PDA

View Full Version : Lee .312" in a 30

Lead melter
11-02-2007, 05:47 PM
Well, we all live and learn I guess. I posted a query here a couple weeks ago concerning the use of the Lee C312-175-RN boolit in a 30-30 lever gun. Gave it a try yesterday and I have to say the results were impressive. I sized the boolits .311" with RCBS rifle lube, while attaching a Hornady gas check, seated them over 10 grains Unique and a Winchester LR primer. 12 shots into 1 hole about the size of a half dollar at 50 yards with an old 336 and Williams peep sight. Two 6-shot groups were fired, the first averaged 1447 fps and the second averaged 1442 fps with an extreme spread of 43 fps. I love results like this, but there is one drawback...the somewhat pointy round nose. Loaded rounds, when crimped in the cannelure, were too long for the action. This can be resolved simply by slightly deeper seating, although the entire nose of the boolit had rifling engraving marks on it, which is usually an indication of potential accuracy, but the boolit tip looks just a might shaky to me. Anyone else tried this? I suppose I can make this a "two-shooter". What think ye?

[smilie=b:

Leftoverdj
11-02-2007, 06:05 PM
If the tip bothers you and you need the bullet to be a bit shorter, just put the bullets on the pedestal from a Lee sizer and run them up into a pistol seating die with an SWC top punch. That'll turn them into FNs very quickly, very uniformly, and with minimal efect on accuracy.

Bret4207
11-02-2007, 06:57 PM
Bingo. Emmett said it perfect.

BTW- I'm sorta surprised your load wasn't moving a bit faster. My '94 must be a little tighter.

Lead melter
11-03-2007, 09:00 AM
dj,
Seems like a good idea to me. I'll give it a whirl. Thanks.

Bret,
I believe my rifle is the short barrel version, which may explain the slower velocities. But, I'm happy with that speed. Should work wonders on tree rats in my territory. By the way, this particular rifle has had the stock cut off to make it usable for young'uns. The whole shebang measures 36" tip to tip. Handy as a pocket on a shirt.