PDA

View Full Version : Project Thutty-Thutty Redeux

TXGunNut
10-06-2013, 10:07 PM
As I posted a few weeks ago I finally found another 336 Marlin in 30-30 and she looks like a keeper. She's a 336W born in 2008, birchwood stock is a little plain but it fits OK and the action is tight...feels like a new gun. :-) I'm decided to see if my old presbyopic eyes w/ progressive lenses can use Marble's ghost ring rear sight, receiver isn't d&t'd for a receiver sight or tang sight so it's this sight or mebbe an insert from One Ragged Hole for "irons".
Ghost ring takes a little getting used to, tried a 6 o'clock hold but my eyes couldn't decide whether to center the front sight or the round target in the ghost ring so I went back to a center hold.
Load was 16 grs 2400 under a RD 311-165 GC in some range pickup, (trimmed to min.) brass, a RP 9 1/2 primer got the party started. Alloy was ACWW, velocity a bit over 1750 fps. Groups were shrinking to about 1.75-2.0 @ 50 when I finally started to get the hang of this sight....I think I see a red dot sight in this rifle's future. I'm looking for a light, quick-handling rifle to put in the truck or mule for bouncing around the lease doing chores or walking around. I'll work with it a bit more, think a little practice will help get some groups I don't mind posting. ;-)

Piedmont
10-06-2013, 11:26 PM
I'm not familiar with the Marbles you mention but believe your rifle is still compatible with a receiver sight. Yours doesn't have the side mounting holes but there are other receiver aperture sights that use the top holes that a scope mount uses.

TXGunNut
10-06-2013, 11:30 PM
I stand corrected, Piedmont. I recall seeing a Lyman or Williams sight that mounts on the rear base screw holes.

taco650
10-07-2013, 10:40 AM
I stand corrected, Piedmont. I recall seeing a Lyman or Williams sight that mounts on the rear base screw holes.

The red dot sounds like a good resolution to eye focusing issues. I haven't tried to shoot any rifle with irons since I got my progressive lenses. The only thing I hate about my 50 year old body is my eyes: can't see far away or close up!

TXGunNut
10-07-2013, 09:22 PM
I refused to put a red dot sight on my patrol rifle years ago. Shot just fine without it but that was then, this is now. Finding the right part of the lens to bring that front sight into focus is a bit of a challenge these days. I could probably live with a low-powered compact scope or red dot on my new Marlin, can't bear to do it to my 94's.

taco650
10-07-2013, 09:33 PM
I wouldn't do it to a M94 either for a couple reasons: 1) looks, 2) cost. Much more $$$ to scope a M94. IIRC, Marlins come drilled & tapped don't they? I also think an optic on a Marlin looks funny but since hitting the target is REALLY important and your eyes need the help, do it.

TXGunNut
10-07-2013, 11:05 PM
To be quite honest all my "serious" hunting rifles have scopes. Some even shoot j-words. It's just that an iron-sighted hunting-type rifle hurling well-formed chunks of repurposed scrap lead is much more satisfying, even more satisfying if I take it hunting and cull a fat, young deer or anchor a hog or two. Main purpose of this project is to have a cheap, simple, FUN gun. I'm hoping to avoid optics, we'll see. I'm thinking my old eyes might just be able to figure out that ghost ring thing.

taco650
10-08-2013, 06:05 AM
Practical fun is always the best. My favorite rifle is my SMLE that has a beat up stock and mis-matched parts. Shoot really good but the iron sights are hard to keep clear. Might follow your lead toward a low powered optic or red dot.

TXGunNut
10-13-2013, 01:17 PM
I did a little better with that Marble sight yesterday. I looked at some reflex sights and toyed with the idea of a compact scope at Cabelas yesterday but they were packed w/ TX/OU fans and I lost interest in the idea. Had no problem maintaining 3 in groups @ 50 and was doing better but things started going south...for me, not the rifle. It really likes these 16 gr 2400 loads under the ACWW RD 311-165 boolits. I'm thinking with a little practice and maybe a little tweaking I'll be able to get my groups a little tighter but I think I'll call it good, load up 50 or 100 rds and get back to my 35 Whelen project.:bigsmyl2:

FergusonTO35
10-14-2013, 05:23 PM
Friend, I would advise the Williams 5D-336 for your rifle. It mounts to the rear scope mount holes and fits the 336 perfectly, even better than the 5D-94/36 side mount did. You should be able to use your existing front sight also. I have one on my 70's 336 Texan and love it.

TXGunNut
10-14-2013, 10:28 PM
I've been looking at that one, can't recall seeing one in person or know anyone who's used one. Thanks!