PDA

View Full Version : Fewer and fewer cast bullet threads

Char-Gar
10-06-2013, 04:51 PM
I think this board is becoming like facebook. There are fewer and fewer cast bullet threads as time goes by and more and more just general stuff. I just now scrolled down the first page of new posts and less than half were cast bullet related. I fear it has passed the point of no return.

jmort
10-06-2013, 04:58 PM
80% of the threads/new posts I just looked at were cast bullet related. Not necessarily cast boolit forum, but cast boolit related. Not sure how you get "there." I think the site is as good as ever in my experience. You go way back so you have way more perspective.

jmort
10-06-2013, 05:03 PM
Just looked/counted again, out of 25 new posts/threads 6 were not related. So at that rate, it is 76% related and 24% unrelated.

felix
10-06-2013, 05:09 PM
Yeah, true, Charles, when they(we) called you Charger in lieu of CharGar. The board was almost 100 percent free of ads and folks selling stuff. Sooner or later, it seems, everything turns commercial which encourages a different clientèle. We were almost purely technical back then. ... felix

Eljay
10-06-2013, 05:32 PM
It's normal. When a forum first starts up everything's new. Once they get mature there's a lot more "read the sticky" or "do a search". At some point there's only so much more you can say on any given topic, but you have this community of like minded people, so they get chatty.

62chevy
10-06-2013, 05:34 PM
Still a ton of good info on this site. As I've learned over the last 60 years things never stay the same.

Wilkie
10-06-2013, 05:40 PM
So does this thread also not count as a Cast relevant thread? :bigsmyl2:

dtknowles
10-06-2013, 05:51 PM
I am guilty, I have not posted a technical cast bullet post in months but it is still too hot here so I am not casting bullets. I have been sizing, loading and shooting but nothing out of the ordinary has happened. When I start back up casting this winter maybe I will have something to discuss but maybe not. I will just be restocking the boolits I have expended over the summer. If I can't restock my power and primers it will hardly be worth casting more boolits.

Tim

Char-Gar
10-06-2013, 06:19 PM
Just an observations gents, not a criticism. They way posts are added every minute, a snapshot at any given time won't give the real picture. It is my observations that that is far more chit-chat and non-related subjects as time goes by. Maybe, I am right and maybe I am wrong, but it sure seems to me this is the way it is.

Again, not a criticism, just an observation so no reason for anyone to get their knickers in a twist about it.

The reference to Facebook was a reference to "social media", a place where folks do social things. This is opposed to a place where the technical content is the principal goal and purpose. I suppose many folks need some sort of a community to belong to and a place to go and talk about what is on their mind, and ask how to rebuild a toaster or whatever.

Just my observation that this board is morphing into a social media place.

BruceB
10-06-2013, 06:23 PM
For my part, I always enjoyed starting threads on some little-discussed cast-bullet topic.

Unfortunately, my physical problems have prevented much activity in this line for the last twenty months or so. My total number of rounds fired in that time period is likely less than fifty, and I haven't even cast that minimal number of bullets.

I will be relocating to a "bachelor pad" in Reno in the near future, and hope to become an active participant in our sport once again....with the able assistance of my friend NVCurmudgeon. Then we'll see about generating some new things to discuss.

As it is, I haven't even SEEN the inside of my shop since January of 2012, so setting up a new place is taking a lot of my current thinking and planning. The actual casting stuff will be located at NVC's place just south of Reno, but I'm likely going to try for a loading bench in my yet-to-be-found apartment.

The comments about how things change in our website as time passes are quite correct. It also applies to personal conditions.... time rolls along, bringing changes as it passes. I surely never expected my retirement years to be spent in the condition I now find myself.

btroj
10-06-2013, 06:23 PM
I long for more technical info.

The social aspect doesn't bother me so much but the lack of technical discussions does.

Airman Basic
10-06-2013, 06:28 PM
This group is so much more live than any other site I can find, it's not even close. Y'all keep up the good work, irregardless of topic, please. Us folk in the piney woods are appreciative.

jmort
10-06-2013, 06:34 PM
"This group is so much more live than any other site I can find, it's not even close."

Yes indeed

geargnasher
10-06-2013, 06:39 PM
Lots of topical discussion going on, you just have to look for it. Unfortunately, the more knowledgeable are posting less and less as it seems there is less positive interest in the esoterics of the hobby. I'm burned-out on "why is my 9mm leading" threads.

Gear

dragon813gt
10-06-2013, 06:41 PM
As a newer member I very rarely come into this forum. There are so many subforums that I go to the specific one I'm looking for information on. I think that's where all the technical threads have migrated to.

quilbilly
10-06-2013, 06:46 PM
As a newer member I very rarely come into this forum. There are so many subforums that I go to the specific one I'm looking for information on. I think that's where all the technical threads have migrated to.
That is how I started out in this forum. Now I thoroughly enjoy keeping up with lives and thoughts of the people with whom I have so much in common.

btroj
10-06-2013, 06:49 PM
Lots of topical discussion going on, you just have to look for it. Unfortunately, the more knowledgeable are posting less and less as it seems there is less positive interest in the esoterics of the hobby. I'm burned-out on "why is my 9mm leading" threads.

Gear

Your 9mm is leading? Maybe you need a better lube!

Technical posts exist, they just get lost in the noise.

500MAG
10-06-2013, 06:50 PM
I haven't been here that long but I have noticed a huge change since the whole ammo shortage and abundance of people starting to reload. The thing I have noticed the most is an increase in nastiness. People are quick to jump down someone's throat and lash out at them. I may be wrong but it seems that way to me.

