PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Tried Goex Cartridge?

Silver Jack Hammer
10-09-2013, 09:39 AM
My local dealer in Holy Black presented a can of Goex Cartridge when I asked for FFg for my .45-70. I've never heard of it before. Anybody tried it?

Don McDowell
10-09-2013, 09:53 AM
Cartridge has been around for a long long time. Unfortunately Goex discontinued it about 3 or 4 years ago.So be advised if you find a barn burner load, the available supply is extremely limited.
With that said it is a very accurate powder, a bit slow in velocity, and fouls fairly heavy , but it's a softer fouling that is fairly easily dealt with.
68-70 grs by weight with most 500-535 grs bullets and a .030 fiber wad should yield you very good accuracy in your 45-70.
72 grs with a 350-400 gr bullet makes a real good offhand match/ hunting load.

Gunlaker
10-09-2013, 10:11 AM
I like it, but as Don said, there isn't a lot of point working with a discontinued powder. I still have most of a can of Cartridge. The Express line is also discontinued.

Unless you can get a full case I wouldn't bother.

Chris.

country gent
10-09-2013, 11:27 AM
I got 2 lbs of cartridge goex at the local gun shop last summer, didnt know it was discontinued then. At roughly 85 grns per round in my 45-90 its not hardly worth dealing with other than fun loads now. I would have liked to know it was discontinued before I bought it. I havent done anything with it yet but will shortly

Larry Gibson
10-09-2013, 11:38 AM
I shot a lot of Goex Cartridge in my TD target 45-70 rifle but now prefer Goex 3F in standard BP loads. The Cartridge powder was a sifted and more uniform BP and was excellent. P*ssed me off when it was discontinued.

Larry Gibson

MT Chambers
10-09-2013, 11:58 AM
It's like a lot of other things, if it works good and you like it, they discontinue it! I liked it in my 45/70 because it was consistent...not necessarily between lots, but within the same lot.

bigted
10-09-2013, 02:18 PM
im with Larry ... im pretty peeved with the discontinuation of my fav powder. I still have 8 or 10 pounds of it but I have moved on with the available 2f from the same outfit as I can get it and hopefully will continue to be able to do so.

I have relegated my supply to my handgun needs. I want loads that I can repeat in my long guns so my Cartridge feeds my 36 and 44 c&b revolvers as well as my 357 and 44mag and 45colt revolvers.

srry it aint better news. its great powder but if its not available then not much use in developing a load with the stuff.

Lead pot
10-12-2013, 12:06 PM
When they stopped making the Goex Exp powder I ordered several different powders. Diamond, Schuetzen, and a couple others including some old Goex1f and 2F poured them in a big 5 gallon glass bottle and mixed them all together when I found the powder I wanted to use. I use hat mixed powder for shooting at our local 200 yard range busting bowling pins and shooting golf balls hanging from strings. It shoots just fine and I get trigger time using it. @ 200 yards it don't make too much difference what you stuff in the case it will biust bowling pins without a problem.

bigted
10-12-2013, 03:02 PM
leadpot ... maybe im cornfused ... you did WHAT in a glass 5 gal bottle? how does mixing different makers of powder and also mix in different size in F size powders in the mix ever make a useful powder ... is that what you did? also how did you arrive at a useable powder ... sight or experimenting with the MIX? interesting thought. maybe mixing different batch's of homemade powder with some factory manufactured powder would net a more useful and permanent powder but how in the world would a feller ever mix it the same next time?

Lead pot
10-12-2013, 03:41 PM
Ted,

No confusion :) Any blk powder is usable, some just plain shoot better. I have a 5 gal glass water cooler bottle that works perfect for blending powder.

When I cant get the powder I use because it's discontinued, I order a split case or different brands, usually 1fg and 2fg and I work up ladder loads with the bullets/wads I have and different primer combinations till I find a load that does not foul badley and hydrates well with a low vertical on the paper. The powder that does not do what I want gets blended into one batch and only gets used for plinking or the front stuffers. Quite frankly I don't see too much difference @ 100 or 200 yards blending this powder together and that includes 1,2,and 3F works just fine.