PDA

View Full Version : Question About One of My Mihec Moulds

Cadillo
10-10-2013, 12:14 AM
Of my three Mihec's, the one I use the most is giving me an ongoing problem in that the sprue plate pivot Lock Screw, the small Allen screw that goes into the side of the mould has, along with the supplied Allen wrench rounded out, and thus can't be tightened enough to keep the sprue plate at the proper adjustment. I have little to no knowledge of metrics, so am wondering whether anyone here knows the sizes of both the set screw and Allen wrench needed to keep it tightened. A source for the two items would also be a big help.

Please don't refer me to Miha! He makes a great product, but is not too good at surfacing here on the forum since he went full time. I hope that he finds true success and can be around for a long time.

tomme boy
10-10-2013, 12:26 AM
A few of mine did this too. The allen wrench he supplies seems to be the wrong size. I found one in my standard set that fit really tight. The one he includes felt like it was about to strip right from the start. Not so with the one I use. I can't remember the size, but if you have a set of standards, it should fit it.

tomme boy
10-10-2013, 12:38 AM
Found it. It was a metric one. A 2mm drive bit. Not an allen wrench.

Cadillo
10-11-2013, 12:12 AM
I'm hoping to replace both the screw and the wrench to insure proper operation.

Anyone have any idea regarding the size of the screw and a source?

captaint
10-11-2013, 08:47 AM
Well, certainly it's going to be metric. I would try any larger hardware place. I think they have metrics. Might take the set screw with you and match up the threads just to be sure. Mike

Beagle333
10-11-2013, 11:33 AM
My set screws round off the supplied wrench, but a 2mm one from my own set fits just fine and will allow full torque without stripping.

Cadillo
10-11-2013, 08:47 PM
Beagle,

Thanks, you have me halfway there!

Near Auburn eh? I have a brother over that way just outside Smith's Station. Beautiful and nice country!

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-11-2013, 09:33 PM
I googled "drive size 2mm set screw"
nearly everything that came up was M4 or 4mm
the standard coarse thread for M4 setscrews is 0.7mm

This is very similar is size and thread pitch to SAE 8-24...But not interchangeable.

I'd look for one about 6mm long.
Here is an enlarged image of one.
http://monsterfastener.com/itemview.aspx?itm=SMSS04C006&gclid=CK2n_5iTkLoCFalAMgodizEAaQ

StratsMan
10-11-2013, 10:10 PM
And try putting a small piece of brass between the set screw and the sprue plate screw... Not so likely to crush the thread, and that bit of brass will conform to the threads on the sprue plate screw... Holds it fast...

Mal Paso
10-13-2013, 01:09 PM
Yes it is M4 0.7

Buzz64
10-13-2013, 09:19 PM
Just picked up three at my local ACE hardware. The M4 0.7 fits perfectly.

Cadillo
10-14-2013, 05:49 PM
Thanks Guys!

For me the key to the puzzle was the mention that the Allen Wrench was 2mm in size. I drove fifteen miles to the nearest Tru-Value Hardware store and went through the small parts bin section. There I found a 2mm Allen wrench, and then found the only metric set screws that had a socket to fit it, and they looked the right size. I bought two of slightly different lengths, and when I got the home, they fit perfectly, albeit one was just a shade longer than the OEM part, but will work just fine as a backup.

Incidentally, the OEM screw also works just fine and will torque up nicely using my new CHINESE Allen wrench, which seems to be of better steel and more proper size than the one supplied. The OEM Allen wrench is indeed the Achilles heel of the Mihec system.

Easy fix with a little help from my friends here!

PS

Don't bother trying to use an English system Allen Wrench. I did, and it was sort of close, but not the perfect fit of the Tru-Value 2mm Chinese part.

Mal Paso
10-14-2013, 10:08 PM
Harbor Freight has Allen wrench sets on sale quite often. I paid $5 for both Metric 1.5 to 10mm and standard 1/16 to 3/8 in plastic holders.

Miha must have received a bad batch of wrenches. A couple I got measure 5/64s but 1 is .001' shy of my 2mm wrench.

Cadillo
10-15-2013, 07:12 PM
Forgot to mention. Tru-Value Hardware had individual metric Allen wrenches for sale. I think I paid $0.63 for mine. Exactly what the doctor ordered. I'll pick up a spare next time I'm in the neighborhood.