PDA

View Full Version : Lyman mold

jules
10-07-2013, 05:39 AM
I picked up a Lyman 2 cavity from a member here not long ago and just noticed that when I hold it up to the light while fully closed I can see a gap between them. The others I have aren't like this. What can be done to correct this?
Thanks

500MAG
10-07-2013, 05:53 AM
I would clean it real good and make sure there is no lead in the alignment holes. I have had a tiny, unnoticeable layer of lead cause that to happen.

fryboy
10-07-2013, 06:01 AM
a speck of lead/debris on either mold half , one or both the pins may be too far out or may have developed a burr around the hole - for the former a lil tap with a brass hammer usually sets it in a wee bit for the latter a judicious filing/stoning to bring the face smooth again or as 500 stated the hole may not be clear , lubing these really helps save wear and tear on them ! worst possible case would be a warped mold ( rare but can happen ) and last but not least it could of been dinged on any parting edge and the burr holds it barely open

Ben
10-07-2013, 08:16 AM
I'd cast with it 1st.

Check the diameter of the bullets cast. If normal, I'd ignore it.
Might be a friend to you as it will aid in venting.

Ben

Sensai
10-07-2013, 08:37 AM
I just picked up a few molds on Ebay and was going over them this past weekend. One of them was in the same condition after a thorough cleaning. I found that there was a small burr on the edge of one of the alignment pin holes that was keeping the pin from going all the way in. It wasn't lead, it was actually a burr caused by something dinging the edge of the hole. I carefully matched the hole diameter with a drill bit and removed the burr by hand turning the bit after inserting from the non-mating side of the hole. A little polishing and the mold was mating perfectly. Just something to check. Best wishes, Gary

jules
10-07-2013, 05:53 PM
Thanks all I got it. Took the mold off the handle and they fit together just fine. I am using a Lee handle and all I did was flip the molds over and problem solved. No more light through the closed mold.