PDA

View Full Version : New Lee 2 cavity mold

skeet1
10-08-2013, 10:42 AM
I just wanted to say that I just received my first Lee mold of the new two cavity design and it is a beauty. It is a 312-185 that I use for .30-06 in a Springfield sized at .311. I have a single cavity in this boolit but got tired of the slow casting rate.

The new mold design is very good with the two alignment pins and it is amazing what you can still buy for $20.00.

Ken :bigsmyl2:

Pb2au
10-08-2013, 10:59 AM
I agree, it is light years better than the old alignment arrangement.

Elkins45
10-08-2013, 11:01 AM
I agree, it is light years better than the old alignment arrangement.

Pb2Au I love your username!

I agree the new design is superior for alignment. I wonder how the slimmer sides (less mass) will impact overheating with really big boolets?

Pb2au
10-09-2013, 04:46 PM
That is an interesting point.
The mold I got was Lee's 300 grain 45 RNFP mold, and it swallows a lot of lead. I am still trying to find the sweet spot on the heat. It does seem to take and hold the heat quickly. I have found with that mold that I send it to a wet rag for a cooling cycle more often to keep it in a nice workable zone for casting. That and I tend to run the pot a smidge cooler as well. Like many things in life, you simply have to find the path and follow it.
I absolutely love the lock up/aligment system on it. I am preparing to order the Lee 255 grain semi wadcutter (45 cal) in the six banger configuration. If I am not mistaken, those molds use the same alignment system too.