PDA

View Full Version : Blackpowder Pistols

qwiksting
10-07-2013, 06:38 AM
Hi to everyone. I have been on CB for awhile casting boolits for metallic cartridges and Shotgun. I really enjoy the shotgun casting..buck and ball. I guess I just enjoy melting lead!! I have always been curious about BP Pistols and rifles. Can anyone give me the skinny on BP pistols? Like what is a decent make? Ruger, traditions,pieta cvs...ect ect.... I am wanting to get into BP and have been reading you guys post trying to get a feel of how its done. I guess I prefer BP pistols, 6 shooter, .44 cal. The smallest mold I have for RB is "00" Buck, then .600 RB. Like I said most of my casting has been for shotgun and metallic cartridges. Any info or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!!

Junior1942
10-07-2013, 07:02 AM
The Ruger Old Army is the best BP pistol ever made, IMHO. My Lyman Plains Pistol, single shot, is a good one, too.

Rule #1: use pure lead for casting for BP.

KenBeckett39
10-07-2013, 07:43 AM
I just got a .50 Flintlock Traditions trapper pistol, From Old South Firearms, good price & they shipped fast, at the price I paid I really thought I was buying a Kit, came fully assembled & ready to shoot (minus the flint) (Now what to do with the Blue & stain kit that is coming??(should have read better, Oh well maybe I'll have to shop for another)
I have had a TC Hawkins for over 30 years (a kit I bought from WT Grants)
I have a off brand 12 bang mold that never cast a decent ball (too big and or wings) waiting for a Lee 2 banger to arrive, I have a TC Maxi ball mold that has always worked well (I just don't like maxi balls so much)
I am impressed with the accuracy of the pistol @ 25 yds. 2" groups (shooting about 1 1/2 - 2" low want to try 50 Yds. before I make any adjustment)
the Hawkins not so much till recently??
historically the 1st. shot was always 5-6" high, then it would shoot 3-4" group @ 50yds. & 4-6" groups @ 100 Ygs.
just recently took the Hawkins to the range every shot was good (3" group @ 50 Yds.) not sure ?? 1st. shot was always high??
It has been a long time since I shot it last (Now I have a renewed interest!!)
Think I will have to Measure the barrel ( any ideas for slugging Flintlock??, I know a large grease fitting fits the frizzen hole, maybe push in a slug & push it out with grease??)
I will be watching this thread with Interest, hoping to be casting some .490 rounds tonight (Hope I have enough pure lead left)
Ken

qwiksting
10-07-2013, 09:49 AM
I have plenty of pure lead...very soft. I ususally mix antimony and tin to cast for boolits, but for BP I understand about it being pure. No problem. Just looking for some advice on a good pistol in the .44 cal range. Also a good BP and need advice in ignition source. It looks to me like shotgun primes look alot like BP primers..I dont know enough to make a good call on that. Thanks for the advice.

rodwha
10-07-2013, 10:00 AM
I have a Ruger and you couldn't make an offer. It's great! I read how repros often need to be cleaned up a little during a lengthy shoot as the soot can bind it up. Not mine. It just goes and goes and goes.

I've read a lot between the Uberti and Pietta models, and both seem to be quite good with a typical slight advantage given the Uberti, though I've read a few complaints. I'd likely buy an Uberti though as I'm thinking my next gun ought to be a Remington 1858.

My Ruger seems to do well with everything I've fed it (.457" RB's, 180, 190, 200, and 240 grn bullets, as well as poor fitting 200 and 230 grn bullets loaded backwards like a WC). It's typical to read the repros just do much better with RB's.

If you can find a Ruger at a reasonable price I'd buy it. But make sure you always tighten the cylinder retaining screw. If not you'll bend the cylinder pin, and parts are not available. I was lucky in that I was able to bend mine back well enough.

I'd pass on the brass framed pistols. They cannot take the abuse of moderate to heavy loads. It's generally said not to load beyond 28 grns, though they hold 40-45. It's slams the cylinder into the recoil shield and eventually stretches the frame until the gap is too large. There are many who load the lighter target loads and have had it working and looking like new for their lifetime though. And 18-28 grns seems to tend to be the accurate sweet spot mentioned. I like a little recoil and boom, and want to be able to hunt with it, and that requires energetic powder and lots of it.

Baja_Traveler
10-07-2013, 10:01 AM
Shotgun primers don't look anything like BP Caps...

The Ruger Old Army is the best cap & ball revolver ever made hands down, but alot of the Italian clones are very nice indeed...

rodwha
10-07-2013, 10:04 AM
The percussion pistols need #10 or #11 caps. And most recommend replacing the stock ones with better ones (typically TRESO). I believe it's #10's that will work fairly well on the factory nipples. Track of The Wolf sells their own nipples slightly cheaper, which are what's on my Ruger. Very happy with them, and the savings paid for the shipping and some. Not to mention they are designed with the exterior of the Ruger nipples which uses a different nipple wrench.

