PDA

View Full Version : Patch width-height, I am done experimenting

Kenny Wasserburger
10-07-2013, 12:24 PM
Thoughts and ideas on Patching bullets.
All comments below refer to target rifle shooting and are not what I do for My Hunting loads.

Patch width-height.

I have found that the most-best results On Paper, have been a shorter patch just to the ogive and about .120 to .200 over the base of the bullet and no tail give the best consistant results at longer ranges.

At Raton I had quite a good many remarks, from folks Mike Rix, Steve Baldwin, Jimbo and a good many others that on every shot I had very fine confetiti at the muzzle, and fine strips of paper were all we found in front of the muzzle. I wet patch plus use Rubbing alcohol to speed the drying of the patch on my hotplate, this seems to give the patch some nap too it and perhaps makes the paper more brittle???

On several tests we have found bullets will bump up to the top of the patch no mater where it is set the higher up the more the bullet will bump up, no mater what alloy used, of course we have only tested 1-16 and 1-20 these past few years. These results were on recoverd bullets that did not hit steel at the Mile target.

I still find that the harder alloys help prevent nose slump or setback if you will. I find enough reference by the old Dead guys of 1-11, 1-14 and 1-16 alloys (for target long range shooting) That I may even go to 1-14. Several references made too shallow rifling, thin paper will help with fouling issues.

Results at Phoenix, both in the cup and the Winternats Regional, and Raton this year, along with some record making scores fired at the Mile match for myself, personal results and where I ended up and 2 scope titles won, convince me I am on the right track, on the paper patch trail.

Fouling control is also major concern-issue that must be fully looked at to give fair and accurate evaluations of ones load and performance.

The small amount of vertical too even 1 mile, is that from great fouling control or is it from primer wads--- OR BOTH?

I also fully understand that a point comes: where one can only build on marksmenship skills and better doping of conditions, that is where more points can be picked up.

Things I won't be changing:

Wet patching-to bore

Distiled water

Patch to the Ogive no higher

Use a rubbing alcohol in my distiled water

8# paper and a bullet size that gives .001 over bore diameter of bullet after patch has dried.

A proper wad stack that fully protects the bullet's base.

A wipping regimen that leaves a near perfect barrel condition for shot to shot consistancy.

The 45-2-7/8ths cartridge

Annealing cases every time.

Primer Wads.

Frankly at this point, for me, I think that the only weak link, is the screwball behind the trigger, and our ability to dope-read conditions and make the proper corrections for such.

Kenny Wasserburger

The Lunger

country gent
10-07-2013, 12:50 PM
Reading over the above I have learned several things one I was starting to suspect and was going to try. I have been wondering about the Tails on the patch affecting accuracy also. Even though patches are shed almost at the muzzle i wonder if that small bump affects how the bullet is pushed down the bore. I am going to set my patch width so that I have a flat base when wrapped. The theroy being the bullet will sit much truer on the powder wad column naturally. SUnday I put 8 of 10 rounds into 2 1/4" with the last 2 opening it up to 3"-3 1/2" may have been me but the group of 8 was nice and round very consistent no fliers were called out either. I am patching to the ogive with 9lb onion paper from buffalo arms. Bullet is from a brooks adjustable mold ( basically a copy of the Baco swaged bullets form ) I lightly swage these thru a 442 push thru die to just polish them up. also makes the start of the ogive stand out to see easier. I also wet patch but with a mix of Lee sizing die wax 1 part to 3 parts water. Never thought about alchlol what grade percent of alchlol are you using there.
Another thing I have wondered about is using anyhydrous lanolin as a patch lube water proofer. Any thoughts.

Kenny Wasserburger
10-07-2013, 01:00 PM
Gent,

I have found that a small diameter bullet that requires that much paper thickness to give fliers at 800 yards on order of 1-2 per 10 shots that resulted in clean Misses. Thin paper fater bullet will give much better results, for target work, that is. I use nothing but distilled water and what ever rubbing alcohol wally mart sells. a patch lube-water proofer maybe a good deal for hunting loads, have never felt the need for it on my target rounds though I did experiment with Graphite on the patch a few years back saw no real improvement.

However: the thick paper with a grease cookie and small bullet works great too several hundred yards for Hunting.

Kenny W.

country gent
10-07-2013, 01:43 PM
The onion paper I have measures at .002 thk 2 wraps brings my 442 bullet to 449 for my 450 bore. Ive never tried graphite on the patches. I had considered molybdneum ( sp) as I have that on hand. I wet patch and use a patch with 45 degree parallel ends right now.

bigted
10-07-2013, 02:12 PM
Kenny ,,, thanks so much for such a detailed description. I enjoy your posts and this one is no different. just a couple questions about items mentioned above.

1- what mix solutions with the rub alcohol/distilled water please? this is interesting in that you mention the nap of the paper coming up ... gotta try this.
2- you mention that your boolit core is fat and that the final patched diameter is just .001 over bore measurement ... so does this mean that you do NOT begin the boolit into the rifling upon seating a cartridge when loading? in other words ... your boolits straight sides are fat enough that they will not be able to lodge in the rifling to stabilize them straight before firing? this may be an area I do wrong as well as the patching OVER the ogive.
3- on wiping your barrel ... you mention that your barrel is "perfect" on each shot ... does this mean that you wipe till there are no fouling left at all on each shot? in other words if I read this rite ... your barrel is shooting a cold bore shot each time you squeeze the trigger ... correct? again this may be an area I need improvement on to dredge a bit more accuracy outta my rifle.

thanks again for posting and seems like I learn new things with every posting. I very much want to develop my patching to the next step and folks like yourself sharing your tips are a great help.

Kenny Wasserburger
10-07-2013, 03:19 PM
Ted:

Bullet is a snug fit all the way in to the bore, takes some thumb pressure. About .400 of the bullet is in the case the rest up the tube.

And Ted thanks for the comments.

Wipping is 2-3 damp patches and then 2 dry for each shot depends on humidity and air temp if I go with 2 or the 3.

When patching I fill the dish around the sponge till its good and soaked, I add a couple of dribbles of rubbing alcohol in the water.

Kenny W

bigted
10-07-2013, 03:44 PM
thanks so much. ill endeavor these suggestions to improve my shooting accuracy with patched. this has been a bumpy road for me but seems like it is smoothing out a bit. fellers like yourself sharing wisdom and style of loads are a huge help.

thanks again.

Ted

bigted
10-07-2013, 04:59 PM
guess I have 1 mo question. I reuse the water for my patching ... as in ... when im done patching I pour the water back into the jug and use the same water from time to time. is this a mistake? I see that my water gets cloudy and when it gets too cloudy I throw it away and begin with fresh. have I somehow shot myself in the foot with this practice?

Kenny Wasserburger
10-07-2013, 05:16 PM
Ted I pitch mine use a very small amount to wet the sponge so a gal of distilled lasts a long time.

Kenny W.

bigted
10-07-2013, 06:53 PM
thanks again Kenny.