PDA

View Full Version : How much "stuff" have you accumulated over the years?

ASM826
10-07-2013, 01:01 PM
I am starting this thread because, for the last several weeks, I have been helping a friend sell off everything he had acquired over decades of reloading. He's elderly, has had a couple of heart attacks, and his wife has Alzheimer's. He did not want to leave it to his daughters, who have no knowledge or interest, and his wife would have no way to cope with it.

He asked and I volunteered to help. He's the man that taught me to reload and then a few years later taught me to cast. We have a friendship that started with a shared interest in shooting but grew to include our wives and families. This could be an epic thread of great detail but the short story is we did it. Sales to local shooters, one yard sale, and a table at a gun show, and now there is very little to deal with except the handloaded ammo we both agreed we were not selling. All the presses, tools, casting equipment, dies, sizers, swagers, scales, bullets, and brass that so recently filled a two car garage are gone.

It was very difficult for him to reach this decision and emotionally hard to see it go, but having seen what is left for families to deal with, he decided to do it himself. The guns are a separate issue and he has them being dealt with by another trusted friend who is a dealer and they have a business agreement going I was uninvolved in.

So how much stuff do you have? If you started filling cases and shooting a hundred rounds a day, how long would it be before you ran out? How may buckets of brass, cases of primers, and so on have piled up because the deal was just too good? I'm not looking for numbers, but your thoughts on this topic. I think half the people that stopped at our table at the show laughed and said, "I don't need to buying this, I need to do what you are are doing.", and then bought bags of brass or bullets, a mold or two, just because the price was good.

And just a thought or a prayer for a good friend whose days at the range have come to an end. I posted here because I don't think there's anyone else but other reloaders to understand what I'm trying to say.

dbosman
10-07-2013, 01:11 PM
I understand. I'm 59, but I already know none of my kids will want to keep much of what I'll leave. I've been trying for several years to move past my "I might need that someday" heritage. I grew up on a farm where you kept everything and never got rid of tools.
Thanks for the reminder.

w5pv
10-07-2013, 01:29 PM
I am 71+ and my kids have no use for a lot of the treasures I have acquired over the years.I was telling my son the other day that a friend of mine never got rid of anything,His reply was "like you do"I keep anything that I may have a use for later.My son and his mother will have me digging through the trash can to see what they have decided for me that I no longer need.

Dr.S
10-07-2013, 01:32 PM
I've been selling everything I havent used in years on ebay.Not gun related stuff.
I'm trying to get my total load down to 2 pickup loads.Having things is nice but too many possesions ties ya down.And costs you money.look at all the people with storage units.Paying 30 a month to store 400 worth of useless ****.I'm seriouslt thinking about buying some land out in the middle of nowhere and getting an Rv.Cut way down on property taxes.Bury a shipping container/s to put yer gun stuff in that the county cant see to raise your taxes or some bs zoning issue.Everything you own will eventually belong to someone else.Its up to you to choose who picks thru it.I wouldnt leave a gun to someone who didnt already own one,not even my kids.But getting back to you helping out the older man,good on you.

novalty
10-07-2013, 01:32 PM
I started out with an RCBS Rockchucker kit I found at a yard sale.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m11/novalty1970/Reloading/ReloadingBench002-1.jpg (http://s100.photobucket.com/user/novalty1970/media/Reloading/ReloadingBench002-1.jpg.html)

Has amassed to
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m11/novalty1970/Reloading/Reloadingbench_zpsec228d44.jpg (http://s100.photobucket.com/user/novalty1970/media/Reloading/Reloadingbench_zpsec228d44.jpg.html)

and a second bench for cleaning and casting items.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m11/novalty1970/Reloading/CastingCleaningBench_zps1e5c4915.jpg (http://s100.photobucket.com/user/novalty1970/media/Reloading/CastingCleaningBench_zps1e5c4915.jpg.html)

lancem
10-07-2013, 03:59 PM
I'm doing what Johnf is thinking about doing... When the wife and I decided to retire we pretty much sold everything, including the house and are living in an RV right now on a 120 acres of happiness. Hoping soon to have a garage finished soon so I will have somewhere to load besides the front yard. So in many ways a lot of my stuff went away then, with a goal of early retirement from a job I hated it wasn't too bad of a task, still I wish I had kept some things but then there's always the joy of going and buying something :)

Del-Ray
10-07-2013, 04:18 PM
Been reloading for almost twenty years. Probably have two or three pickups full of stuff. Starting with five presses and three melting furnaces.