Hanshi
10-07-2013, 01:15 PM
Though I've owned a couple of c&b wheel guns this is the only "pistol" I've ever owned. It's a .50 and capable of considerable power; accurate, too. This pistol (I do have a holster for it) is a bit large for normal packing but sure is effective. It's a TVM.

http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt74/hanshi_photo/PICT0369-1_zps544bf87a.jpg (http://s599.photobucket.com/user/hanshi_photo/media/PICT0369-1_zps544bf87a.jpg.html)

KenBeckett39
10-08-2013, 08:37 AM
I would like to see a picture of the holster.
Would like one for mine to carry it with the hawkens during flintlock season
Ken

Junior1942
10-08-2013, 09:13 AM
I would like to see a picture of the holster.
Would like one for mine to carry it with the hawkens during flintlock season
KenMy Plains Pistol has a belt hook on its left side. However, I carry it with the belt hook hooked in my right pants pocket. That puts it perfectly aligned with my right hand. The Plains Pistol is made in flintlock as well as caplock, I believe.

rodwha
10-08-2013, 10:36 AM
How secure is the belt hook?

Junior1942
10-08-2013, 11:18 AM
How secure is the belt hook?Very secure. The pistol is barrel-heavy so it remains firmly hooked to my pocket. I guess if I jumped up and down it might bounce free. If you're talking about the hook itself it isn't coming off the pistol without help from a screwdriver.

Hanshi
10-08-2013, 12:40 PM
http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt74/hanshi_photo/PICT0649-1.jpg (http://s599.photobucket.com/user/hanshi_photo/media/PICT0649-1.jpg.html)
This is a very nice holster that can be worn on a belt, made into a shoulder rig or, as in the pic, attached to a backpack. It's a Leatherman brand.

Junior1942
10-08-2013, 01:35 PM
It's a Leatherman brand.Got a link? Google won't find it. Found it! Ordered one with belt!

Katya Mullethov
10-08-2013, 04:27 PM
Buy a brace of stainless steel Ruger Old Army 1858's and be done with it . Sure wish they'd have a made few thousand of the revolving carbines as well .

John Allen
10-08-2013, 04:28 PM
http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt74/hanshi_photo/PICT0649-1.jpg (http://s599.photobucket.com/user/hanshi_photo/media/PICT0649-1.jpg.html)
This is a very nice holster that can be worn on a belt, made into a shoulder rig or, as in the pic, attached to a backpack. It's a Leatherman brand.

This is slick.

John Allen
10-08-2013, 04:33 PM
Got a link? Google won't find it. Found it! Ordered one with belt!

junior, I just did a google search. Do not click on the second link it is an adult toy website!!!

I think this is the correct page http://www.accu-riser.com/

rodwha
10-09-2013, 11:38 AM
Hanshi: That is an amazing piece of wood on that pistol! And a great idea hooking a holster to a backpack. I've wondered what I'd do were I to take my pistol on a backpacking trip. I'll be ordering a holster that has an adaptor to allow it to ride lower, almost TV cowboy style. But attaching it to the backpack would help to reduce some of the weight I'd have to carry for a month!

Hanshi
10-09-2013, 03:29 PM
Hanshi: That is an amazing piece of wood on that pistol! And a great idea hooking a holster to a backpack. I've wondered what I'd do were I to take my pistol on a backpacking trip. I'll be ordering a holster that has an adaptor to allow it to ride lower, almost TV cowboy style. But attaching it to the backpack would help to reduce some of the weight I'd have to carry for a month!

The back pack carry idea was something I picked up long ago for large sixguns and small (Win M94 Trapper size) rifles. It would work even better if you use a pack frame.

rodwha
10-09-2013, 04:44 PM
I now use an interior frame backpack of 75 liters. I like spacious packs, especially with a month long trail hike in mind.

ogre
10-09-2013, 05:50 PM
If you are looking to buy a cap and ball revolver then, as several others have said, you should consider buying a Ruger Old Army. Uberti and Pietta now days make fine, comparable revolvers. If you wish to purchase a Pietta made revolver then buy one that was proofed 2001 or later as the fit, finish, and quality control of their products greatly improved about then.

True.grit
10-18-2013, 04:25 PM
How do you know when it was proofed.

ogre
10-19-2013, 03:39 PM
How do you know when it was proofed.

I look at the date code that is required to stamped into the pistol. http://www.shotguns.se/html/italy.html