PDA

View Full Version : New gun lotsa Questions

Little Doc
10-08-2013, 11:47 PM
Hello, I am new to the pcp airgun. have been casting bullets since 1960 so not new to that but still learning. I got a DAQ 308 earlier this year am just now getting to do some shooting. have shot around 300 shots so think it might be breaking in. Shot it over the chrony a couple days ago. This brings up many questions so I will share some info and hope someone can explain what why and how to.
I have cast bullets at 92gr. from a lee mould for 32cal pistol. this bullet sized to .308 is like shooting a shotgun. after running it thru a bullet swage die for 308 to reform the nose it shoots well. I also have a noe 130gr mould made for airgun.
I shot both of these at 50yds. and chronied the shots. here is what I got. fill to 3000psi refill after three shots.
130gr 30-1 lubed with rooster jacket
1. 849fps
2. 803fps
3. 768fps

92gr lee reformed same lub
1. 972fps
2. 920fps
3.873fps

once I had a zero I tried to shoot a group and shot 1 is three or so inches low shot 2 is1.5 and shot 3 is poa.
so finally to get the shot together I shot 1 with the second mill dot down the shot 2 with one mill dot down and shot 3 dead on.

If I go to 100yes I guess this will double or worse. have not tried that yet.
I read about regulating pcp guns. how, what?
does this gun need tuning? what is involved?
maybe this is just the way it is but I do not know. lot to learn about pcp.

Looking for information someone educate me please.
m

cody9999
10-09-2013, 12:44 AM
Both my Daq's liked higher pressure. Keep adding 100lbs each time you fill till your 1st and 2nd shot are the same velocity. My 45 lives at 3800 psi. two shots within 5 fps. 3rd shot 40 fps slower. if you don't want or like the higher pressure you can either find a lighter spring or take the current spring and cut one coil at a time till your down where you want to be or go to a lighter hammer.

melloairman
10-09-2013, 12:45 AM
Doc the 92 grain bullet is known to be inaccurate past 20 yards . I use the Lee 100 grain .311 in my .312, 909 with good results . Drops at about 102 grains and .3115-.312 with 22 bhn range lead . In my .308 Corsair I use the Lee .309 113 RF with good results . Drops about .309 and 117 grains with 22 bhn range lead . I have yet to get my hands on a .308 DAQ so I do not know if they will except that hard of alloy .
By looking at you fps you have not reached a bell curve which normally works best for a non regulated tethered rifle . And to my knowledge there is really no regulators on the market for such a BB . Shot one for a curve should be a few feet lower than shot two and shot two a little higher than shot three . By looking at your fps your POI makes no since at all . Could trigger pull be a issue ? With a bell curve you might have to use some over and under hold to maintain a close group . Try and take your fill to 3100 psi and see if you do not get a curve out of it and if not try 3200 . Then you can try to cut it down by making your fills in 50 psi increments to find tune it .
You have no heat to burn soft lubes away and you can lube foul a barrel in a few shots with it . I use spray dry moly or dry slide . Or find some silicon ,or Teflon spray that will dry and use sparingly . One thing you might want to do is put a set in the spring . No builders do it that I know of and in a short period of time you fps will lower quite a bit due to the spring taking a set on its own . And that will change you fill rate as well .GL Marvin

Little Doc
10-09-2013, 11:13 PM
thanks for the info cody9999
I will have to get my tank refilled before I can do that. had not thought of doing that. I will give it a try.
m

Little Doc
10-09-2013, 11:23 PM
melloradman
I have heard that about 92 gr bullets. that was my experience until I ran them in a point form swage die for making jacketed bullets. just changing the nose shape changed the way they shoot.
DAQ states that his barrels are made from mild steel. he bores and rifles them himself and warns of the metal being soft and to not over clean it. he suggest that pure lead should be used and sized to .308. he made it so I followed his advice except to add a small amount of tin to the mix. I have heard that these guns don't like hard bullets. probably will not try the hard bullets. had not thought of Teflon spray but may give that a try. thanks for the info.
m

melloairman
10-10-2013, 12:05 AM
[QUOTE=Little Doc;2423453]melloradman
I have heard that about 92 gr bullets. that was my experience until I ran them in a point form swage die for making jacketed bullets. just changing the nose shape changed the way they shoot.
DAQ states that his barrels are made from mild steel. he bores and rifles them himself and warns of the metal being soft and to not over clean it. he suggest that pure lead should be used and sized to .308. he made it so I followed his advice except to add a small amount of tin to the mix. I have heard that these guns don't like hard bullets. probably will not try the hard bullets. had not thought of Teflon spray but may give that a try. thanks for the info.
m[/QUOTE
He was making his barrels out of the same material .22 RF barrels are made of if that is of value to you . I use the hard alloy because I have over a ton of it . But I have a Cabine tree bhn tester as well . If I cast with a 22 bhn lead it normally is no harder than 10 bhn 4 days later . That allows me to use some of it in my Korean rifles as well . I would slug that barrel if it was mine and go from there .GL Marvin
http://www.quackenbushairguns.com/Airgun_barrels.htm