, but please be sure to include some paragraphs.:shock:

Greg B.
10-13-2013, 12:49 PM
You should use flat noses in lever guns for safety reasons. No point in hurting yourself or wrecking a good rifle.

FergusonTO35
10-14-2013, 05:28 PM
Don't worry, Winchester will bring back the 92 at some point in the near future. They've been introducing/discontinuing/reintroducing the Browning designs for many years now. I think they could make a ton of money if they started regular production of those guns in a cheap industry state.

wcavasos
10-16-2013, 11:43 PM
A little update... The rifle will be delivered to my FFL tomorrow. I will go start the 10 day wait as soon as I possibly can. Probably tomorrow. When I report back I promise to have pictures and separate paragraphs.

Idaho Mule
10-17-2013, 12:01 AM
I really like the RCBS 158 CM mold. It is a round nose, flat point boolit that feeds very well thru my Marlin 1894. JW

Pb2au
10-21-2013, 09:06 AM
Careful, lever guns are addictive. They hate to be alone......

LeftyDon
10-21-2013, 09:26 AM
We will need pictures!

wcavasos
10-22-2013, 11:31 PM
I can pick it up on the 27th

TXGunNut
10-22-2013, 11:34 PM
We'll be expecting pics by the 28th, range report by EOM. ;-)

wcavasos
10-22-2013, 11:50 PM

This is the cell phone picture of when I bought it. More to follow when I get to actually take it home.

wcavasos
10-22-2013, 11:55 PM

Here is some pictures of some bullets I poured from a mold that I recently bought from DANDERDUDE. These are going to be used to mock up which length to load to for reliable feeding. 180 Grain round nose from lee. Great mold btw.

helice
10-23-2013, 03:56 PM
Oh dear heaven above, there goes another one. You young men just don't listen. You were warned, and you went ahead and bought it anyway. I can see your future - stretched out in front of you. In days to come you will own a couple dozen moulds, three furnaces, and at least two gun safes. Your wife will be complaining about pails of wheel weights in here kitchen. She will complain about the money spent - until she gets to shoot this addictive Winchester. Then she will be complaining that you only bought one. She will claim this one for herself an leave you struggling to find another. You will find yourself on a first name basis with the managers of every tire store in a 50 mile radius. You will trade in the family van for a Diesel truck to haul home the buckets of lead. You'll spend countless evenings slaving over a hot furnace dropping hot lead into a 5 gallon bucket of water. Eventually you will be looking for land in the sticks upon which you can build your own rifle range. Oh the misery the misery.

P.S. Nice Rifle. Welcome to the group. And thanks for wearing the uniform for us all. You have my highest respect.

LeftyDon
10-23-2013, 04:29 PM
You must be in California since you've got to wait 10 days. - Got to love how Kali figures the logic of you waiting, serving in the military and shooting guns is normal and no doubt had a background check to get in. :killingpc Thanks for your service and do join the American Legion or VFW so your voice will be heard in D.C.

wcavasos
10-27-2013, 09:49 PM

Here she is. I couldn't be happier. Super low serial number! I'd like to know if there are people out there shooting 38 special through these guns despite the "357 Mag only" stamp on the barrel. I couldn't imagine why I shouldn't but who knows. This rifle has a 1 in 18.75 twist which should shoot the 180's I'm casting quite well. I am very excited about this little rifle.
I also included a close up of the tang safety for those who would be interested. I can't imagine I will be using it. It allows you to drop the hammer with a trigger pull but blocks the hammers ability to hit the inertia style firing pin. This would be a disaster when hunting in my opinion. I will just carry it with a round in the chamber and the hammer down like they did back in the day pre-safety.
My next lever gun will be a late 1800's-1920's model 1873 likely. I might go as recent as the 1950's but I really like the old patina classic guns. I wouldn't mind loading for a vintage cartridge either. Too many guns on my list but not enough money in the bank account.