Driver man
10-06-2013, 06:54 PM
The wealth of knowledge available here provides me with many hours of study and general reading. The topics are so varied that a search will shine a light on virtually all matters related to firearms,lubricants boolits j words dies presses etc. Far more than ill ever be able to read as it keeps on growing, but the side effect is that you get to know a little of the characters of the contributers and as you become more involved with this site you fit in and want to know where so and so is or how such and such got through an operation and if etc etc. In other words we have become a community with mutual concerns and a common interest. It may well be that more and more posts are about other than cast boolits but i say great, I enjoy the mix of things and this site gives me a link to like minded people, many whom i feel i know and in a world rapidly growing more and more insular and isolated I think this site is a good thing . Just my 2 cents worth.

cbrick
10-06-2013, 07:25 PM
I've spent a lot less time here since I bought the house a year and a half ago but I'm with Gear, it's get's pretty old trying to answer the same questions for the 200th time. Things like, "I got this ingot, what is it"? "Will it make good bullets"? "My bore is leaded, why"? Then of course it also gets old when ya describe the scientific aspect of the topic and someone will jump down your throat because after all, their grand dad didn't do it that way. I was actually told to F*** O** by one of our vendor sponsors only he didn't use stars, he spelled it out. My crime? I listed the prices and options in a group buy thread. I've explained to one member a half dozen times that it's impossible for his sawdust flux to sink to the bottom of the pot and ruin his boolits but to this day he is posting that it does. After a while ya feel like "why bother"?

As for the OP, yes, it has changed a lot over the years. Probably inevitable with the huge increase in membership. Some of it is good, some not so much. Bottom line is this is still the single best site on the web for casting, shooting, handloading, tools, technique but most of all for some really great folks with like minded interests.

Rick

Blammer
10-06-2013, 07:51 PM
Yeah, true, Charles, when they(we) called you Charger in lieu of CharGar. The board was almost 100 percent free of ads and folks selling stuff. Sooner or later, it seems, everything turns commercial which encourages a different clientèle. We were almost purely technical back then. ... felix

with all the advertising I still don't understand how come they call for donations every year.

junkman1967
10-06-2013, 08:00 PM
I love this site. I like the social aspect as much as the technical. There is nastiness everywhere on the net, you just have to filter it out. If I ask a dumb question and get a snarky answer, I just blow it off. Life is way to short to be angry. I have always lived by the motto "Always be nice to everyone you meet, because you have no idea what they may be dealing with in their private life"

MUSTANG
10-06-2013, 08:01 PM
I am guilty, I have not posted a technical cast bullet post in months but it is still too hot here so I am not casting bullets. I have been sizing, loading and shooting but nothing out of the ordinary has happened. When I start back up casting this winter maybe I will have something to discuss but maybe not. I will just be restocking the boolits I have expended over the summer. If I can't restock my power and primers it will hardly be worth casting more boolits.

Tim

For a couple of years I monitored this site before actually becoming a member, and then like many struggled to overcome the reluctance to being an actual contributor. As many who read these pages, I would rather be reloading and shooting than reading and commenting on "Social Issues". Unfortunately as DTKnowles implies, if finding Ball-Powder-Primer-Case becomes difficult, then what is left is social discourse on the topics we would rather be practicing.

Like many of the older and more experienced contributors to this forum, I have changed my lifestyle and that has impacted my ability to contribute, hopefully for a shorter rather than longer duration. I understand the predicament of those who have carried the torch of knowledge and practical experience in these pages for many years, I experienced parallel condition many years ago in one of my other activities, Instructing SCUBA diving. One day I found myself stating to a student "I have told you this several times"; and realized that it was not true. I had literally taught many thousands of students, and reached the point where they were blending together. I took a break for a couple of years in Teaching SCUBA after that, felt it was not fair to the students that they were not receiving the full benefit of the knowledge and experience that had placed me on the road of instruction in the first place.

My bottom line: I will seek to follow Bruce B's lead and identify areas that will spark my interest as well as others, and put the time in to develop and publish more data on my pursuits. Through this, hopefully many of those reading will get a benefit, even if the immediate reaction I might want to have is "But I've all ready told you this before".

Best wishes, find a new esoteric area of Cast Boolits/Swaging to explore, and enjoy. To borrow from the old Star Trek mantra "May Cast Boolits Live Long and Prosper".

Mustang

Calamity Jake
10-06-2013, 08:09 PM
I"ll keep it going, the two guns involved, the top a Marlin 336 Cowboy in 38-55 with a Steve Baldwin
long range sight. The other is a 92 Rossi 24" 45C. The sight fits both guns.

http://photos.gunloads.com/images/CalamityJake/img0004640x480.jpg

The boolits used in the 38-55 are a Houch Nose pour 265gr and a Lyman 375248 both beagled to .381
and sized to .380, cast in 50/50 lead/WW AC and NRA 50/50.
The 45C is not a true colt boolit but an RCBS 45-185 ACP boolit cast in the same mix sized to .454
with NRA 50/50.
The Houch boolit is in the center.
The load for the 38-55 for both boolits is 8.5 gr. Green Dot with a dacron filler lit with a LR primer.
The 45C load is 6.5 gr Vit. N320 lit with a LP primer

http://photos.gunloads.com/images/CalamityJake/img0005640x480.jpg

Below is how they shot, benched @ 100 yards. The left target is the 45C the 2 low shots are from a cold barrel
there are 8 shots in the other group.
The right of course is the 38-55 it is 10 rounds 5 of each of the 2 boolits above with no change in sight settings.
The low shot is also from a cold barrel.

http://photos.gunloads.com/images/CalamityJake/img0003640x480.jpg

Enjoy, I did!!!

Guesser
10-06-2013, 08:23 PM
I'm here for the technical aspects. I don't socialize. Don't visit "our town". I select my threads and topics carefully, only 9 get my attention on a regular basis. If I want to BS with people I go to the coffee shop or the gun shop or the barber shop.

waksupi
10-06-2013, 08:30 PM
with all the advertising I still don't understand how come they call for donations every year.

Yeah, Ken doesn't need anything to live on.

Love Life
10-06-2013, 08:36 PM
I'm here because I heard there was free punch and pie.

