PDA

View Full Version : Is 650 Degrees Not Hot Enough for 20:1?

Silver Jack Hammer
10-07-2013, 09:17 AM
My new casting pot has suddenly taken a drop in the maximum heat I can get my alloy up to. It heated right up to 750 degrees for the first few times I used it, now it takes a long time and tops out at 650 degrees. This would not be a concern if I was casting cowboy boolits out of wheelweights but I'm casting 20:1 for my new Sharps and I don't want to make any mistakes in the construction of the projectiles.

Its a Lyman Mag 20 dipper pot I purchased new.

Smoke4320
10-07-2013, 09:39 AM
send it back .. you will need that extra heat at times and you do not want that to happen when the warranty runs out

GabbyM
10-07-2013, 12:20 PM
Don't have a Lyman pot. However most of the temp controls have an adjustment.
Perhaps you can find some instructions. All I know is I adjusted my Magma pot once.
Just took was a little screw driver.

Defcon-One
10-07-2013, 01:42 PM
Sounds like the thermostat might have failed after running a while. If you are sure that it is the pot and there are no adjustments, I would send it back for repair or replacement!

Nothing worse than a pot that won't get the temp up where it needs to be.

Silver Jack Hammer
10-07-2013, 03:48 PM
It has a thermostat, I have it cranked up all way past 10.

lwknight
10-07-2013, 07:27 PM
650 is plenty hot but not right to be limited.
Ditch the thermostat and get a PID controller.
Auberinstruments.com has good prices.

detox
10-07-2013, 07:45 PM
If you cast really fast 650 may be hot enough. Some moulds like hotter and some moulds like cooler 650.

Try a different electrical outlet. May be weak connection there.

R.M.
10-07-2013, 08:51 PM
Is there not an adjustment set-screw under the knob. Not having one myself, but it seems to me that I read it here a while ago. Could just be old age too.

williamwaco
10-07-2013, 08:58 PM
I can cast at 650 but I have to cast really FAST to get good bullets.
I use a bottom pour. I doubt seriously that I could make it work with a ladle.

detox
10-07-2013, 09:06 PM
I can cast at 650 but I have to cast really FAST to get good bullets.
I use a bottom pour. I doubt seriously that I could make it work with a ladle.

True. I can work faster with bottom pour (RCBS Pro Melt) and flux less often, but that is another subject.

bangerjim
10-07-2013, 09:08 PM
Try a different electrical outlet. May be weak connection there.

You unit only draws 800W which is nothing for today's modern household loads. But......but stranger things have happened! Use a multimeter to check the line voltage at the outlet when the pot is on. Just stick the probes in the other outlet holes, making sure your meter is set on AC VOLTS!

I had an outlet in our house drop a return (white) line after exhibiting intermittent voltages for a few days. It was a loose connection that got some rain water in it from a small leak and corroded the connection.

Also.....are using an extension cord? Check it!

If voltage stays at 117-120 when pot is on, you probably have a product problem.

bangerjim