PDA

View Full Version : Free Powder And Primers

Single Shot
11-01-2007, 07:18 PM
OK GUYS, THIS TAKES SOME DISCIPLINE BUT HAS WORKED FOR ME FOR A FEW YEARS.

Get yourself a Gander Mountain Credit Card.

They have a rebate program where for every $500 you spend in the store, or $2000 anywhere else, you get a $25 coupon good on any purchase. The coupon is good for a year after issue date.

I talked the wife into charging everything each month. Thats, gas, food, etc. Anything purchased each month. THEN THE KEY IS TO PAY OFF THE BALANCE EVERY MONTH SO YOU ARE NOT PAYING INTEREST.

I have purchased many pounds of powder this way and thousands of primers.

And unexpected household major repairs, such as broken sewer line or furnace work, can get you a few pounds of powder free.

floodgate
11-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Single/Shot:

We do the same with our Chase MasterCard, and get a modest rebate. But, the Credit Card companies have a name for those of us who pay in full monthly, and deprive them of their usorious interest:

Would you believe; "DEADBEATS"?

I recently got bit by my Sears Credit card; I paid off the monthly balance (as I always have done) the same day the bill came in; they held my check for three weeks and deposited it the day AFTER the payment due date, and hit me for about $40 in late fees and interest. Needless to say, the card went straight into the shredder, and I told them why!

floodgate

sundog
11-01-2007, 10:06 PM
Floodgate has it right - they call us 'deadbeats.'

This one happened to me. They arbitrarily changed my payment date cycle, and I didn't catch it. Instead of being the usual week early, I was days late. After a rather heated discussion and a letter concerning reporting of late pay to credit agencies, they 'very nicely' relented, changed the bill cycle back, and rest the late fee. They came damn close to losing a 'deadbeat' customer. In fact I used that term with a supervisor ( and in my letter), and of of course, he denied it.

Had another one that tried to tag on an annual fee after I had the card for years. Asked the guy if he wanted me to cancel the account, and he said it was company policy. Fine, says I, cancel the card. Well, uh, uh, .... Hasn't been a mention of it since and that was prolly 10-12 years ago.

A word to the wise - read your statement.

Jon K
11-01-2007, 10:27 PM
It's Cabelas for me, rack up the Cabelas bucks, and get........ what else.......shooting gear.

Jon

felix
11-01-2007, 11:06 PM
Yes, there is another way to make the cards pay off in your favor, and that has been a Godsend in my current situation. Of course, sometimes there is a small fee in association, but normally (to this family, anyway) this fee is extremely low, and the fee is a one time shot for a fixed amount of time for the credit limit (cash withdraw). These card invitations come through the mail. The invitations which indicate their card being offered must have the card's issuing bank pay directly to another bank are trashed in the round can. The card offer must include what they currently call convenience checks, with no strings attached to the cash withdrawn (small print). Upon a certain date, the card is paid off using cash from another having like characteristics. ... felix

44man
11-02-2007, 11:50 AM
I went into the Gander Mountain store in Winchester VA. Seems as if you can spend the $500 buying a few small items. I would sure use it in other stores. :-?

mooman76
11-02-2007, 01:30 PM
I had a company try to stick us with a late fee when we payed it on line. They got a good butt chewing. We also dropped Sears for their tactics of rotating due payments making it difficult to make payments when you have a balanced bugget not to mention Sears has a very high interest rate. Interest rated have dropped aloot int the past 20 years but allot of credit card companies like Sears never dropped their rates or did very little so they are making a fotune!

Boz330
11-02-2007, 01:38 PM
It's Cabelas for me, rack up the Cabelas bucks, and get........ what else.......shooting gear.

Jon

Me too. I use mine for some business expenses as well. Cut my business card up several years ago. You have to be careful to pay the card every month though or you incur interest from time of puchase on everything after that untill the card is paid up. Don't ask how I know.[smilie=1:
The other thing I do is use the card to get a Walmart prepaid card which gives 3 cents a gallon off on gas and diesil. Like getting 6 cents off plus Wally worlds fuel is typically cheapest around anyway especially their diesil.

Bob

targetshootr
11-02-2007, 02:02 PM
Gander Mtn is fun to visit but I wouldn't want to buy anything there.

Credit card companies are the same bunch that bribed Congress for the new bankruptcy bill that no longer allows exemptions even for deployments overseas. This country is no longer about people who work, it's about treating people who work as a resource to be exploited.

jonk
11-02-2007, 02:04 PM
I have a Citi Mastercard Diamonds reward card. I am saving up for a free trip to europe. I usually charge about $1500-$2000 per month and pay it all off, meaning I'll have enough points for a free airfare in about another 2 years (and the points expire in 3 so thats fine). I could cash the points in for a plasma tv right now but honestly, I don't need it- and while I might grumble about $25 for powder, I can take that a lot easier than the $3k tag on a trip to europe.

sundog
11-02-2007, 04:43 PM
yea, congress sees it's subjects as cash cows...

TAWILDCATT
11-02-2007, 04:47 PM
JONK:YOU MENTIONED POWDER I noticed in natchez cat most powders go for $15 to $18 if you order enough to cancel the haz-mat it would pay.:coffee: :Fire:[smilie=1:

Bret4207
11-02-2007, 06:49 PM
Gander Mtn is fun to visit but I wouldn't want to buy anything there.