I also work every Sunday at a local gun store and see this almost every month at least once. The father dies, and the family has no use for, or any idea what he had and wants it gone. I have literally hundreds of pounds of loaded commercial and reloaded rounds that people drop off at the store for "disposal". It's entirely legal here to toss it in the trash. But I take what I can and dispose of it at the range. Especially the 22's! I've got several bricks of free 22's this way. And while I go slow, making us I see a hole in the paper I have yet to have any problems worse then new loaded Remington's.

The reloads I pull. The bad commercial rounds I pull as well. Gives me something to do, and the kids are almost old enough for the job as well....

Thankfull I'm only thirty six this year. I've told the wife I want a Viking funeral. Just burn me with all my stuff. The amassed gunpowder should make it pretty quick!

LUBEDUDE
10-07-2013, 04:45 PM
I've been telling my daughter "eBay,eBay,eBay!!". No Garage Sale!!

Hawkeye45
10-07-2013, 05:47 PM
Good for you to help them out.
I have been thinking about what I will have to do, unfortunately sooner than I would like. Not having any kids, and a brother who does not shoot makes me have to think about who. Hopefully I will have time to think.

Mr. Ed

beezapilot
10-08-2013, 04:57 AM
I've quite a pile of reloading stuff and the like- A friend of mine is considerably younger than I am and he does commendable work with Youth Shooting Leagues and Hunter Safety Classes - Should I assume room temperature all my reloading equipment and field guns will transfer to him and he has agreed to judiciously pass it to likely candidates from those evolutions.

Reverend Al
10-08-2013, 05:13 AM
When my best friend passed away a few years back I took pretty much all of his stuff to local gun shows to sell for his wife. He had a LOT of stuff ... but I know that I have way, WAY MORE than he ever had and it does get you to thinking doesn't it? While I was busy selling off all of my buddy's stuff at a gun show a friend and I joked to each other about how "I pity the poor bastard that has to do this with all of MY shooting stuff!"
My wife shoots with me, but she doesn't do any of the reloading chores. I have two grandsons (16 and 23) that have shown no interest what-so-ever in the shooting sports although I have "dragged" them out to the range a few times and they could ask to go with me any time they like ... but they don't ever call and ask. My step-daughter (40 ish) is starting to shoot with me lately and is getting quite interested in spending time up at our largest local gun club and in fact is now the Chair (Chair-person? Chair-woman?) for the club's Women's Shooting group that they've formed within the main club. That's very encouraging for me and maybe she'd be happy to have a bunch of this stuff when I'm finally beyond using it any more? I can only hope so as it would be nice to "keep it in the family" so to speak. Other than that I've often considered leaving a bunch of my stuff to the 3 local gun clubs that I'm involved with so that they can sell it all off to their members and raise some funding for club projects, improvements and repairs? Just a thought since I do have a MOUNTAIN of reloading equipment and supplies plus about 150 guns that should bring a few "shekels" to whoever ends up being the beneficiary of it all!

jethunter
10-08-2013, 05:33 AM
I'm hoping I get to use my gear for 20+ more years, but I have been thinking about my mortality lately.

I've got a half-baked plan.

My Great-Grandfather's rifle will go to whichever of my kids shows the most interest when the time comes. I think I know who will get it but it's not decided yet.

My kids / grandkids that are interested in shooting by that time will get starter packages.

