PDA

View Full Version : Slug Gun Range Report

OnHoPr
10-08-2013, 11:28 AM
Well, went to Ortonville Range (MI) yesterday (10/4/13) to do a little shooting with the slug gun. The wind was from 4:00 about 9 mph fluctuating from 5 to 12 mph. Did a bit of shooting at the 50 yd range then I went to the 100 yd range. I tried a few different ammo types during the afternoon. The range closes at 5:00, last shot 4:45, so just before 4:00 I moved my gear down to the 200 yard range and then put up a target. About 4:30 I took three shots, the wind settled down and with the trees on the right side of the range it was quite calmer than earlier in the day. Here’s my first three shot group at 200 yards with the Mossy 835. The scope was set up for a 2 MOA wind drift at 100 yards from the right. I was expecting a little more drop compared to the ballistics on the Hornady ammo box. I also took a few reloads with me but didn't get a chance to shoot them because it was about 80 degrees and after about three shots I had to let my barrel cool down for about ten minutes. The reloads were with the Lee slug, the Blue RRS with a Maxi in them, and the 501 Lee S&W with range pick ups from the Remington ultra core lokt sabot (the one with the metal disc in the bottom of the sabot). Maybe next range mission.

Equipment:
Mossberg 835 with Trophy Slugster barrel
Gander Mountain Guide Series 3 x 9 Scope
Hornady 12 ga 300 gr SST
One Hole Products Accurizing Slug Shotgun Kit Model MOSS001
200 yards