Quick, somebody ask me if you can shoot a gas check designed bullet without a gas check!!

leeggen
10-06-2013, 08:49 PM
Char-Gar, if it wasn't for you and others on here many of us that have finally gotten the time and money to start shooting new guns, to us anyway, have a really informative place to get lots of material. I have just started shooting the 40 S&W about 6 months ago, after haveing read a bazillion threads on here I started to cast for it. To my surprise in just a few mistakes and some more reading I found what went wrong and corrected that, all from this forum that you and others like you have built a base for the newer people to use. Yes I posted my success and a few congrats later I was back to reading on the 45acp yip success again in the second try, first the boolits were to hard. It doesn't take asking and getting " oh no not another same ole same ole" lecture about you go look in stickys and you shall find your answer. All we need to do is read, BUT finding that info. on here can be frustrating. Just tpye in casting for the 40 S&W, you will get a million not related at all threads.
So what does a body do, ask! Now I know about Google search cast boolit forum wow angain now no need to ask. Most people are so saturated with answering our question you get flusted with us but we have just asked for the fist time , atleast to us.
I agree with you this forum has alot of social med. in it. But Obama has caused some of it cause we are afraid to tell to much about our development it munitions.
Yep a revolution is com'n, maybe even a Mexican standoff. Castboolits follower are ready cause we have the knowledge.
Thanks to all you ole timers!!!! teee hee ole timers hahahahaha!
CD

cheetah
10-06-2013, 09:46 PM
500mag beat me to it.
Did you ever go to a Chevy forum and ask how to change a headlight in a Cavalier? What's the response from the know-it-alls?
"Should'a bought a Ford."
"What kind of ******* buys a Chevy."
"You still have one headlight, why worry about this one now?"

I just don't need the aggravation.

KYCaster
10-06-2013, 10:26 PM

GET IN LINE!!!!

Quick, somebody ask me if you can shoot a gas check designed bullet without a gas check!!

Yes.............No...............Maybe............ .......Sometimes............

Jerry

Reg
10-06-2013, 10:33 PM
The wealth of knowledge available here provides me with many hours of study and general reading. The topics are so varied that a search will shine a light on virtually all matters related to firearms,lubricants boolits j words dies presses etc. Far more than ill ever be able to read as it keeps on growing, but the side effect is that you get to know a little of the characters of the contributers and as you become more involved with this site you fit in and want to know where so and so is or how such and such got through an operation and if etc etc. In other words we have become a community with mutual concerns and a common interest. It may well be that more and more posts are about other than cast boolits but i say great, I enjoy the mix of things and this site gives me a link to like minded people, many whom i feel i know and in a world rapidly growing more and more insular and isolated I think this site is a good thing . Just my 2 cents worth.

Well put Sir, very well put.
Have to keep in mind that with time, all things change. There is no way anyone will ever stop change but controlled change going in a good direction will equal good change. If we didn't have change we would all still be saying there is no better cartridge than the 32-40 ( unless it was the 33-40 ) and still be using Leopold's Lube.
Yes, the manors of some here have changed a bit but then again, look at the world around us. You feel offended , well, look at the remarks made by some of the nitwits that post on most of the major news sites. Such would not be allowed here and this is good.
As far as this business of ponying up and chipping in to keep the site up and running. Yes, some of the information does become a bit repetitious but it seems on more than a regular basis some new find is made, some new idea comes up and believe me, you will see it here long before you see it anywhere else. I have a stack of notebooks approaching my height that I have collected through the past few years on things I have found in very few other places and very often when found there , they will reference back to here. Other than the Rifleman that I receive and will receive forever because of a Life Membership, I have dropped every other publication. There is far more here to be found than in all of the other sources out there combined.
When the call goes out each year, I try to be the first or at least one of the first to put something in the pot. An investment well made.
One thing I have noticed is that on a number of subjects, I have gotten good reply's from other members in the form of PM's that could possibly have been of interest of others as well. If you see something that interest you, send a PM and ask questions. I have NEVER been refused a answer and have many times gotten much more back than I ever would have imagined. I try to offer the same in return.
See something you want to happen--- participate.

capt.hollis
10-06-2013, 10:42 PM
I'm a fairly new member on here, and have gained tons of knowledge here thanks to you guys helping me out. One thing I do see that can keep a guy from asking or donating knowledge is that you'll always see someone comment to a question or to a post "you need to read the sticky" . Maybe the guy don't have tons of time on his hands to read through all the stickies. I'm sure if he'd seen the sticky he'd never posted the question in the first place. Help a guy out , or at least tell him which sticky it is. Just sayin

rockshooter
10-06-2013, 11:07 PM
Well, I just sorta sit here in the background and learn. I've been reloading/casting for 40-odd years now and still get info from this forum. I'll interject if something pops up that I can help with but otherwise I just enjoy what's here. I too get tired of the same questions, and wish some would read the FAQs first, but I remember when I didn't know what questions to ask even. I like to read how some of the known characters deal with issues. Winter's coming on, and I'll be spending more time getting ready for Winnemucca in the spring. SE Idaho can be sorta dreary in the winter, so you folks please keep up the chitchat, technical or not.
Loren

runfiverun
10-06-2013, 11:22 PM
I remember the discussion I had with ken about starting the "our town" section.
I was sitting where I am now, and he was at our family's dining room table
we were both on the boolits sight at the time :lol:
he basically started the section because he [and others] wanted to keep up with the "kids" and members here and elsewhere [the graduations, the failures, and triumphs of life]
and thought others were interested also.

Hamish
10-06-2013, 11:36 PM

The question is, can I shoot a gas check without a boolit, using slow mil-surp powder, in steel cases.

I'm afraid that too many of us are in Bruces boots,,,,,,

bangerjim
10-06-2013, 11:48 PM
I check ALL new posts....several time a day........from my office computer, iPad, and iPhone.

I skip the ones I care little for (80%) and read the rest.