The rest of it - guns and reloading gear - are going up for auction at Bud Haines Gun Auction if it's still running then. I'll donate the proceeds to the NFA which is the Canadian equivalent of your NRA. I'm not going to leave it for my widow or kids to deal with after I'm gone, and the NFA does some good stuff.

smokeywolf
10-08-2013, 06:02 AM
The NSA will be watching this thread with interest.

smokeywolf

ASM826
10-08-2013, 06:56 AM
I found this thread, http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?12392-Loading-bench-pics , currently at 73 pages. Pictures of benches and work areas. Lots of great rooms that I could easily feel at home in. Lots of work for someone when the time comes.

bobthenailer
10-08-2013, 07:39 AM
Im currently 65 and my health is good at this time , i also have alot of stuff that ive accumulated over actively shootin for years . overwhelming for almost anyone to sell besides myself ! hopefully i wont die suddenly and i will have time sell ? i have 2 daughters and there husbands are not intrested in any reloading let alone casting and one shoots some and the other hunts and shoots some who is the father of my eight year old grandson, with him time will tell if he has any intrest ? if so he will get a pile of stuff . he's allready willed about 10 select firearms from my stash, reguardless
I guess my only brother in law would help he shoots alot and handloads but he is 5 years older than me. perhaps some of my shooting buddies will come to the plate when my time comes.
I do sell stuff from time to time but seem to allways buy something else

William Yanda
10-08-2013, 08:20 AM
"Everything you own will eventually belong to someone else."
I know a guy who says everything you buy will eventually end up in the landfill.

groovy mike
10-08-2013, 08:49 AM
My reloading and shooting mentor just sold hios house and moved out of gun hating NY state. To give you an idea of what he had accumulated in the last 50 years there - he had ten thousand pounds of led ingots! I have helped him move and sell a good deal of "stuff" as he relocates to a smaller house in a more free state. It has made me take a hard look at my stuff and I have decided to put some up for sale. If I have no plans to use it in the near future, I should move it. For instance projectiles that I tried but my rifle doesn't like - why keep a partial box? We should all just swap this stuff to each other!

btroj
10-08-2013, 08:51 AM
I have enough

jmorris
10-08-2013, 08:52 AM
We moved around 3 years ago and we moved the "normal" contents of the house in one day. It then took me 6 months to move the rest of my "stuff".

I can't imagine what is running through your friends mind. If I did the same I think that might be what killed me. Sad for sure.

ASM826
10-08-2013, 09:54 AM
It took him a couple of years to work up the courage to do it, I think. And I know it was very hard. I have a pile o' stuff of my own, and one of the promises is that we will take some time together and start going to shoot my stuff.

It was his wife's issues that got him moving. I knew he was serious when he offered to sell it all to me if I would come haul it away. I had no place to put it all and the stuff I would have really had use for I already own. I did buy a few things, mostly components like primers, at the same price we sold them at, but I stopped myself from going all acquisition monkey over it.

double8
10-08-2013, 10:01 AM
My shelf life is about up.......getting rid of "stuff" the kids don't want.

Char-Gar
10-08-2013, 10:06 AM
I have allot of guns, handloading and assorted shooting gear from over 50 years in this madness. I am 71 and still going, but when I can no longer participate, I will have the mother of all sales and pass it on to folks who will appreciate it and use it.

double8
10-08-2013, 10:46 AM
I have allot of guns, handloading and assorted shooting gear from over 50 years in this madness. I am 71 and still going, but when I can no longer participate, I will have the mother of all sales and pass it on to folks who will appreciate it and use it.
I've been trying that sale stuff...doesn't work very well. Fair pricing doesn't work...

Char-Gar
10-08-2013, 11:00 AM
I've been trying that sale stuff...doesn't work very well. Fair pricing doesn't work...

Sorry, I didn't mean "sale" in terms of price, but "sale", in terms of lots of stuff that needs a new home. My stuff leaves my house on two basis, 1. Fair price or 2. gift. If I need and want the money, the price will be firm and fair. If I can do without the money it will be a gift. I am just hard wired that way.

codgerville@zianet.com
10-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Same here Char-Gar, I'm 75, have begun selling and giving away stuff I'll never use. Give to those just starting out, some of whom are having a hard time due to the economy. I am overloaded with primers, shotshell wads, casting equipment, bullet alloy, cases, etc. Quite a lot of powder too. Trimming everything down to just what I really need, which isn't much. Neither of my sons are interested in reloading, though one likes to shoot, so I think I'll sell off most of my guns to someone who will enjoy using them. Have decided to sell my lathe, milling machine, shaper and all the tooling, though I am sort of saddened to do so.

