PDA

View Full Version : What do you get if you cross Shepard's pie with Chicken pot pie?

Artful
10-06-2013, 09:45 PM
Good Eats.

I'll have to refine the recipe but here's the ground floor version

In a large oven proof pot
put in 6 tbp butter and heat
put in half a large onion diced
add 6 tbp flour (Used unbleached)
cook until roux and onions take on some color
add two cloves of mashed/smash/minced garlic
slowly add one can of chicken stock stirring this whole time.
I had a deli chicken that I had robbed the breast from for
my chicken tortilla cassarole so I took remaining meat off the bones
and put in the pot, added 5-6 cups of frozen diced mixed veggies
put in half a pint of cream and simmered and stirred periodically
Add spices to taste
- today used Pizza seasoning, dill, Adobe and a touch more garlic powder

Start your over to preheat to 350 F

While this is simmering I took 5 large potatoes and took off the skin
and put them in the microwave but didn't quite cook all the way through
just enough to get a knife to go thru with little resistance.
then mashed 'em with salt, splash of milk and sour cream (to taste - about 8-10 tbp)
now gently layer the mashed potatoes on top of the pie filling
You want a fairly deep layer and sprinkle with a little cheese and
pop into the oven for 30-45 min or so. Wait 10-15 then dig in.

jaysouth
10-07-2013, 07:58 PM
Sounds good to me. Try slicing your potatoes real thin and arranging on top of the stew. Cook in a hot oven until the potatoes are cooked and take on a rich brown crust. I had this in a family neighborhood restaurant near my daughter's house in Belgium one time, can't remember what they called it. These folks served them in individual ramekins with crusty bread made on premises.

There is a pub near my house in Nashville that makes sheperd's pie with a puff pastry crust instead of mashed potatoes. I am all in favor of folks doing new things in the kitchen, but this is not a good combination. I am a traditionalist when it comes to pub (comfort) food. However your recipe sounds good.

gwpercle
11-06-2013, 05:11 PM
Lets call it "CHEPARDS PIE"
I like any recipe that starts out " first you make a roux ". Sounds good, refine that puppy...like they say " the devil's in the details.

Gary

gbrown
11-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Far as I'm concerned, you could call it anything you want, just sounds yummy to me!:D:D:D I like the idea of the thin sliced potatoes on the top. More of a crust like a chicken pot pie, but who doesn't like good mashed potatoes? We buy boneless/skinless chicken tenders and breasts and oven barbecue them with a side of mashed potatoes--don't last long. My middle grandson loves mashed potatoes w/o gravy. Had some tonight.

Dale in Louisiana
11-06-2013, 09:30 PM
And here I was, wondering if I could substitute that noisy little yorkie up the street. I live with my son and I don't think we could eat a whole shepherd.

dale in Louisiana

Artful
11-07-2013, 03:11 PM
And here I was, wondering if I could substitute that noisy little yorkie up the street. I live with my son and I don't think we could eat a whole shepherd.

dale in Louisiana

http://www.teacupyorkiedogs.com/wp-content/uploads/bella-yorkshire-terrier-dog.jpg
Looks like you'd need a couple of 'em

I'm sure you could try a whole shepherd

http://www.demotivationalposters.org/image/demotivational-poster/0904/little-bo-peep-life-time-woman-favourite-fantasy-sexy-costum-demotivational-poster-1240162814.jpg

Dale in Louisiana
11-08-2013, 10:15 AM
Awwwww!

dale in Louisiana

gwpercle
11-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Not if the shephard was Little Bo Peep there, she can herd me where ever she wants.