I have have learned a lot and hopefully shared a lot of info since I logged on the 1st time. Most was about boolit technical stuff, some about toilets, cooking, and general BS. It is fun!

banger

rockshooter
10-07-2013, 01:02 AM
"The question is, can I shoot a gas check without a boolit, using slow mil-surp powder, in steel cases."
Gas checks are pretty light and short, so, depending on the twist rate of the barrel, you might want to try a faster powder. OTOH, they might tend to flip over and exit endwise- you might try putting a boolet on the front of them jut to keep the check oriented perpendicular to the rifling. Sounds like a fun project.
Loren

randyrat
10-07-2013, 01:38 AM
I'm a fairly new member on here, and have gained tons of knowledge here thanks to you guys helping me out. One thing I do see that can keep a guy from asking or donating knowledge is that you'll always see someone comment to a question or to a post "you need to read the sticky" . Maybe the guy don't have tons of time on his hands to read through all the stickies. I'm sure if he'd seen the sticky he'd never posted the question in the first place. Help a guy out , or at least tell him which sticky it is. Just sayin Bingo I agree..

warf73
10-07-2013, 02:29 AM
with all the advertising I still don't understand how come they call for donations every year

Yeah, Ken doesn't need anything to live on.

Not to step on any toes but, it doesn't say donations for Ken it says for the site.

Hounddog
10-07-2013, 03:04 AM
I am very thankful to all the wonderful contributors on this board. Because of all your knowledge and help I am reloading and casting for all my firearms. Being relatively green here I don't contribute much but I do visit and read as much as possible. I do have a suggestion. Maybe we could implement a section for all noob reloaders and questions. This way a noob could post any question there, as redundant as it may be, and others could answer. This would free up this forum for more serious boolit discussion. If you get tired of reading the noob questions just skip over the noob section. Sounds like a win win to me.

Hounddog

Shiloh
10-07-2013, 11:40 AM
Still a ton of good info on this site. As I've learned over the last 60 years things never stay the same.

I cast better boolits, reload and shoot them better from info gleaned from this forum.

SHiloh

AlaskanGuy
10-07-2013, 11:53 AM
Guys... I probably never would have gotten into casting as far as i have without this forum. This forum is a library of congress for cast info... The folks here a friendly and helpful. There is nobody in my neck of the bush that casts, so mostly, i have self taught... I have been reloading for decades, but casting has added a new dimension, and i am totally excited again like i was when i first started reloading... I have learned sooooo much from you guys, and i am in your debt. I believe that it is our mission to teach and pass on, and this forum does just that. And i dont mind sending prayers out to folks, or share other stuff with folks that share the passions that i do... Tis forum has been a true blessing for me.... Thanks to all that slug through the same ole questions again and again and still answer the noob questions. I totally appreciate you and do not take you for granted... This place is a community, and a fine one at that...

Just my 2 cents...

Alaskan

Victor N TN
10-07-2013, 12:29 PM
Sorry I haven't been adding anything useful. But I've been sick again. Oncologists can really ruin your day, week, month or life. (But I guess it's better than the alternative. Or that's what they keep telling me.) I'll be strong enough to try to re-start casting again... hope fully.

Char-Gar
10-07-2013, 12:29 PM
Change is the only unchangeable thing in life. This board bears zero resemblance to what it was in the early days and seems to change on a monthly basis. I no longer think that is a bad thing, it is just an "is". There was a time, when it troubled me greatly, but no more.

When the Internet was in diapers some bullet casters bumped into each other on an old multi-forum board called Shooters.com. As a result of this encounter and the exchange of information the art/craft of bullet casting took a giant leap forward. In the course of life, Shooters.com went belly up and the small community shattered. Most tried to find each other and regroup with several temporary homes. This place was finally set up and folks settled in. There are very, very few of those original around anymore and that is a true pity. Those guys really knew their stuff.

What you have today, is what you have today. The numbers have shot through the roof and the place is the only source of income for the owner, so it has developed to accommodate that need. The biggest issue was the transition from being "our" place to "his" place with his rules. We never through it would become owned by anybody, but just a camp sight in the woods where we could gather around the fire. Nobody knew it would morph into what it has become (i.e. a commercial operation).

What it has become, suits the needs of lots of people, as many of you have expressed. I am OK with that, although it meets no particular need of mine. I hang around and try to share what scraps of knowledge I have gathered from my betters, filtered through experience. Most everything truly worth knowing in life, is handed back to us, by those who have gone this way before.

There are a few folks who don't like my point of view and willingness to express it and from time to time, try to run me off, but still I muddle on..

I am 71 now but can still get up, load, cast and shoot. I creak and creep a mite, but thus far I am still in the fight. I really do pray for you guys, who drew the low card at the doctor's office. All of us will draw that card, some sooner than others, so we need to support and care for each other in these difficult times in life. My day is a comin sooner rather than later.

Best wishes to all of you...

MBTcustom
10-07-2013, 02:26 PM
Change is the only unchangeable thing in life. This board bears zero resemblance to what it was in the early days and seems to change on a monthly basis. I no longer think that is a bad thing, it is just an "is". There was a time, when it troubled me greatly, but no more.

When the Internet was in diapers some bullet casters bumped into each other on an old multi-forum board called Shooters.com. As a result of this encounter and the exchange of information the art/craft of bullet casting took a giant leap forward. In the course of life, Shooters.com went belly up and the small community shattered. Most tried to find each other and regroup with several temporary homes. This place was finally set up and folks settled in. There are very, very few of those original around anymore and that is a true pity. Those guys really knew their stuff.

What you have today, is what you have today. The numbers have shot through the roof and the place is the only source of income for the owner, so it has developed to accommodate that need. The biggest issue was the transition from being "our" place to "his" place with his rules. We never through it would become owned by anybody, but just a camp sight in the woods where we could gather around the fire. Nobody knew it would morph into what it has become (i.e. a commercial operation).

What it has become, suits the needs of lots of people, as many of you have expressed. I am OK with that, although it meets no particular need of mine. I hang around and try to share what scraps of knowledge I have gathered from my betters, filtered through experience. Most everything truly worth knowing in life, is handed back to us, by those who have gone this way before.

There are a few folks who don't like my point of view and willingness to express it and from time to time, try to run me off, but still I muddle on..

