PDA

View Full Version : Best Lube for high velocity ?

capt.hollis
10-07-2013, 09:39 PM
As of now I'm making 45/45/10 for a .30 cal Blackout, and for a 5.56 plus a 9mm . It seems to be fine for the .30 cal and 9mm, but not for the 5.56. Any suggestions ?
Thanks guys.

btroj
10-07-2013, 10:12 PM
Long as temps are over 40 degrees I would go with Carnuba Red. FWFL would work well too.

Many good options really.

geargnasher
10-07-2013, 10:13 PM
And what exactly is the problem your 5.56 is having?

Gear

capt.hollis
10-07-2013, 11:14 PM
And what exactly is the problem your 5.56 is having?

Gearsome leading , not much , but I'm figuring with that hot of a load I'm using the 45/45/10 isn't holding up.

btroj
10-07-2013, 11:18 PM
Many things can cause leading, most don't involve lube. Pressure, velocity, alloy, fit are at wet hat come to mind. Lube can't overcome poor fit, bullets de formed under pressure, bullets that strip from the lands and allow gas cutting and many other ills.

What load, bullet, etc? It many not be a lube problem.

capt.hollis
10-07-2013, 11:18 PM
Carnuba Red is the pan lubing route correct? I'd prefer a tumble lube that can withstand high velocities if there are any, other than straight Alox????

capt.hollis
10-07-2013, 11:22 PM
Many things can cause leading, most don't involve lube. Pressure, velocity, alloy, fit are at wet hat come to mind. Lube can't overcome poor fit, bullets de formed under pressure, bullets that strip from the lands and allow gas cutting and many other ills.

What load, bullet, etc? It many not be a lube problem.
I know there are many factors here, but I'm going to start with the lube first, and go from there to the reliable load I've been using for years.

btroj
10-08-2013, 07:48 AM
Carnuba red has given some people fits trying to pan lube with it. Felix lube works well for pan lubing.

Tumble lube in general seems to fail at higher pressures. Not sure why. I don't know of any tumble lubes that are likely to do any better than 45-45-10.

You say it is a reliable load used for years. With cast? If so, why not use the lube used in the past? If it was a jacketed load then there lies the problem. In rifles a jacketed load often is way beyond what a "normal" cast bullet can handle.

capt.hollis
10-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Carnuba red has given some people fits trying to pan lube with it. Felix lube works well for pan lubing.

Tumble lube in general seems to fail at higher pressures. Not sure why. I don't know of any tumble lubes that are likely to do any better than 45-45-10.

You say it is a reliable load used for years. With cast? If so, why not use the lube used in the past? If it was a jacketed load then there lies the problem. In rifles a jacketed load often is way beyond what a "normal" cast bullet can handle. Ok, so I think I'll try the Felix lube. I appreciate the info bt

btroj
10-08-2013, 12:58 PM
Felix lube is never a bad choice. It is sort of the "gold standard" of lubes.

w5pv
10-08-2013, 03:35 PM
I have never used Felix Loob but I have used Ben's Red with no leading pushing a 200 grain ww close to or maybe over 2000 fps in a 3006.The load was 40 grains of 4831 under 200 grain ww bullet.grouped 3/4" at 75 yards.The speed is guess work on my part,I don't have crony.No signs of high pressure,no split cases or flatten primers.I am very well satisfied with this combo and plan to use it on bambi or hogs.