PDA

View Full Version : Keepers and Loosers

jh45gun
08-22-2005, 11:50 PM
Well I have had it with my 8mm turk it did not shoot that well before and I figured maybe the sights since my eyes are getting older so I had a peep sight installed on it and a globe front figureing that this would be a good cast shooter. It did not shoot Milsurp that great either but I figured the cast would shoot good in it. Well it was dismal at 50 yards and really bad at 100. I know some of you may say you got to keep trying until it shoots but I am done putting money in this gun when I have a K31 that shows promise when I get a good load for it and my Swedish mauser is a keeper to it shoots excellent. The K31 shot good at 50 a inch group but fell apart at 100 so I need to work on the load for that. Load was 17 grains of 2400 with a Ideal 311407 bullet. So the K31 and the Swede stays the 8mm and two mediocre Mosins all went to the gun shop today on consignment. With the 8mm it could be the bullet it is a lee but to gas check it the sizer is 323 so it may be on the loose side. but the groups with the milsurp I shot before with this gun and the cast loads I loaded for it were pretty much the same. about 2.5 to 3 at 50 and all over at 100. The Mosins shot ok but I feel like why bother when the Swede shoots so well as does the K31 when I get the right load for it as it shot great at 50. Both of these guns are scout scoped. So I am keeping the two accurate milsurps plus a old spanish mauser that has a bolt kit and a scope on it and the rest are going down the road. I am not renewing my C&R license either. I figure with my other guns I have plenty to keep me shooting and reloading.

jh45gun
08-23-2005, 10:34 PM
I also have to note that this 8mm had a excellent bore and it headspaced perfect. I may be giving up on it early but as stated I have more than enough to reload for already and on a limited budget it gets hard to load for even a couple of guns and I still have 5 to load for so I have enough to keep me busy. I figured I may as well put powder and primers and bullets into guns that I know will shoot than them that show me mediocre results. Jim

Buckshot
08-24-2005, 03:33 AM
..............If you'd like, before you send the ole Turk down the road, I could send you some of my heavy 8's. They weight about 240grs and I can lube-sizem to .325" if you want.

................Buckshot

jh45gun
08-24-2005, 03:50 AM
Thanks for the offer Buckshot but it is already at the gun shop. :) If it does not sell and I get it back I may take you up on it then. The gunshop guys might think I have it priced a bit high at 150 bucks but I have 50 in the gun 75 in the peep sight and I put a globe front sight on it so who ever gets it can change the front sight around with inserts to their liking. For that 150 they also get Lee Pacesetter dies and the Lee Mould so I figure I am not being that unfair on the price. I am selling it for basically what I have into it with the dies and mould added for free as I also had 19 bucks of gas checks with a 150 taken out in the deal with some lubed and gas checked bullets. THe only thing I did not include was the .323 sizer as I figured down the line some one may be looking for one and I could maybe do some trading. Jim

Buckshot
08-25-2005, 03:17 AM
.............These days $150 isn't out of line for a Turk M38 and especially if they can see a shiney barrel.

.............Buckshot

jh45gun
08-25-2005, 07:48 PM
My Keepers after 6 years of a C&R license. To be honest out of the 3 only the K31 I used my license for the mausers I bought outright.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/jh45gun/KeepersCropped.jpg

From Left to Right:

Left is a Spanish 93 Mauser in 7mm. First gun I ever messed with. it first started out as a barreled action that was real cheap with no bolt. Barrel was shot so I got a Used barrel and bolt from Springfield Sporters before they went out of Business. ( THey are back now) Rebarreled it and put redid the stock what was left of it. Then finally I put the scope on after a peep sight that was not drilled as good at it should have been a buddy and I tried to mount the peep sight and he did not get the holes lined up perfect. So I figured what the heck and drilled the front for a scope block and then adapted on for the back where the peep sight had set. I will state now if you do not have a scope mounting jig take it to the gun smith. drilling holes with out one is like playing russian roulette. Needless to say the scope is straight with some inventive shimming and adjusting but I would never try this again unless I had a jig and since I do not plan on any more rifles I guess I do not have to worry about it. Soo this is a keeper as it is a bubba but I like it for the first gun I messed with and to be honest I saved a gun from the junk heap as that is where it could have ended up or for parts. Scope is a old Weaver 2.5 K with the post. The older scope to me just kinda fits this old warrior. Bolt Kit is one of those 15 dollar specials( Advanced Techologies) you see and I have to admit they do work even though they are not that pretty. Since they are made to go with their companion stock I had to get the highest scope rings I could find to make the scope high enough for the bolt to clear so if anyone hear decides to get one and do what I did here remember standard scope rings are not high enough.

Two is my K31 with Darrel's Scout mount and a old Bushnell Phantom on it for now until I find a newer pistol scope. It is a keeper just because of its accuracy though I got to come up with a better reload and becuase it has to be one of the neatest rifles invented. I like it.

Third is My Swede Mauser. This has to be the Cadilac of Military Mausers Yea the Mauser 98's are a newer gun and stronger but they do not rivel the blueing and fit and finish of a Swede 96 or do they rival the accuracy in the Military configuration that the Swede has. THe scout mount is my own my take on a Ashley scout mount which was a tube ( Sleeve) either epoxied or soldered to the barrel. Scope is a Tasco Pistol Scope with a illuminated Crosshairs.

So these are my keepers and after having my license for 6 years. With my others guns I am satisfied. A centerfire pistol if WI ever passes CC may be a possibility but I will cross that bridge when I come to it and that pistol would probably not be C&R anyway.

brimic
08-25-2005, 08:44 PM
I haven't had an 8mm mauser yet that I haven't been able to make shoot respectably, though I favor 98s made by the Czechs. I have a 98/22 and a 98/29 that I can't wait to try cast bullets in, they both shoot condom bullets far better than my wildest expectations when I bought them.

K-31s, I now have 4 of. I'm a sucker for them as they are cheap and are incredibly well made. I have one that I bought a few months back that was $59 delivered from AIM. I love taking that one to the range.

The 96 swedes are still my favorite. I shoot one at a local club monthly in a 'military' rifle class. I don't do as well as the guys shooting AR-15s in the Service rifle class, but that has more to do witht he shooter than the rifle.

Here's a picture of my favorite rifle, a 1899 Obie 96

http://thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=13639

jh45gun
08-26-2005, 12:29 AM
Very nice looking Swede yea I wish I would have never gotten a brain fart and cut mine. I got it cheap and figured what the heck I can buy a other. Not at todays prices. Still mine will make a good hunting gun and I plan to use it as such this fall. That is if the K31 does not nudge it out of the way. :):):)