I am 71 now but can still get up, load, cast and shoot. I creak and creep a mite, but thus far I am still in the fight. I really do pray for you guys, who drew the low card at the doctor's office. All of us will draw that card, some sooner than others, so we need to support and care for each other in these difficult times in life. My day is a comin sooner rather than later.

Best wishes to all of you...

Well you're entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to mine, and I think your point of view sucks, and is wrong. Ken makes practically nothing off this site, and if it weren't for careful moderation, done his way, this place would be just like all the of the foul mouthed forums out there. This place is special and it reflects Kens management style.
You disagree with the way this place is being run, but its about the cleanest, most informative website I have ever seen.
Furthermore, there have been some pretty shocking advancements made in the last few years, and nationwide participation in this sport is at an all time high. Castboolits.com is a big part of that, and if it weren't for Ken, that wouldn't be the case.
If your bent about the donation drive we do once a year, there is a very good reason for that, and it has nothing to do with Kens pocketbook.

bruce drake
10-07-2013, 03:38 PM
CastBook anyone????

I'm like others. Since I retired in June my shooting and casting opportunities have been pretty rare. But I'll be shooting and casting as soon as I can.

Bruce

Mooseman
10-07-2013, 03:57 PM
Some people complain about a free lunch...go buy your own software and pay server fees and storage fees and start your own forum if you dont like it here !

Char-Gar
10-07-2013, 03:57 PM
Tim...You sure read allot into my post that was not there, nor intended to be there. You are trying to read my mind and you are not very good at it.

I will say, you were not here in the early days and really have no basis to comment on the thoughts of those who were. You not only do not understanding what I said, but you are taking umbrage about things with which you have no knowledge, history or experience. I will be happy to dialog with you, if that is your wish, but not here in a public forum.

I do make a donation each year toward the server fee and don't resent doing that. I do so gladly, nor do I resent anything the owner makes from this board. I said nothing that should lead you to think that. I only said, that in the beginning the folks who came here did not know it would turn into a commercial operation. This difference of the purpose of the board and how it was perceived by various peoples, was the reason so many of the early members left. That is the truth and just a historical perspective and says nothing about what is has become, nor my feelings and thoughts about it. I was very intentional about not going there, so do not suppose nor assume you know what is in my mind, for certainly you do not.

Unlike some others on this board, I do have some level of respect for you, so I will just cut this post off here.

Char-Gar
10-07-2013, 04:01 PM
Some people complain about a free lunch...go buy your own software and pay server fees and storage fees and start your own forum if you dont like it here !

Gee Whiz...I don't remember saying I didn't want to be here. Another wannabe mind reader that fails the entrance exam. So much for an understanding bunch of guys where a fellow can feel free to post without fear of being attacked. Jeeeze...

I was not, did not, nor intent to complain about anything. I was just talking about the nature of change in all things including this board. I am not the least bit unhappy about what this board is, I just know it is not what it once was, but that is the nature of all life. Change is here to stay. That was the point of the post, which obviously you missed. I am not certain what skills are needed to be a "Master Gunsmith" but it would appear that well developed reading comprehension is not among them.

You are not the first one, who has wanted me to leave, and you won't be the last because it won't work.

Love Life
10-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Rabble, rabble, rabble!!!!

btroj
10-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Charles, I know what you mean. It is different. Not all good, not all bad, just different. Old friends are gone. Hard to make new ones.

Many noobs, makes for a different vibe. Lots of noob questions. Not a complaint, a comment.

Change is always going to happen. Having been here for quite a while I miss some of the old guys too. Bret and Bass in particular.

All we can do is make the best of what we have. This is the best site I have found.

Char-Gar
10-07-2013, 06:22 PM
Yap...Bret and Bass are truly missed along with many others who have moved on. But such is the way of it I guess. Bigness brings all kinds of changes, and some of them are very good and some of them are not. I don't find the non-cast bullet posts to be a negative issue, I was just surprised to note how many there were. I am something of a student of Cultural Anthropology and I found this shift to be interesting and worthy of notation. I sure didn't think it was a fight starter. I can go to The Pit anytime if I want to enjoy a fight and not come here.

Apparently some folks are so heavily invested here, that any kind of objective commentary is threatening. Noting change is not any kind of criticism, at least I didn't think it was.

You are so right, that we must make the best of what we have. There are so many good people and good things here, that it is worth sticking around. I just wish folks could be a little more grown up about such things and not be so easily upset and quick to attack.

Onward and upward, or whatever :-)

Ajax
10-07-2013, 07:05 PM
I agree with Charles on this one . All he did was make a observation and his opinion known and for that he was berated and talked down to by staff. I for one do not like this trend we are seeing here with the off topic posts. But it is the nature of the beast.

Andy

olgandalf
10-07-2013, 07:53 PM
I wound up on this thread while looking for load data for 32 ACP. I almost always enjoy coming on this site. I'm not even a noob yet--I only buy cast boolits and load them rather than cast them. I'm hoping when I retire (in June) I can. I only began to reload several years ago (not decades) after buying an SA GEW 88, and guys here helped me immensely with lots of patience. Especially considering that I ramble and sometimes sound like a know-it-all. I mostly lurk and enjoy listening to the grown ups talk, however grousty they may sound. Thanks to all who contribute to the site.

Love Life
10-07-2013, 09:16 PM
Maybe we have reached a saturation point for info? As members stay here longer, they glean the information needed to succeed. They choose to read, apply what they learned, and revel in their success.

Or fail and then try again.

You can only read on a stagnant subject so many times. Take the leading in the 9mm for instance. There are literal pages on the subject and the answers are simple:

wrong alloy
wrong lube
wrong size
try a different powder
checker your crimp and expander dies

Done.

Same for the gas checked bullet with no gas check:

Yes
depends on velocity
buy a mould with no check shank
ensure size and alloy are correct

Same for just about anything. The only ground breaking things to occur in the cast bullet world since I've been here are the bullet coatings, and the cool article on boat tailed bullets. Without the other sub forums, the main forum would die in time.

Now the new cast bullet cartridge is out and that is interesting as heck.

