PDA

View Full Version : Advice from bedding experts please

Pirate69
10-10-2013, 09:04 PM
I have a couple of rifles I want to bed and I want to use Marine Tex. I see a Marine Tex Gray and a Marine Tex Putty. Is the putty too thick to get the complete fill that I will need? How "runny" is the MT Grey? Thanks in advance for any advice.

On another subject. All of a sudden I see certain words in the posts that are red and double underlined. The words have a hidden pop-up that shows when you put the curser on them. Is everyone seeing this or has something slipped by my virus software?

pietro
10-10-2013, 09:57 PM

I've been glas-bedding rifles since the 1970's, and won't use anything other than MicroBed (discontinued) or AcraGlas (Brownell's).

rmcc
10-10-2013, 10:55 PM
+1 for AcraGlas from Brownells. If you can use such a phrase, AcraGlas is the most forgiving and easy to use..and cleanup. It gives ample working time and is very smooth to spread. I have gone to almost exclusively to AcraGlas Gel. I like the way it mixes and works.

rmcc

brassrat
10-10-2013, 11:26 PM
I won't comment on bedding being that my Mini-14 hasn't been disassembled since I bedded it with JB. This was around 5 yrs ago. It may or may not come apart. [smilie=l:. The computer issue was on mine too, but went away, I don't have details and I may have gotten rid of it myself. It was extremely annoying.

waksupi
10-11-2013, 02:07 AM
Not Acra Glas. Acra GEL!

country gent
10-11-2013, 09:37 AM
I actually perfer Bisonite steel bed a little harder to work with as to mixing but has a great work time and is harder than most. I have used Acra glass gell , micro bed and marine tex. I relly perfer bisonite in the service rifles as garand and M14/M1A as they dont have alot of bedding area. Brownells sells dies to color the epoxies so they can match the stock better also. There are fillers to thicken the epoxies also though Ive never used them. Marine tex is a epoxy for patching boats if I remeber correctly. But it does work. rebedding a rifle done with bisonite you will see the diffrence when your carbide burs dull from cutting it. Bisonite is hard to get and not as easy to work with but is very solid and stable. has hardened steel in it for filler.
When bedding a rifle make sure all holes, cut outs. openings are filled with clay. Everything is corated with release agent ( 2 coats). all is fit together and easy to assemble. Mix epoxy until you are sure that it is completly mixed, let set for 3-5 mins for air to work out and normalize. With a appl;icator stick ( pop cycle stick or bamboo skewers work well apply epoxy to stock filling th e cutouts for the bedding, Put a light coat on the action in all apalicable places. assemble carefully just snuggin the action into te stock but not pushing all the bedding out. Let set for a little while and with a square ended pop cycle stick clean excess and wipe down with paper towels. Its much easier to clean before hardening than after. Paper dixie cups make a great mixing container. If you want a little more working time chill the epoxy before mixing in the refridgerator. You could also sit the mixing cup of epoxy in a container of ice to keep it cold. I ussually end up with a first coat and then a light skim coat to fill air bubbles and such. WHen done correctly any stampings markings in the action will show in the bedding when done. Take your time setting up get everything where its handy ad easy to get to. Follow mixing instructions as closely as possible. work fairly quickly once epoxy is mixed. I ussually put the pillars in first then use them to set the action hieght. cut away wood around them and bed the rest of the action. Make a set of bedding screws ( action threads on straight rods) Surgical tubing works well to hold the action into the stock whie curring and dosnt push all the bedding out. 2-3 wraps of it. Heavy barrels floated can use tape to support the wieght up front.

Whiterabbit
10-11-2013, 02:35 PM
I have a rifle getting a new barrel from pacnor. The rifle was bedded from the factory. Do I need to re-bed it after it arrives?

country gent
10-11-2013, 03:07 PM
If the barrel was floated and still is probably not. But it is normal to bed a few inches of barrel in front of the action on bolt actions. so you may have to touch it up because of this.

Pirate69
10-11-2013, 08:44 PM
Thanks everyone. I think I will rethink Marine Tex.

brtelec
10-12-2013, 12:27 AM
I use Devcon 10110. The biggest advantage is in how little it shrinks when it cures.

oldarkie
10-12-2013, 04:49 PM
I bedded a ruger 77 ultralite about 20 years ago,i really thought I had screwed up,i could not get it apart.i called brownells,and yes sir I did use the release agent ,he said to put it in the freezer for an hour and it came right out, now that's a tight fit.