mold maker
10-08-2013, 01:26 PM
At 69, I moved into my parents home. It was as they left it after over 70 years of collecting. Thus I only had room to move part of my clothes at first. Now I have been moving my stuff, a load at a time, as I make room for it, for over 2 years. If I live another 20 years, I suspect I'll still be moving.
I've already had several yard sales (give aways) that only knocked a dent in the problem. I've taken truck loads to GoodWill and such, but thats a lot of work.
My reloading and casting stuff is still in 2 places, but it's only a block apart, so It's accessable when I need it.
Untill I starrted to move, I didn't realize there was anywhere near this much.
I have inlisted the help of a good friend and shooting buddy, to dispose of it at my demise. I don't think I've done him any favor. My only instruction is that nubies are to be helped with setups (at his discression) that will get them started.
It's sad that we spend a lifetime accumulating the things we enjoy, only to have to give them up, when we finally have time to use them.
One lifetime just isn't enough.

ASM826
10-08-2013, 01:45 PM
It's sad that we spend a lifetime accumulating the things we enjoy, only to have to give them up, when we finally have time to use them.
One lifetime just isn't enough.
Mold Maker,
That's the heart of what I was posting about. It was emotional for me and it wasn't my stuff with the attached memories. My day is coming soon enough and I am going to get to the range more and enjoy this while I can.

double8
10-08-2013, 03:23 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean "sale" in terms of price, but "sale", in terms of lots of stuff that needs a new home. My stuff leaves my house on two basis, 1. Fair price or 2. gift. If I need and want the money, the price will be firm and fair. If I can do without the money it will be a gift. I am just hard wired that way.

Ya! I've given away most reloading stuff to a young fella just starting out in the sport. I've spent time with him "showing him the ropes" as Pap used to say.
But my 1972 [first year of production] [98%] Ruger Single-Six Convertible will be on hold for "fair price".

s1120
10-08-2013, 04:04 PM
Well being "only" 48... but starting late to the game, I dont realy have a ton, but Ive given it thought all ready. My dad passed away 2 years ago, and I got his gun stuff. We have been slowly working on cleaning all his stuff out of the house as time allows. Not sure what I would do with it if Im getting to that time. the firearms were handed down to me from Dad, and I would hope I have someone in the famley to give them to at that time. Right now its a case of too young, not interested, or the type that would just sell it off.. If its getting sold off, I want the wife and kids to do it.

Harter66
10-08-2013, 06:28 PM
Its taken 20 or so yr to get to the level of stuff I have and room to have it all set up at 1 time. I traded away 1000# of lead last yr. I have about that left around and that much more shot. I basically live a minimalist life style I only have 1 set of dies w/o a cartridge, and just 1 mould w/o a gun. My kids already have the guns I bought for them and the grands.So in 20yr I'll have to think about how to divy up the family hierlooms . Who gets the ''dollar an a half chucker call'', 1917 dollar and 1921 half my Grandfather carried from April 1941 until he passed 12/17/94. his Case and Uncle Henry knives. What about my great grands and GG grands furniture items ? Yep I got some stuff to deal with too.

Green Frog
10-08-2013, 06:55 PM
I'm in my early 60s (OK, mid-60s) and my father and I have been going strong collecting guns and related stuff for over 35 years. As a bachelor, the thought of who to leave my guns to had crossed my mind, but at the range I mentioned to my then-20 year old niece that I intended for her to have the particular gun she was shooting when I died, she gratified me by saying, "Uncle Charlie, a lot of people will be fighting over your guns when you're gone!" She has since married a Marine who is a marksmanship instructor and her older sister is married to a guy who just built his first AR and is starting on a second, so I think my guns are good for at least one more generation.

