PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Mag 25 opinion

55BoysATR
10-10-2013, 07:21 AM
Anyone have the new Lyman Mag 25 with the digital thermostat? Looking to upgrade to a bigger pot it this one looks interesting. The smaller pot I have won't drop as many Keith 44's out of one fill as I'd like to.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-10-2013, 07:27 AM
I don't think they've shipped any yet.

kayak1
10-10-2013, 08:25 AM
I ordered mine months ago and it's still on back order.

ratitude
10-10-2013, 08:46 AM
I've been waiting for this ever since it was announced. Midway is estimating 11/14, I believe. Of course, they've changed the date every week for eight months so who knows when it will really be available.

55BoysATR
10-10-2013, 10:24 PM
Guess I'll have to be a little more patient.....

Buzz64
12-07-2013, 12:16 PM
Latest status on the Mag 25 I have:

Thank you for getting back in contact with us. Unfortunately, the manufacture didn't meet the deadline. This now pushes back to at least being anticipated, but no guarantees, of late January on into February. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

If you have any more questions, feel free to contact Customer Service at 1-800-741-0015.

Thank you for shopping with Brownells!

Larry Gibson
12-07-2013, 12:56 PM
With the demand for all those "undersized cast bullet" producing moulds and other products already in production in this long lasting buying/hoarding frenzy my guess is any new products not in production yet will have to wait.

Larry Gibson

btroj
12-07-2013, 01:23 PM
The pot will be fine unless it fails to hold 25 pounds. If yours comes up short send it to Larry, he will guarantee it holds 25 pounds but only if you use Lyman 2.

Larry Gibson
12-07-2013, 03:27 PM
Yup, please send me a Mag25.....I guarantee it won't hold 25 lbs of any alloy (unless you want to send it to me full of gold or silver to check out?) then I will have one and you won't............

Hey btroj....don'tcha got any new Lyman moulds that cast undersize? Thought they were as common as bad news? You haven't sent me any........how come?

Larry Gibson

btroj
12-07-2013, 07:01 PM
Larry, I haven't used a Lyman mould in a few years. Not because they cast undersized but because the designs I want aren't made by them.

I wish Lyman would change their specs to cast the size I want! I wouldn't mind a 457122 that was actually a 460122.

kevmc
12-08-2013, 09:35 AM
Just recv'd this from Lyman (11-15-13) regarding availability of the Lyman Mag 25:

"Unfortunately no. We have had some delays. It should be available early in
2014. We apologize for the delay, but want to make sure everything is right
before it is released"

kayak1
12-08-2013, 09:48 AM
I am canceling my back order one this one.

Frozone
12-08-2013, 05:04 PM
..... We have had some delays. .....

As in, they can't put a PID unit (i'm guessing it's the ssr actually) in an enclosure with a 700º+ heat source and make it live.

It wasn't as easy as they though it would be.

Larry Gibson
12-09-2013, 09:01 AM
Larry, I haven't used a Lyman mould in a few years. Not because they cast undersized but because the designs I want aren't made by them.

I wish Lyman would change their specs to cast the size I want! I wouldn't mind a 457122 that was actually a 460122.

Lyman used to make all sorts of custom moulds and sizes for customers as the business was there and those who had custom moulds made paid for them to be made. Demand for such went away for a lot of years and it was not profitable to do that. It also became unprofitable to maintain all the cherries and cut individual orders (they are in business to make a profit). Note no other large manufacturer of moulds makes custom moulds either. Lee did it only when an order for a mould was large enough to be profitable. The larger mould companies make "runs" of a mould to build an inventory of hundreds if not thousands. Filling an order for 1 mould not in production cost way more in "set up" time than you are willing to pay. That's where the smaller custom mould outfits come in, they can do it and make a profit. Even then their moulds are more expensive but still reasonable.

Perhaps if you could order enough 460122s Lyman might consider it? Question is; is there a market for all the ones you don't want? I'd buy one but 2 isn't going to cut it.

Larry Gibson

dikman
12-10-2013, 05:10 AM
As in, they can't put a PID unit (i'm guessing it's the ssr actually) in an enclosure with a 700º+ heat source and make it live.

It wasn't as easy as they though it would be.

Being new to this, I hadn't realised just how hot my RCBS would get - everywhere!! So yep, putting sensitive electronics inside one of these things would be an interesting challenge.

Victor N TN
12-10-2013, 11:29 PM
I ALMOST ordered a Lyman. Then called RCBS. The RCBS is made in the USA. The new Lyman is made in China. My new RCBS was delivered this morning.

Jon K
12-10-2013, 11:50 PM
Should be interesting...BUT can't compare to RCBS Customer Service.