What I'm saying is, is that the change is goodish. New members come in seeking info to make their guns play nice. They get the info. They hang around and get to know everybody, and another member is added to the family.

I don't see it as terrible or great. It s just the way of things. I don't want to read something? Then I don't. I want to read something? Then I do.

Char-Gar
10-07-2013, 10:00 PM
[QUOTE=Ajax;2420107]I agree with Charles on this one . All he did was make a observation and his opinion known and for that he was berated and talked down to by staff. I for one do not like this trend we are seeing here with the off topic posts. But it is the nature of the beast."

I missed the fact that both these guys are staff, but looking back they indeed are. That puts their response in a different light. It looks like they gang up on folks who see things different from the official line. They totally misconscrewed my post and now I know why.

texassako
10-07-2013, 10:05 PM
It is the same way on many forums. It grows and the core group of original members miss the old days of friends and less new members. I have seen several different paths forums have headed down when they grow. There is a balancing act of making it welcome to new members and keeping the long time members interested in staying. I think this forum has been doing well in having some technical threads while also accepting the new member questions. One forum in a different hobby of mine had a similar issue so the long time members started a discussion brainstorming ideas and theories they would like to see discussed, made a poll of the most popular topics, and set to work systematically testing and posting results.

runfiverun
10-07-2013, 10:30 PM
there are still some new and interesting ideas being tossed about the sight [at least to me]
some find just figuring out casting good boolits that are consistent interesting.
others are pushing the envelope as far as possible in other areas. [but they can't get there without the good casting first]

Love Life
10-07-2013, 10:37 PM
Does that mean I should use more heat? :bigsmyl2:

I love the forum as is. It has changed a bunch in the short time I have been here, but it is still nice. Very nice.

45 2.1
10-07-2013, 10:44 PM
others are pushing the envelope as far as possible in other areas.

Folks here probably won't hear about some of those things due to the climate generated by some..... and some of those things are simply people reinventing the wheel.

Piedmont
10-07-2013, 10:50 PM
One of the very first places I landed on the internet back in 1998 was the Shooters forum. I thought it was so cool I could converse with other guys who were casters. It beat just rereading those old Fouling Shots.

Many of our members have just died. Some of them long before their time (thinking of Jeff Stampler). This board reminds me of my mortality more than I like and it is troubling to hear of the health problems of those I feel I know (through their writing over the years), but who don't know me at all, like BruceB.

But the board was good back in 1998 and it is good now. I know we are on different servers with a different owner and different moderators, but it still feels like the same place to me and it is the best place on the internet.

Harter66
10-07-2013, 11:30 PM
When I signed on I had a 9mm, 32 Rem and 06' that were just giving me fits . I'd read dozens of stickies and a couple of hundred ''related '' threads. I tried harder,softer,different lubes,boolits that would barely chamber for their fatness . When I asked 'whats wrong w/this' ,I was sent to the stickies. ............ ummmmm ok but I've a 360 in my 3567 bore and 323 in the 3205 and 312 in the 310 throat w/the 305 muzzle w/generous lube stars......next Iwas told that Savage 06's don't have tight bores long throats/leades let alone 1-8.5 twists. I eventually got all of the copper and other fouling out of the bbls a hit a combo that worked and figured out how to ask the right needle pointed question. Now my 32 shoots faster and as accurate w/ plain based cast as it ever did w/jackets. The 9mm spent 3hr in Hoppes in an ultrasonic cleaner on several occasions the copper plating was finally gone and no more leading. The 06' got all sorts of special treatment and eventually a cut and crown . The cut an crown found the 300/308 part of the bore/groove and a knureled nose to hold more lube lead me to ask,'why do I have the 1st 4'' clean and the last 4'' clean a thick lube star and 4'' of horrible leading in the middle of the bbl ?''. I think it was WayneSmith that took the time to help me . Turns out that rifle has probably shot 1000s of way heavy jackets aggrevated by the dreaded roll mark crush.

I try to keep it techy, but sometimes it just begs to have someone say something witty.

gmsharps
10-07-2013, 11:49 PM
Variety is the key to life. i scroll through the posts and if one does not have an interest to me I just move on to the next. I am amazed at the talent and expierience on this forum and the willingness to share that knowledge. I have been reloading and casting for a long time but I learn more efficient and new ways to do things constantly due to this forum. I recently needed info for some lights for my backyard to illuminate a large area. One of the members here has more knowledge on lights than anyone has a right to know and gave me the answer in short order and I now have what I was looking for that the big light companys could not do. I am totally in his debt. I have seen threads on tractors and recently a way to wear a skinned out cat for a hat. Where else would you find something like that. It seems like we all come full circle and go back to casting for the most part though. I like this site and will be here as long as it is here and I am still around.

gmsharps

Ajax
10-08-2013, 05:16 AM
I want to apologize to the staff if i came off a bit harsh earlier it was not meant that way. I love this forum because it is a small town not just a site. I think the info garnered here is by far the best on the net and not just for cast boolits. The conversations here have taught me more about a wider range of topics than i ever thought possible on a gun forum. I love the tractor threads and the gardening threads. They have a way of letting our NEIGHBORS help each other.

Andy

Mooseman
10-08-2013, 06:05 AM
Gee Whiz...I don't remember saying I didn't want to be here. Another wannabe mind reader that fails the entrance exam. So much for an understanding bunch of guys where a fellow can feel free to post without fear of being attacked. Jeeeze...

I was not, did not, nor intent to complain about anything. I was just talking about the nature of change in all things including this board. I am not the least bit unhappy about what this board is, I just know it is not what it once was, but that is the nature of all life. Change is here to stay. That was the point of the post, which obviously you missed. I am not certain what skills are needed to be a "Master Gunsmith" but it would appear that well developed reading comprehension is not among them.

You are not the first one, who has wanted me to leave, and you won't be the last because it won't work.