Froggie

JWFilips
10-08-2013, 08:06 PM
Well at 60 years old I have accumulated a good deal of "****" as my wife calls it...but in reality It is not... since my hobbies have great adventures in to quality items. I started selling off 40 years of photography equipment which is now paying for my shooting & casting addiction ( very well I might add) ...so to me I'm just turning it around ( then putting it into the ground!). Then I have 20 years worth of living a life in the 18th Century: F&I and Rev War times ...Since that is a recent hobby left, I haven't touched that resource yet but that is worth a few thousands.... Since again only the best & authentic was allowed...however how much time do we all get? It isn't worth much to those not educated in the periods ...... A bad day for you and it is over and your stuff is worth nothing to those left to clean up things!!! Maybe it is best to get rid of it all fast for the best price & sink that into something that is universally valuable ( & no it is not lead & tin! ...again I now have much of that!) Maybe precious metals or something the ones left can understand! Gee mabe we call buy US savings bonds ...because we know how stable our Government is !!!:shock:

waco
10-08-2013, 09:11 PM
Sad thing to deal with. You sound like a good solid friend that any of us would love to have. I'm a young man of 39 and if I never bought another thing, I'd be set for sometime......

dragonrider
10-08-2013, 10:05 PM
Having recently turned 65 and feeling the ghost of mortality snooping around I have been giving the thought of what to do with my stuff. Not good thoughts because I shouldn't have to do it, I aim to live forever or die trying. I had a friend once he had been into shooting for about 5 years and then he died quite suddenly. He actually died at a shooting range on the line waiting for the timer to sound the start buzzer, It buzzed he fell to the ground dead. Massive heart attack. It was I who got him into shooting and he loved it, jumped right into it reloading included. He had purchased 2 Lee 1000's and a Dillon 650 and a gazuntaload of primers, bullets, whatever else he needed. A few weeks after the funeral his wife told be come and get all this stuff since you got him into the hobby and you can use it. I was really down about my friend being dead and it seemed wrong at first but with assurances from his wife I did indeed take everything he had and I still have most of it. Gotta tell ya I love that 650 and I can feel John whenever I use it, yea we talk, ........or I talk,............ him not so much. I also got an 1890 gallery rifle, and a single six, a 1911 in 38 super went to someone else. A GP-100, I already had one so I found someone who wanted one. His wife instructed me to find someone who wanted it and give it to him. It was not that easy. I looked for a fellow who would appreciate the gun, and he didn''t know that he was getting it free until the very end. I found a fellow in our club who wanted one but could not afford one at that time, he had a young family and that is where his money went. One day at the range he was there and I called him over and explained that I had a gift from a friend to him. I did not realize that he did not know that John had died and he became quite emotional but was happy to accept. I don't think I will let my stuff go in that manner, so I need to start thinking about it now and get something written down and witnessed. Good thread, thanks for starting it.

ASM826
10-08-2013, 11:10 PM
...so I need to start thinking about it now and get something written down and witnessed.
Dragonrider,

If it has that effect, and you make your own decisions and get a plan in place, then it is a great outcome of this thread. I feel similarly challenged to have my wishes known and well documented. I also intend, if something sudden doesn't happen, to be generous with my equipment and supplies, to try to teach some new people to cast, and to leave this place happy that I had this hobby and the friends that it brought into my life.

labradigger1
10-08-2013, 11:41 PM
Fellas, i am 40 years old and have bought it every chance i got, last week i bought a new ruger srh and no ammo available to shoot it. Had some brass, a kieth mold and thompson mold, primers and powder. Went to the garage last night and cast about 400 lino bullets and loaded this evening.
I get alot of satisfaction from reloading and knowing i can make ammo that is virtually impossible to obtain. I know what you are speaking of though, my wife and son shoot w/ me regular but show no interest in learning the hobby, so who to leave this wonderfuly fulfilling hobby to?
Now that i think about it, any of you guys want to adopt a little boy about 40? I will take care of your tools and cherish them till i'm done. Pm me and i will send you my address.

ReloaderFred
10-09-2013, 12:38 AM
I've got enough to stock a medium size gun shop. I'm 69 and still buying, too. He who dies with the most toys wins.......... And I've been collecting "toys" since I was 19!