I have a Lyman Mag Pot(not digital) failed after 14 months. I sent it back for repair, gave them my CC#, for any charges.
They returned it after about 4 months, and charged my CC $175 + shipping. NUFF said...it's still in the box.

Jon

georgerkahn
12-11-2013, 06:08 PM
I emailed Lyman last week making an inquiry; I have had one on (back)order for some time from Buffalo Arms. Cutting to the chase, the email I received at 5:04PM EST today (12/11/13) from "Support" at Lyman Products:
"Unfortunately there have been production delays on this furnace. At this time it may be 3 to 4 months before we are ready to ship. We apologize for this delay. It wasn't planned, but we want to make sure everything is right before shipping them.

We hope this response has sufficiently answered your questions. If not, please do not send another email. Instead, reply to this email or login to your account for a complete archive of all your support requests and responses."

I trust this answers your question? Re "me", I bought a PID controller from a fellow on this site to use on my Lyman Mould Master pot; if/when the Lyman 25Mag comes... I'll transfer the PID to my Lyman 450, using it on that. Not the best solution, perhaps, but I feel it's the best way for me to deal with the delay.

Best and cheers!
geo

Bogone
12-13-2013, 05:06 PM
I spoke with Lyman on the phone today and they said it would be late spring or early summer next year before they ship.

Charlie

dikman
12-14-2013, 01:41 AM
Seems they may have been just a tad optimistic when they first advertised them.........lots of slippage with the availability date.

doghawg
12-14-2013, 12:00 PM
I ALMOST ordered a Lyman. Then called RCBS. The RCBS is made in the USA. The new Lyman is made in China. My new RCBS was delivered this morning.

Good for you! Let Lyman sell their pot to Chinese casters!;) I know, I know....the made in USA vs. made in china thing is a losing battle but anytime I have a choice I'm going American. My dippers are Waage and bottom pours are RCBS and Lee.

georgerkahn
12-16-2013, 06:12 PM
Having had a ladder drop on my Lyman 81 furnace, squarely/perfectly smashing the plug-in and thermostat (putting ladder away -- oops -- after a garage-painting detail) -- I several months ago ordered (as noted in previous post) a Lyman 25Mag. However, after reading comments from Boolit Casters who surely know more than I'll ever on this site re both Lyman and RCBS, I today rang Brandon at Buffalo Arms cancelling my Lyman Order, replacing it instead with a RCBS Pro Melt! Brandon indicated it will be FedEx'd to me tomorrow... and, I feel great that I reduced any stress/pressure to Lyman Corp ;)! I'll be looking in other threads for wisdom re my new toy...

Just added this post to share that at least this (65 yr old) kid's waiting days are (almost) over!

Best!
geo

dikman
12-16-2013, 08:15 PM
Good choice. Could have been a long wait otherwise. Are you going to gift-wrap it and put it under the Christmas tree? ;).

Oh, and make sure you keep it away from ladders [smilie=1:.

georgerkahn
12-16-2013, 09:32 PM
Nada on gift wrapping; I do need to modify my rolling casting bench, so the new furnace will have a prima spot on a saw in my shop until I get it (re)built for this furnace! The ladder snafu was the norm of most of my accidents: not thinking! I have one of those too-expensive folding aluminum ladders which can be used as an extension-, step-, or folding ladders which "lives" hanging on ladder hooks above the window on garage side wall. Underneath is ample room for my rolling casting set-up, a generator, etc., and when I went to put ladder away I hooked "other" end to a ladder hook. As I went to hook on the end in my hands, I didn't realize I had the ladder "backwards" so the plane/flat profile was not to be against the wall. Oops. All went ok until I pushed my end in -- which caused the other end to come crashing down with a direct hit on the plug end which connects to furnace. Eventually I want to see if I can get it apart -- it's riveted, not screwed -- and just run some wires from the element to a PID controller. But for now -- a "retirement present" for myself (I retired September 10th) seemed a great excuse to get a brand new furnace. I hope to get out the Dremel one of these days to open up the control box on this early 1970's unit to ascertain what I might be able to do... Again. my PID integration hopes may restore it as a backup.

Thanks for your interest!

Best!
geo

dikman
12-17-2013, 04:48 AM
Retirement is good! I think I've finally learned not to worry about not being busy all the time, and am becoming very skilled at doing nothing! One of my retirement presents, 5 years ago, (from me to me) was a MIG welder (a Lincoln). Been very useful, so I just bought a plasma cutter to keep it company.

If your Lyman is basically intact, it should make a nice little project to restore it.

Randy C
01-02-2014, 07:17 AM
I think I will cancel my order from optics Planet for the Lyman, I ordered It about a year ago, I have a lee 10 and 20LB pot, 20 has a PID on It and I like the one with out the PID the best so far. I cant remember how to adjust the PID on the 20LB pot. I have a problem remembering things especially If don't use it much.