My post was a statement of My Opinion , and it wasnt directed at anyone , just a General statement...seems you took it that way. My Comprehension skills are just fine and A Master gunsmith does a 4 year apprenticeship and 6 year Journeyman training for your information. I thought i was free to post my opinion yet you attacked me...Thats the pot calling the kettle Black ! I never said I wanted YOU to leave, so you are reading minds too...The world has been changing since the last Ice age and the last election if you hadnt noticed !

500MAG
10-08-2013, 06:15 AM
I know that the members that have been here for the long haul have a tremendous amount of patience. I haven't been here that long and I'm already tired of answering some of the same questions. I believe I've answered 3 people just last week about the gold and purple colors that they were afraid of in their alloy. I had a newbie get upset with me because I referred him to the google cast boolit search instead of answering his question about what % of tin to add to his alloy to fill out. I thought I was doing right. What was it? Give a man a fish feed him... Anyway, unless I am mistaken, it is some of the newer members that have brought us the Epoxy and Powder coating methods that have brought me new and great enjoyment. I do pray for the patience that you all have had to sit through these same questions daily so we may carry on the cast boolit tradition.

Char-Gar
10-08-2013, 06:15 AM

So this statement was not directed at anybody and was just a general statement thrown in out of the blue and not a response to anything in this thread? You really expect me to buy that? I may be a little dense, but not that dense.

Char-Gar
10-08-2013, 06:21 AM
I know that the members that have been here for the long haul have a tremendous amount of patience. I haven't been here that long and I'm already tired of answering some of the same questions. I believe I've answered 3 people just last week about the gold and purple colors that they were afraid of in their alloy. I had a newbie get upset with me because I referred him to the google cast boolit search instead of answering his question about what % of tin to add to his alloy to fill out. I thought I was doing right. What was it? Give a man a fish feed him... Anyway, unless I am mistaken, it is some of the newer members that have brought us the Epoxy and Powder coating methods that have brought me new and great enjoyment. I do pray for the patience that you all have had to sit through these same questions daily so we may carry on the cast boolit tradition.

I see no problem with repetitive questions. There are alway plenty of folks glad to field them. For certain bullet casting is a craft that is ever expanding in knowledge.

Char-Gar
10-08-2013, 06:47 AM
Guys, I don't wear a badge here, but I would like to pull the plug on this thread for it has taken a bad bounce. I never intended my original observation to be a criticism of anybody or anything, just an observation. I did not anticipate the negative response and perhaps I should have done that. I was trying to benign, but tripped over my own feet. This forum is not the place for my sociological observation. I will make an effort not to repeat the same mistake.

I will now pick up the football and go home. The rest of you can stay and play, but you will have to find a new ball.

dondiego
10-08-2013, 09:44 AM
I started lurking on this site when it was at Shooters.com. Can't remember the year. I learned a lot about the old guys and felt that I actually knew them when really, I had never met them. What a bunch of characters! It's still my favorite place......but yes, It has changed!

Don

sparkz
10-08-2013, 10:09 AM
Thanks a Million Times Over. from a Dad to all of you Guys

I feel Very Luckie to Have found this site,, I admit I read much more then post tho, the knowledge here is so vast that any and every question related to reloading of any kind will get a number of answers, I have learned much and have lots left to learn from the site and some members have been such a big help to get us started in loading brass and more still to step up to cast,, with out this site we proly would never had gotten so far so fast

Thanks for this site and a bigger thanks to you guys who are long timers here as you have taken that time to answer that stupid question for the thousand time
My Son and I would had been lost with out you guys,,
you have helped in so many ways i can not start to think how many times
I am sorry for asking or making you guys run over same old ground, But for us you gave us that trust in info we could never have found with out you guys

Again Thanks to you guys for taking that time
you have started my 15 year old as well as his 53 year old Dad in a skilled hobby he will no doubt start and teach his kids,
As well as the Time I have spent with my son we will cherish for years to come Making and loading the Cast Boolit....
and for that Gift of time with him I thank each and everyone of you guys..

(Sean Talks about the Government Killing off Ammo sales in His lifetime and talks about how as
long as he has a primer and our tools he will be shooting, Smart Kid to have that Vision at 15 years Old)

Keeping the Silver Stream Alive, Until the EPA kicks in the door for our lead...haha

Thanks guys
Patrick & Sean Campbell
Lost Creek, Kentucky

sparkz
10-08-2013, 10:28 AM
Damn,,,,,, Did I miss the Pie?? is there any Punch left??

I have a Holy-Molie leaver action with a 75" twist,, Must I use a Gas Check with 900grains of Rocket Fuel 50 Powder shooting a 7003Gn HP Lead Boolit?

Okay Request honored
any other requests hahaha
we aim to please, hahaha

JWFilips
10-08-2013, 08:35 PM
You are probably right: This is one of the first forums where when I sign in I'm presented with a host of new post from my last visit! Other sites are not like this ...so It is easier to just go to the newest post and run down the list entering comments into the ones we see fit ( Mostly non boolit related) Other sites force you into the catagories: let's say cast boolits are your preference ...so you dwell in that realm of only cast boolits.
This forum is way different since it shows you all catagories when you sign in.
If you want cast boolit when you sign in: Click "forums " first and go where you are most comfortable ...If you want to run the gamut click on the "number" of new posts by your icon & name
SOOO if I want to co-mingle in all conversations I click on all new posts... If I only want to deal with Mould Maintainence I just go to "Forums" and pick a catagory and find it's new posts

BNE
10-08-2013, 09:10 PM
I don't do Facebook. This is the only sight I have bothered to join because when I bought my casting pot, I started Googling alloy questions. Almost EVERY search led me to this forum. All of those questions were technical and I appreciated the dfferent views. I have LOTS to learn still, but this forum has saved me lots of grief. The social aspect is a plus, but not what brought me in.

sljacob
10-08-2013, 10:47 PM
I stumbled onto this sight a little over 4 years ago while searching for some info on lead alloys, wow what a find!!