Credit card companies are the same bunch that bribed Congress for the new bankruptcy bill that no longer allows exemptions even for deployments overseas. This country is no longer about people who work, it's about treating people who work as a resource to be exploited.

Well, I have to disagree a little. While I'm sure they went overboard, I have a next door neighbor (the guy who thinks a 2" white birch stick is a fence post) who's declared bankruptcy several times. First he did it, then the wife, the oldes son, daughter, on down the line. They have a a few 3-4 year old tractors and just bought a new pickup. The latest scam is lawsuits. People like this shouldn't be able to abandon their debt. You and I get stuck paying it off in the end.

I always said I'd never have a credit card. Then I listened to my wife. I'm still paying off credit card debt form 18-19 years back. It never ends. Stay away from them. PERIOD!

On the same subject- It was credit cards that financed the "90's boom economy".
The banks started issuing cards to everyone about the same time PC's became available. Check the history.

Poygan
11-02-2007, 08:52 PM
I retired as a budget counselor for a Consumer Credit Counseling Service after 16 years. Are there legitimate uses for credit cards? Yes. But credit cards come with many pitfalls. The obscene interest rates they charge is one. How come the bank pays .4% annual interest on checking and maybe 5% for certificates of deposit and in turn charge many multiples of the C.D. rate on their cards? Then there is the matter of late fees and over limit fees, which are the same if you owe a balance of $100 or $50,000. And how long does it take to pay off a balance when the monthly rate is 1.5% and your minimum monthly payment is 2%, or less?

In case you pay off your entire balance each month, you still aren't home free. Studies have shown that the average person (and you personally may not fit here) will spend about 30% more if they are using a credit card versus cash.

And yes, we have and use credit cards infrequently. More often, we use of debit card on our checking account. Personally, I use cash....

Rant over and I feel better now.

Single Shot
11-03-2007, 02:59 AM
WOW,

I guess my wife and I are an exception. We both have used a credit card for over 30 years and have never paid any interest.

Instead of "buying more" we have actually used the statement to track expenses so we stay on budget.

This is what both of us were doing even before I met her 34 years ago.

I guess I was raised to be financially responsible.

Together we were able to pay off our second house in 15 years though it was financed on a 30 year mortgage with no early prepay penalty

Last two vehicles purchased were a cash sale. And at 56 we are living debt free. This allows saving in advance for home repair, med bills, etc.

Not that we are big income earners, just that we set a budget and stuck to it.

Bear Claw
11-03-2007, 03:59 AM
[QUOTE=targetshootr;
Credit card companies are the same bunch that bribed Congress for the new bankruptcy bill that no longer allows exemptions even for deployments overseas. This country is no longer about people who work, it's about treating people who work as a resource to be exploited.[/QUOTE]

That is sooooo very true but it's not just retailers,,, There ( was ) a young couple who lived a few houses down the street from me, He is in the Air Force
Well He got deployed to the middle east leaving his wife and three kids set
( or so he thought ) in this house ( a rent house ) Well Mr. Landlord drops by about a month after the deployment telling the wife " You got 2 weeks ta git out I"m gona sell the house" They are from Texas and she had some family there, but she was near broke and her family was trying to help but there just wasn't enough $$$ So I rented a big U-Haul truck loaded em up and took em to Texas..........
"We all have to stick together"...............

:drinks:Bear Claw

Crash_Corrigan
11-03-2007, 04:22 AM
I had a Sear Premier Gold Master Card (Big Deal) and during a financial crisis I was late on a payment. They boosted the APR to 32.25% immediately! I called to complain and they would not drop it for six months! What thieves! I did a balance transfer deal with another CC company at 1.9% that cost me $75 for a one time fee on a balance of over 5K and paid off Sears and shredded their card.

Poygan
11-03-2007, 07:23 AM
Singleshot,

You and your wife have done exactly what my wife and I have done. Its not that it can't be done, its more the instant gratification mentality of our society plus generally a lack of financial training. Think of all the stress you have missed!

Bear Claw,

And a huge "Attaboy" to you for your kindness.

Bret4207
11-03-2007, 08:13 AM
Singleshot,

Bear Claw,

And a huge "Attaboy" to you for your kindness.

Ditto!

Sky C.
11-04-2007, 06:54 PM
Powder & primers are good... I converted mine into a FREE gun! The counter guys at Sportsman's Warehouse thought I was some kind of wiseguy as I would peruse the offerings and advise that I'd be in soon to collect my free gun. Then the day came and boy were there some eyeballs poppin' when I did in fact exchange those certs for a nice new Kahr in .45 ACP. Kid at the counter said he'd never seen it before!

It took me the better part of a year to accumulate that much with lots of business travel expenses charged and paid off. But boy was that FUN!

Aim high!

dmftoy1
11-07-2007, 12:22 PM
I do exactly the same thing with my gander mountain card. Works out nicely. I wouldn't buy my primers/powder there normally because of the prices but since it's "free" money I don't sweat it too much. Plus you get another 5% off in terms of add'l points for anything you DO spend there.

fourarmed
11-07-2007, 07:30 PM
Sears has a real problem at the head office. Another example: they routinely hold rebates for a long period of time, playing the float. I bought a service contract with a mower, and the first time I called for service, I was told I didn't have a contract, and in fact didn't have a mower. We had to go through our credit card company to get action. If I'd paid cash, I still might not have a service contract. Sears doesn't give a damn about individual customers, but Visa gets their attention.