PDA

View Full Version : 20lb. pot and Lee's 6 banger = Lotza Boolits!!

mtgrs737
11-02-2007, 12:19 AM
Today I finally got around to setting up my new to me RCBS 20 lb. bottom pour melter and charging it up with alloy. I cast a few 30cal. rifle boolits then I got to looking at the new Lee 45 cal. 200 gr. SWC six holer that I got a while back when it was too hot to give it a try. So I cleaned the six banger, smoked the cavities and preheated the mould on top of the pot for a few minutes. The first few casts were not up to scratch, and I could tell that I was going to have to refine my technique (I was a Ladle guy). So I adjusted the flow control and started holding the valve open and pushing the mould away from me to fill one after the other until done.

In a little of no time I had a pile of boolits! The Lee mould did a great job of filling out with most all pours having no decernable rejects. The only thing I needed to do was cool the mould down every once in a while. I was supprised to see a brand new mould break in so quickly, I don't know how many I cast but it is a bunch! The combination of the large bottom pour pot and the six cavity mould means lots of boolets to size.

The alloy I am using is 80% Wheel Weight lead with 20% Linotype at 750 degrees, the cabine tree hardness tester puts it at 12-13 BHN. I will be using Lars BAC in the large single lube groove. I also used Bull Plate on the spue plate and all pins and pivots, the cavities like to hang on to the boolits sometimes but a couple of raps on the handle pivot shakes them out. I expect the cavity sticking will subside once the mould breaks in better.

I would like to thank all the guys on this forum for posting helpful hints and product test experiances, I have learned a lot here!!

Buckshot
11-02-2007, 07:30 AM
...............That's the name of the game with the Lee 6 cavity moulds, production!

.................Buckshot