I had been trying to get into casting my own 45LC boolits with only fair success, within 5 or 6 months I had learned more about casting and loading cast than I could have in a lifetime on my own. The accumulative knowledge here is far beyond anything you could get from any book.
All though I seldom post, I have logged on here almost every day from day one, reading for hours some nights. Many of the members on here have become like neighbors to me, I enjoy hearing about there kids/grandkids,or there successes and failures, what they do for a living ect. just like my neighbors at home.
And just like my neighbors at home I can count on help or advice if I need it. We are in a lot of ways what small town America is all about and that IMO is why I log in every night.

1bluehorse
10-08-2013, 10:54 PM
Yeah, me too..I live for the technical aspects also (I'm a "techie". :shock:)..melt and smelt WW into clean ingots...stick ingots into casting pot and remelt and flux....pour molten lead from casting pot into bullet mould...open mould and drop bullets on towel, (actually I use a ironing board cover) or drop into water, (from a safe distance from said casting pot)............size bullets/or not, lube, paint, shake and bake, iodize, anodize,....what'ever...load in case and shoot from gun....if it leads the bore, shoots crooked,or otherwise malfunctions, you done sum-ting wooong.... and do you know where you can find the answers to your dilema ????? RIGHT HERE.....this site....it's a keeper....and whether it means anything to you or not CharGar, I think you're a fine addition here and I enjoy reading your posts...:2 drunk buddies:

waksupi
10-09-2013, 12:53 AM
Gosh, if someone gets bored with the new posts, go look in the archives! We have over a million posts on this board, many of them technical. I'm sure there are some that people have missed over the years, and it never hurts to refresh one's memory on a topic. If you find an old topic of interest, feel free to add on to it, and bring it back to life! I like seeing a long dead topic resurrected, and see what new input is added. Most times there is something new!

Shuz
10-09-2013, 09:58 AM

Ahhh, them were the days! I still appreciate this site tho--Shuz

TheGrimReaper
10-09-2013, 10:07 AM
Still my favorite site though!

451whitworth
10-09-2013, 10:35 AM
I only come here to read topics that involve:
1) 300 blackout
2) Fixing Lee moulds
3) People I don't know scoring 1/2 bucket of wheel weights

runfiverun
10-09-2013, 11:17 AM
I dunno, the lube quest thread was [and slowly still is] pretty good for a year and a half.
the discussion of copper alloys and how to get the copper in them was pretty decent too.
there's a pretty good thread about velocity, and another about alloy relationships for hunting going on right now that has helped a number of people.

dragon813gt
10-09-2013, 12:31 PM
Where is the alloy relationship thread? I can't seem to find it.

dverna
10-10-2013, 12:50 AM
You know, memory can be selective.

Anyway, I was not around during the early years but I agree that the same questions keep coming up time and time again. It used to bug me that some people did almost no work to get an answer but, now I don't see the harm. We can elect to help if we wish or ignore the thread completely. No one is keeping score.

I stopped participating on another forum I used to follow once or twice a day. It got boring and I realized there where only a handful of guys who knew what they were talking about and some yahoos would berate and insult them. It drove some good guys away and the forum suffered from it. Moderators are important so cut them some slack.

In a very few instances I have PM'ed people who I have grown to respect on this site and have received advice on a particular issue. My experience is the "good guys" (at least the ones I think are good guys) are willing to help if you do not ask a stupid question and you can show them you have done a modicum of homework.

I left this site for a while because I lost interest in casting and I was too busy to make pistol bullets that I could afford to buy. With retirement, things have changed and so the interest has rekindled. I have a couple of projects and they will provide hours of enjoyment and challenge.

Maybe in ten years I will look back and wonder what happened to "the good old days". I suppose that is normal. Like I said, memory is selective. I will forget the scores of posts about "my 9mm is leading" or "look at my first bullets" (that look like rejects) or "I am getting great accuracy with my first cast bullets" (and a picture of a 3" group at 7 yards). Maybe there will new "stupid repetitive posts" - I just hope I am around to complain about them, still casting, and still shooting.

Heck, I may even be PC'ing and Hi-Teking by then; if the Extreme Lube quest fails!!! LOL

Don Verna

silverpigeon
10-10-2013, 06:39 PM
I don't join forums very often. When I do I usually have a million questions about the topic at hand. I wouldn't have thought once about asking any of them without first at least skimming every search result for the answer (I knew the response I would get)[smilie=s:. Thankfully I got the answers I needed. Unfortunately I didn't get to converse with many of you. There's not much chance for a noob to feel involved reading search results.

I want to say thank you to everyone that is a part of this forum. I come here at least for a few minutes every day just to see what I can learn.

BeeMan
10-10-2013, 07:22 PM
The old shooters forum is where I first starting learning from this group. Sometime later (Aimoo?, early days here?) we had threads from JumpTrap about over pressure testing a Mosin, Linstrum was investigating ammonpulver, a brave few were learning to tame surplus IMR7383, Felix lube development was a big deal, and more. The extreme lube thread is probably the most like those old technical discussions. This place has evolved, for sure. In some ways it parallels the Rifle and Handloader magazine changes. The difference is you can still earn a 'PhD' here if you are willing to do the work.

old beekeeper
10-14-2013, 09:12 PM
I'm with silverpigeon, I am not a joiner, however, I did join this forum about a year ago, mostly because I had been a constant looker for years and finally felt ashamed that I had learned so much and had not contirbuted. I am 75, still going strong, been reloading about 50 years when my sons became interested in shooting, so I am not new to reloading, but I still believe that old dogs can still learn new tricks. I am very appreciative of the people who have made this forum what it is, and even if it is not 100% about just boolits, it is still very interesting and I expecially like the personal interaction among the members and it is easy to discern that there are some older members who have good feelings twixt and between. The only other forum I am a member of is the Marlin Owners group and they are about the only two I check out, mostly because anything I want to know I can find from either of the forums. Just hope it keeps on going.

Beekeeper

waksupi
10-15-2013, 12:26 AM
It's good for people to click on their name next to your post, and go to your posts. There should be a lot more posts in sections other than the off topic areas. If staff looks at someones posts and sees page after page in off topic, they very likely will get a reminder we are here for cast boolits.