Fred

Grendl
10-09-2013, 12:43 AM
I have more stuff than room, I can't park a car inside the garage for the varied and sundry reloading and casting "ecoutrement" and supplies. And at 62 I"m not done collecting"stuff". There is also a 1650sq ft shop that houses the machines that add to the hobby. Hobby is that the correct definition? I think that if I were to look at this from an outsider's point of view, it would look more like an addiction than a hobby.Been "collecting stuff" over forty years.
I looked at the wife the other day and asked if we really want to do this to the kids as we pass to our hopeful reward. The kids haven't shown any interest in reloading or casting, only shooting and the guns. I'm happy with that, and maybe they will take an interest at some point before I die. They are still in what I'd call their tween years (you know starting their adventure in life,daughter just recently married and the youngest away at college) so maybe they will come around. If not maybe mom could make a few bucks selling it off after I'm gone. Before I go getting all sad and teary eyed it's been a fun and I'm not likely to change my habits regarding buying and upgrading my equipment, hell, I'm still learning things and there is so much more to learn.
Rick

JakeBlanton
10-09-2013, 01:09 AM
When I finally dropped out of conventional society and became a permanent RVer, I had to reduce what I carry around with me for reloading. That, plus my other household items, was quite a change for me. I don't have any relatives or acquaintances that I like well enough that I would leave them my firearms, so I suspect that at some point, there will be a story on the evening news about a dead old guy found in an RV parked in a Wal-Mart parking lot with an "arsenal of weapons" stashed in the RV.

Right now, I'm still in the denial stage -- if I can't take it with me, I'm just not going...... I'll tell ya'll how that works out.

Don't want to die right yet -- there's a bunch of graves that I still need to piss on.

Pavogrande
10-09-2013, 02:39 AM
Like many others I am getting towards the end of the string --
Manufactured in 1933, worn, but still runs --
With a garage full of hobbies, I am slowly selling off the "unwanted" items -
Since that method is not moving too fast, I think I will have to start on
the "wanted" stuff --
Fortunately the 3 kids and 7 grandkids will take most of the gunstuff -
My texas grandaughter will likely be the most interested shooter and reloader --

carolinashooter
10-09-2013, 09:45 PM
I have not logged on here in quite a while but was told about this thread from the older gentleman the OP (ASM826), Mark as I know him, referred to in the initial post. I count both of these men as friends and trustworthy people. I was at the older gentleman's house today to pick up a few things he wanted me to sell that he recently "rediscovered". He and Mark obtained a table at the local gun show this past weekend right beside mine and really blew out the stuff. I am the one he has asked to liquidate his firearms. As Mark mentioned earlier, this process started about 1 year ago with a LOAD of ammo our friend asked me to sell for him. This went on GB and brought more than I think he expected it to. Because of his personal situation I think he finally decided to divest himself of everything gun related. It sure seems that way. I had advised him, as Mark had, not to sell the reloads and partial boxes. He has graciously allowed friends to pull from this large pile and shoot up his reloads and enjoy the process. While I bought over $500 of "stuff" at the show it still makes me feel guilty to take his handloads. To quote him "Lenn, someone is going to come and take what is left here. If there is something there you can use, take it." I pulled a few boxes of calibers I shoot as well as a couple for my son and step son. I am not concerned in the least about the quality of these hand loads. He is the most gracious and fair minded person you will ever meet. I hate he is at this point as I have spent many hours in the past at our local range with him and many other of my older friends. I have rambled long enough. The point is, we all need an "end game" plan. Do not leave your family burdened trying to liquidate something they have no idea of value for. The vultures are out there. I have seen it before and it makes me mad every time I see it or hear about it.

NHPaul
10-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Get the giant economy sized dumpster into the driveway put everything out for a yard sale one day only. Toss me in the dumpster along with anything that doesnt sell. PROBLEM SOLVED

ASM826
10-10-2013, 03:50 PM
Get the giant economy sized dumpster into the driveway put everything out for a yard sale one day only...
That works for me and the stuff I have. When we did my friend's stuff, my one rule was that once we took it out of the shed, it did not go back in.

NoZombies
10-10-2013, 04:02 PM
I'm in my 30's.

