PDA

View Full Version : Kel-tec KSG??

Hogtamer
10-07-2013, 09:38 AM
Does anyone on this site actually own one of these weapons? I'd like to hear some first hand testimony if so please.

429421Cowboy
10-10-2013, 10:18 PM
Only guy I know that actually has one has never fired it and I can't convince him to bring it out someday... Seems kinda heavy and awkward, I'm sure that only gets worse when you stuff a pound of lead in the tubes. I am still waiting to actually try one before I comment on the sensibility of one!

psl sniper
10-15-2013, 02:49 PM
i handled one at a gun show. the compact size is nice. but i dont like the way the sights sit. ill stick to my saiga 12.

W.R.Buchanan
10-15-2013, 04:42 PM
They are one of the hardest guns to get ahold of there is. I have played with one at the SHOT show but I have no use for it so it won't be showing up at my place.

Randy

Lonegun1894
10-17-2013, 12:14 AM
Handled one at the last gunshow, and even if the price was no factor, I will be sticking with my Mossberg 500. I know a big part of that is just familiarity, but that KSG just didn't deem to fit me.

Ghost101
11-08-2013, 08:06 AM
I have the Kel-Tec KSG. Have had it for some time now but the ammo has been hard to find. First time out I could not get a box thru the thing. Problems with double feeds and jamming. Sent it back to the factory for a fix. Very good customer support with these guys. When it got back to me all problems were fixed. I like it for it's oddness. And for that reason alone will keep the thing, it's just kool. I did loan it to a LEO friend to take out for one of his range days, an he liked everything about it except for loading. I put a red dot sight on it and have only fired 7 1/2 shot thru it at those plastic targets that you thro out on the ground. So no patterns to report.
I do have the Lee 00 mold as well as the 7/8 and 1oz. slug molds that I would like to try out. I picked up a MEC 600 Jr. at a gun show cheap. Problem is I have never reloaded shotgun anything ever.
I have received a lot of help on this site for everything else, so I thought I'd pop my head in here for some advice as to a detailed loading for these molds. Please remember I don't know anything about shot shell reloading. LoL

Ghost101

PS: It doesn't seem to kick as much as my 870 for whatever reason. It maybe just the new kool factor.

Hogtamer
11-08-2013, 03:01 PM
Ghost, you'll find shotgun reloading a lot less expensive initially than cartridge loading. A Lee LoadAll can be had for around $50 new (link below). I started with one of these in the '70's and still use one occasionally. Hulls, powder, primers, wads and lead, a scale and you're ready to go. The mechanics are simple enough and their are many "recipes" to follow for your particular application. Lots of reliable help on this forum to help you along the way. Interesting about the KSG..was the feeding problem mechanical or was it unfamiliarity with the system that caused the problem?
http://www.precisionreloading.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PRE&Product_Code=LE90011&Category_Code=SGL_STAGE_12GA

CastingFool
11-08-2013, 03:17 PM
Ghost, as far as the mechanics involved in reloading shotshells, there is not much to it. I taught my then 4 yrd old daughter how to do it, just to appease the curiosity factor. Of course, I only allowed her to reload a few shells, with me present, but she did know what she was doing. I, too, have the MEC 600 jr.

Smoke4320
11-08-2013, 03:41 PM
The KSG is a cool looking gun .. when you actually hold one you find it heavy for its size.
The stock sight suck.. I cant get my head down far enough to even use them..
Shot from the hip or a red dot is all I can do..
for the new price I would buy a Mossberg or Rem 870 and cases of ammo or a whole lot of shotgun reloading equipment and supplies and be better off

Ghost101
11-08-2013, 05:31 PM
Hogtamer, it was mechanical problem, which I understand was a problem with the first released KSG's.
Smoke, mine had no sights on it from the factory, just a rail to add whatever you wanted. An yes it is hard to get your eye down that low.
The real nice thing about it is that going thru door ways or thru the brush, the length will never be a concern. There are two items to be concerned about with the KSG and they are the reloading aspect an the switch or lever to change from mag. to mag. All can be over come with a lot of practice. The reason I need to learn how to reload for shotguns. Practice, practice, practice, something that no one here enjoys at all, LOL...

Ghost101

Ghost101
11-08-2013, 07:01 PM
Kind of been thinking of adding some kind of holster to my backpack to carry this KSG. Think it would work as a great second or backup gun for the trips thru the backwoods. 13 rds. of 12ga, would be enough for most anything that would try to disrupt a great day. As for home work, it is next to my bed. Have a Rem 870 that I have never fired. Most likely won't be fired until I find a good deal on a longer barrel for it. It was a very good deal that I couldn't pass up.
Funny thing is the only shotgun that I've ever really used was a J.C.Higgins, bolt action, single shot, .410. Had it as a young kid an there weren't nuth'n that kid couldn't hit with that thing. (old man lol an polishing finger nails on shirt). My first gun an wish I still had it. Funny thing is I can still smell it as I talk about that little gem.

Ghost101