TXGunNut
10-27-2013, 10:11 PM
I like it! Haven't seen one of these I haven't liked, come to think of it. Nice fit & finish, as always. Congrats on a sweet-looking rifle....now go shoot it! ;-)

helice
10-28-2013, 10:28 AM
Wow! Beautiful piece. Great Pictures. Shoot us some groups and show us what "she"ll do.

Speedo66
10-28-2013, 12:18 PM

Here she is. I couldn't be happier. Super low serial number! I'd like to know if there are people out there shooting 38 special through these guns despite the "357 Mag only" stamp on the barrel. I couldn't imagine why I shouldn't but who knows. This rifle has a 1 in 18.75 twist which should shoot the 180's I'm casting quite well. I am very excited about this little rifle.
I also included a close up of the tang safety for those who would be interested. I can't imagine I will be using it. It allows you to drop the hammer with a trigger pull but blocks the hammers ability to hit the inertia style firing pin. This would be a disaster when hunting in my opinion. I will just carry it with a round in the chamber and the hammer down like they did back in the day pre-safety.
My next lever gun will be a late 1800's-1920's model 1873 likely. I might go as recent as the 1950's but I really like the old patina classic guns. I wouldn't mind loading for a vintage cartridge either. Too many guns on my list but not enough money in the bank account.

Nice, looks like actual Walnut. You mentioned a round in the chamber and hammer down. I assume there is a half cock notch, not all the way down?

I have an original 1873. I have to reload for it, only cartridge I do so for. Local shop has the cartridges, .38-40, but they're $90 a box. At almost $2 a pop, I'd never shoot it otherwise.

wcavasos
10-28-2013, 09:34 PM
There isn't a half cock position but with the hammer down it cannot hit the firing pin until the trigger is pressed. Even if you pressed the trigger you would have to push the hammer forward into the firing pin because it's a inertia style system.
I didn't mention how awesome the trigger is. It's not as good as my Ruger Hawkeye but it is quite nice. The more I play with it the more I love it. I just bought the rifle style lee factory crimp die, the 6-cavity tl358-158-2r round nose mould, and a 358 lube and size kit. I will be looking for some JPW and mineral spirits to make some 45-45-10 to learn and play with. A special thanks to Recluse for making such a great write-up on tumble lubing btw.
I will update this thread as I make progress. Just be patient, I will give a good report of my findings when I have enough info. Until then, wish me luck.

TXGunNut
10-31-2013, 11:20 PM
Sounds like you're off to a great start, keep us posted! Lee Liquid Alox works fine for me, can mix up the fancy stuff when you get some empty bottles.

NYBushBro
11-04-2013, 08:51 PM
Oh dear heaven above, there goes another one. You young men just don't listen. You were warned, and you went ahead and bought it anyway. I can see your future - stretched out in front of you. In days to come you will own a couple dozen moulds, three furnaces, and at least two gun safes. Your wife will be complaining about pails of wheel weights in here kitchen. She will complain about the money spent - until she gets to shoot this addictive Winchester. Then she will be complaining that you only bought one. She will claim this one for herself an leave you struggling to find another. You will find yourself on a first name basis with the managers of every tire store in a 50 mile radius. You will trade in the family van for a Diesel truck to haul home the buckets of lead. You'll spend countless evenings slaving over a hot furnace dropping hot lead into a 5 gallon bucket of water. Eventually you will be looking for land in the sticks upon which you can build your own rifle range. Oh the misery the misery.

P.S. Nice Rifle. Welcome to the group. And thanks for wearing the uniform for us all. You have my highest respect.

Amen.

shdwlkr
11-07-2013, 11:07 PM
First congrats on you purchase
Be warned you might get leveritis and it will never let go of you
mine is going on close to 50 years with no hope of a cure
Second casting
Another disease of little hope of a cure mine is now close to 45 years

lastly thank you for your service and never hesitate to ask questions

as to shooting 38 spl in 357 mag there are some cast bullets you need the shorter case to make them work. Can't remember the bullet but I know I have the mold some place.