PDA

View Full Version : USAF Ford Tug - Information Request

bikerbeans
10-08-2013, 06:03 PM
Very good friend of mine just bought this Tug. His father collects and restored old trucks and tractors. At about 50 years old, this Tug is one of the newest in his collection. They would like to know if there is a resource or way to track the military history of this vehicle.

thanks

BB

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-800-Moto-Tug-United-States-Air-ForceTractor-Original-Running-Condition-RARE-/380719125132

starmac
10-08-2013, 06:23 PM
Does it happen to be one of the 9n fords with the V8 flathead in it, or one of the newer ones that is not actually on a tractor frame. The ones I have seen from that era had the Y block ford motor in them.

Artful
10-08-2013, 06:26 PM
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Ford-800-Moto-Tug-United-States-Air-ForceTractor-Original-Running-Condition-RARE-/00/s/MTA2NlgxNjAw/z/YWkAAOxyaoFSETl3/$T2eC16dHJGQFFh366yk2BSETl3PE(g~~60_12.JPG

Doesn't look like any flathead V8 I've seen

starmac
10-08-2013, 06:31 PM
They did make a few for almagordo air base with the flathead V8. They are pretty rare and supposedly worth some bucks if original.

ggb3
10-08-2013, 06:56 PM
The hood looks more like the jubilee model. Have the friend go to the yesterday tractors site, one of them boys is sure to know, and probably has a few in the barn....

dagger dog
10-08-2013, 07:48 PM
The Yesterdays Tractor site has a serial# look up, and a big list of other sources, if it is an 8 N and has a flat head V8 that is known as a Funk conversion . There are tracked conversion and all types that were done to mid late 40's early to mid 50's 8n's, but the hood sheet metal looks similar to a later late 50's to mid 60's Work Master.

montana_charlie
10-08-2013, 08:04 PM
It's an industrial (yellow paint) Ford 800.
It says so in the title of the sale ad, and it looks like a Ford 800.
4 cylinder overhead valve engine, 172 cubic inches, ~45 horsepower.
The agricultural Ford 800 was red with grey tin, and the 801 (like mine) was blue with grey tin.

CM

472x1B/A
10-08-2013, 10:10 PM
bikerbeans. To reflect on my past experience, of repairing/working on these bad choice of intended use military vehicles, I will attempt to answer your question. Depending on what base/command ( TAC , MAC , SAC , etc. command policy ) this tug was assigned, when it was sent to disposition the maintenance records ( this vehicles life history ) were either distroyed or sent with the tug to be auctioned to the public. The highest bidder got the records (maybe) and the tug. These were usually sold in lots, of 2 each or up to as many as 10 each. Again depending on base or command. This is my experience of U S Air Force vehicle disposition.

uscra112
10-09-2013, 04:20 AM
Does it happen to be one of the 9n fords with the V8 flathead in it, or one of the newer ones that is not actually on a tractor frame. The ones I have seen from that era had the Y block ford motor in them.

Since 9N / 8N / 2N / Jubilee tractors have no frame, and the front axle is mounted to the front of the block, I'm wondering how a V-8 of any stripe could be fitted into one?

bikerbeans
10-09-2013, 06:12 AM
bikerbeans. To reflect on my past experience, of repairing/working on these bad choice of intended use military vehicles, I will attempt to answer your question. Depending on what base/command ( TAC , MAC , SAC , etc. command policy ) this tug was assigned, when it was sent to disposition the maintenance records ( this vehicles life history ) were either distroyed or sent with the tug to be auctioned to the public. The highest bidder got the records (maybe) and the tug. These were usually sold in lots, of 2 each or up to as many as 10 each. Again depending on base or command. This is my experience of U S Air Force vehicle disposition.

thank you for your response.

BB

bikerbeans
10-09-2013, 06:13 AM
has a 4 wire distributor cap in one of the pics I have.

BB

bikerbeans
10-09-2013, 06:16 AM
It's an industrial (yellow paint) Ford 800.
It says so in the title of the sale ad, and it looks like a Ford 800.
4 cylinder overhead valve engine, 172 cubic inches, ~45 horsepower.
The agricultural Ford 800 was red with grey tin, and the 801 (like mine) was blue with grey tin.

CM

Ad is a little misleading because it is listed as a Moto Tug. Best I can find, the Moto Tug was built during WWII for the US Navy.

BB

Alan in Vermont
10-09-2013, 06:31 AM
Since 9N / 8N / 2N / Jubilee tractors have no frame, and the front axle is mounted to the front of the block, I'm wondering how a V-8 of any stripe could be fitted into one?

While it may be hard to understand how they did the conversion the fact remains that it was done, and not as a one-off experiment but a low production, aftermarket, process. It's more than a little amazing that the original drivetrain withstood the huge horsepower increase of the V-8.

There was also the Sherman two speed conversion which allowed for eight forward speeds and two in reverse.

uscra112
10-10-2013, 02:52 AM
Shermans are not all that uncommon. Wish I had one in mine. Installing one involves splitting the engine from the rear, but otherwise not much.

I'd love to see photographic evidence of a "V-8 version". I'm still skeptical. I spent the last 15 years of my career in automotive powertrain plants, so I've got a pretty darned good idea of how expensive it would be to make up a "custom casting" to take V-8 guts and bolt to an "xN" rear end. It would have had to be a 100% toolroom operation, and in those days machining just one block might have taken a week or more. Not saying it could not be done, but the cost.

BTW I've had my 8N gearbox cover off, and it would not amaze me at all to see one handle 50 HP for a reasonable while. I've worked on trannys from 200hp cars that were much less robust.

merlin101
10-10-2013, 04:01 AM
Check out Steel Soldiers web site all military vehicles

dagger dog
10-10-2013, 07:25 AM
uscra112,

google Awesome Henry V8 conversion, their web site has the adaptor on the home page, the Funk was an earlier one, I don't think they are still in business, their version even included a cast oil pan with no outside frame rails like the newer ones.

Classic Tractor Fever on the RFD channel reruns several programs a month and some editions show the 8n V8 Fords.

ggb3
10-10-2013, 07:46 AM
Shermans are not all that uncommon. Wish I had one in mine. Installing one involves splitting the engine from the rear, but otherwise not much.

I'd love to see photographic evidence of a "V-8 version". I'm still skeptical. I spent the last 15 years of my career in automotive powertrain plants, so I've got a pretty darned good idea of how expensive it would be to make up a "custom casting" to take V-8 guts and bolt to an "xN" rear end. It would have had to be a 100% toolroom operation, and in those days machining just one block might have taken a week or more. Not saying it could not be done, but the cost.

BTW I've had my 8N gearbox cover off, and it would not amaze me at all to see one handle 50 HP for a reasonable while. I've worked on trannys from 200hp cars that were much less robust.

Hello USCRA112,
I have seen one in person at a tractor show and, although not the one I seen, the link below shows one. I have a 9N (normal configuration). They are really well engineered, strong tractors. It would be nice to have live PTO though.

http://www.oldfordtractors.com/funk.htm