PDA

View Full Version : Value of a Savage 99F in 284 Win

put
10-10-2013, 08:09 PM
I have been asked to help a friend to sell his Savage 99F in 284. I know it is one of the rare calibers but I am not sure where to set the price. It is great shape except for 2 spots on the stock where the finish has rubbed off. The scope is a Leupold M8 4x that has turned purple (which the older ones will do). It is a really nice gun. I would say 95%.
Any ideas on value?

starmac
10-10-2013, 08:26 PM
I don't know what the market will bear, but if it was mine and for some terrible unforseen reason I had to sell it, I would probably start at around 1500. They will never make them anymore.

oscarflytyer
10-10-2013, 10:38 PM
Starmac hit it on the head, IMO. Before I read his post, I had the exact same price in mind. If it is in great shape, plus the scope, I think $1500 is prob right. Most likely won't go immediately at that price, but should move. You just don't see them. I have one. It is UGLY - was a TX truck gun. some light pitting, cracked/rough/repaired stock, but man it shoots, and kills very efficiently and quickly. I don't have anything in mine, and one day intend to refurb it.

As a comp, I recently bought/traded into a ~95% '50s '99 in 300 Savage, no scope, not drilled for a sling. Best one I have ever seen. 300 Savages are a dime a dozen far as caliber. I am into ti for $800 and feel like I did very well. The 284 in the condition you suggest should bring anywhere from 50-75% premium over the 300.

Would like to see a pic. Might push me to get a cpl pics of mine and post... And give you a bit of a comp comparison.