PDA

View Full Version : Turnbull Manufacturing ?

funshooter
10-10-2013, 06:18 PM
Does anyone here have any experience with the company and their firearms.

I like levers and I really like the look of the case hardened locks. I have been dreaming about their 45 90 model but before I drop that kind of cash I would like to know something about them.

Anyone know anything about them?

frankenfab
10-10-2013, 06:41 PM
As long as you can afford to buy their stuff, you will be fine. Never heard of any quality issues, ever.

gewehrfreund
10-10-2013, 06:42 PM
They are first class all the way. Too rich for my blood, but I've been to their shop several times and they are knowledgeable on all vintage finishes, etc. and do things right. A lot of it is by hand, not machine, hence the high cost of their finished products.

funshooter
10-10-2013, 06:51 PM
I have been looking for a while and am getting the itch.

I would like to own a big bore and I like the cowboy stuff. The 45 90 would fit both bills I think.

It would also be a plus to stick it in NY's ear to buy it from their state

osteodoc08
10-10-2013, 08:00 PM
Work is top notch. Many companies use them for their case coloring. I've got a browning that was worked on by them and turned out fantastic. Sometimes you gotta pay to play and you get what you pay for.

waksupi
10-10-2013, 08:57 PM
I've done business with them. Excellent quality, and actually reasonable prices.

Here are a couple pictures, not real well lit of a project they did.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?34444-For-Mauser-Fans

pietro
10-10-2013, 09:50 PM

I had a Winchester Model 1892, that Doug Turnbull refinished with some VERY nice CCH - No need to worry about either quality or service.

MarkP
10-10-2013, 10:37 PM
He did a Ruger BH in 30 M1 for me before he was well known; absolutely gorgeous colors.

gewehrfreund
10-11-2013, 08:03 AM
I have been looking for a while and am getting the itch.

I would like to own a big bore and I like the cowboy stuff. The 45 90 would fit both bills I think.

It would also be a plus to stick it in NY's ear to buy it from their state

It would be nice if there were a way to "stick it" in Andrew Cuomo's ear, but he could care less as long as he gets his way (our/his idiotic anti-gun "SAFE" Act, criminally pushed through by him and his lap-dog rubber stamp shills in the legislature) and our/your $$.

Nonetheless, I'm glad Turnbull is staying in NY, for now, and his reputation is well-deserved.

felix
10-11-2013, 04:56 PM
No hesitation is called for here. ... felix

fecmech
10-11-2013, 08:24 PM
Went to his shop last month with NSB to pick up his 86' that he had color cased and converted to half cock. Beautiful job on Johns gun and some very nice guns in the showroom. Reasonably priced for the quality and very quick turnaround time on the work.

Love Life
10-11-2013, 08:34 PM
I had one of their USFA revolvers and it was fantastic in all regards. Beautiful Carbona bluing, and stunning CCH. As soon as I can get my hands on a beater, non-stainless, Colt 1911 govt or commander it is going for the same bluing and some CCH. His price list is VERY reasonable for the quality that comes out of his shop.

KirkD
10-11-2013, 10:15 PM
Been to their shop a couple times and had a repair done there once. First class outfit.

funshooter
10-11-2013, 10:43 PM
Thanks for all of the advice. It looks like Turnbull is the way I will go

Idaho Sharpshooter
10-12-2013, 02:17 AM
eight years ago I bought an original M71 that was rough as a cob. Cut-off butt stock, really nasty lack of finish. My gunsmith turned it into an 86 clone. 30" full octagon barrel and full magazine, XX+ walnut stocks. It had feeding issues, oh yeah, it's a 50-110 now, so I bought it to see Turnbull at the SCI Convention. He told me what was wrong with it, gave me an estimate to fix it, and took it home. I got it back four months later, feeds like factory, and he color casehardened it. Beautiful rifle.

gandydancer
10-12-2013, 02:40 AM
Doug Turnbull and his crew are some of the finest craftsmen in the gun smithing//Building trade in the world. His name on a rebuild or refinish will drive the price of any firearm through the roof.I have had work done at the Trumbull shop and its always top notch.

MtGun44
10-12-2013, 02:43 AM
Finest quality, top drawer all the way. But not cheap, quality costs.

Bill

funshooter
10-12-2013, 10:36 AM

Bill

I have quite a bit of the cheep stuff and now I look for the quality. To me they are as much an investment as they are for the fun.

Time to start counting the penny's I guess. You Guy's have convinced me what I was hoping for.

Love Life
10-12-2013, 12:56 PM

Bill

Yes Sir!!! However; the quality of his work makes his prices "cheap" to me!

gandydancer
10-12-2013, 01:48 PM
Yes Sir!!! However; the quality of his work makes his prices "cheap" to me! Very well put.

Denver
10-16-2013, 06:12 PM
I have a Colt Python that I bought new back in the sixties I think, when they were $125 per copy. It originally had a 2 1/2 in barrel. I had a fire in my mobile home several years later that messed up several of my guns, including the Python. I had it refinished later, but the refinish was no where near the quality of the original factory finish. Also had the barrel replaced with a 4 inch at another later time. Lately I've been thinking of sending it to Turnbull to have the frame case colored with the cylinder and barrel reblued. Can't decide if I want to leave the 4 inch or put the original 2 1/2 in barrel back on. Would appreciate your thoughts.

youngda9
10-17-2013, 12:24 PM
2 1/2" if it's going to be your carry piece, 4" for everything else.

TXGunNut
10-19-2013, 12:00 AM
I have a Colt Python that I bought new back in the sixties I think, when they were $125 per copy. It originally had a 2 1/2 in barrel. I had a fire in my mobile home several years later that messed up several of my guns, including the Python. I had it refinished later, but the refinish was no where near the quality of the original factory finish. Also had the barrel replaced with a 4 inch at another later time. Lately I've been thinking of sending it to Turnbull to have the frame case colored with the cylinder and barrel reblued. Can't decide if I want to leave the 4 inch or put the original 2 1/2 in barrel back on. Would appreciate your thoughts.

Hate to complicate things but a 6" Python is an awesome revolver.