When we moved last year, we made 2 trips. The first with a 26' penske truck for my shop and equipment. The second in an 18' truck for our household goods (we had very little furniture).

remy3424
10-10-2013, 04:10 PM
Being a fairly late model, 1964 vintage, I realized I had waaay too much stuff. Got a table at the local gun show this past spring and sold over $1,000 of stuff....then quickly invested it back into a vamint rifle...I really have a problem! I will do the show again in the spring and likely "convert" the extra stuff into an easily sold firearm again. I have enought guns, reloading components, tools and presses for myself and my son (if he ever gets past video games). The casting stuff I figure will be the hardest stuff to find good homes for if I die unexpectedly, but Oh well, that is how it goes. I hope to someday or year to cast all winter long (Jan to March) and lay in several thousand each of ever boolit I have a mold for and think I ever might want to shoot. Then I could thin out the casting items anyway.

rondog
10-10-2013, 05:23 PM
Y'all may want to investigate setting up a trust of some kind to control the dispersal of your things, with pre-arranged instructions setup with the executor. I don't have one yet, but I need one. I also have tons o' stuff and guns, nobody to leave it to, and my wife would be clueless what to do with any of it.

I've also thought about getting my gun club involved somehow, as the membership would be a ready customer base for a sale of my gun stuff. I have no kids of my own, only two stepkids and a stepgrandson. My s/daughter would insist that EVERYTHING belongs to her, so she could pawn it for the first cash offer for drug money. My s/son would also be likely to pawn it all, but his wife would take the money from him. My s/grandson is only 16, remains to be seen what path he'll take in life, but at least he likes to go shooting with me.

Essentially, I'd rather see my stuff converted to cash for my wife to use. I've created Excel spreadsheets for all my guns that ID's them and has values and photos of them, so that'll help with dispersal. I also need to record my other collectables so there will just be one file that can be opened to ID what my things are and what they're worth. One Excel workbook can do it all, with a spreadsheet for everything, and you can easily paste digital photos in them as well.

If anybody would like a copy of my Master form, let me know. You just save it as a blank Master and create as many copies for all your guns as you need. Other copies can be altered for different items as you wish.

Forty Rod Ray
10-10-2013, 09:56 PM
"Tomorrow is promised to no man." Clint Eastwood

ASM826
10-11-2013, 06:31 AM
There's an old joke we have probably all heard, "I had a nightmare that I died and my wife sold all my guns for exactly what I told her I had paid for them."

MikeyPooh
10-11-2013, 09:45 PM
Wow, I tell ya what, this has been a fascinating thread to read. It ties together a number of things that have been running through my mind for the past year.

I am relatively new to the reloading and casting scene, but when I get into something, I jump in with both feet. A year ago at this time I was busy checking craigslist ten times a day so I could hop on any deal that turned up. It's such a rush to make that sweet score. Wheeling and dealing can get really addicting. And the stuff you accumulate sure can add up fast if you are determined. Heck, I quit doing all that months ago and I still have a box or two of stuff in the basement I need to sell off.

I think a lot of it is instilled in us by society, by multi-million dollar marketing budgets. Buy buy buy. More more more. It ends up carrying over into everything, and you just can't pass up a deal, even if you don't even need the thing.

I saw it first hand while I was a manager at a self storage facility. To the poster earlier in the thread who mentioned $30 a month units... I don't know where you've seen them for that price but at the place I used to work, the cheapest one was about $50 a month and that was for a 5x5. We had them up to about $300 a month for the large climate controlled spaces. The sad stories I could tell you from that place... you gotta be careful because it is REALLY easy for your stuff to end up owning you.

And before you say "ah, but my stuff - this reloading stuff, this casting stuff - it's GOOD stuff!" EVERYONE thinks that about their stuff! lol

And I see there are some RV'ers in this thread. Now, when I do something, I'm like a pendulum, when I swing, I swing all one way. And lately the idea of getting truly minimal has preoccupied a lot of my thoughts. There is something intoxicating about the notion of paring down to the bare essentials and going to live in an RV out in the woods somewhere.

It may be just a pipe dream for me, I don't know, and I am sure there would be other headaches, but doing something like that sounds like a nice remedy to the collectoritis we all suffer from to some extent.